PDA

View Full Version : NET Mini discs

gumpy green
17-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Anybody use a net minidisc??

What i want to know is say you have mp3s on your pc, when you transfer them onto the minidisc do you get more onto the disc than standard recording or do you just end up with the same 74/80mins worth of music.

Also, I know you can transfer mp3/wma from the pc onto minidisc but can you do the reverse....transfer music from minidisc onto pc???

Chazbloke
17-04-2004, 12:52 PM
NET MDs can compress the music to fit more onto the disc!
it can do this 2x or 4x, meaning you can get 80, 160 or 320 minutes of audio on 1 one disc (you can compress at different rates on the same disc)
when you do compress, you lose quality (the more you compress, the worser the quality becomes) BUT, i cant really tell the difference between a track which been 2x or 4x or not even compressed at all.
you can trasnfer WAV, MP3 for fact, WMA i dont know about, but would of thought so....
you can only transfer back to the PC what you have transfered off to the MD, meaning if you have recorded something "live" onto the MD, you cant digitally transfer that back to the PC :( or if your mate gives you a disc, you cant transfer any of that back to the PC :(
transfer speed is fast, alot faster then real time!! you can also set the transfer type to be "normal" so that the disc can play in older MD players, but you cant use the compression on that..
i've had MDs for years and my new NET one is the best of the lot so far! makes me laugh at all those with MP3 players that need to buy a £50 128MB card, when for £10 you can get 5 MDs with a total capacity of 1600 minutes of audio - 128MB card about 160 mins? 1 MD, 320 mins....
get one!
Chaz.

gumpy green
17-04-2004, 01:27 PM
thanks alot m8,

ive just ordered myself one of these for 80 quid, bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008AF67/qid=1082204406/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-3464231-5680431

bit of a bummer not being able to transfer back to the pc from disc tho..

like for example, if i record a mix onto minidisc it wouldve been nice to just transfer it back onto the pc and save as mp3, im still gonna have to record it using goldwave or the like.....

wonder why they dont allow this...its obviously possible if you can transfer back what you have transfered onto disc.

also you have said £10 you can get 5 MDs, i got 5md for 5.98 from amizon aswell and free delivery too.......... if your gonna be buying discs soon check these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007BKPW/026-3464231-5680431

once again thanks for your reply

Chazbloke
17-04-2004, 03:31 PM
like for example, if i record a mix onto minidisc it wouldve been nice to just transfer it back onto the pc and save as mp3, im still gonna have to record it using goldwave or the like.....

wonder why they dont allow this...its obviously possible if you can transfer back what you have transfered onto disc.

Sony's idea of copyright protection :roll:

cheers for the discs links - it's been years since i bought some new ones, they used to be bout £2 a disc, nice to see they have come down some more!

gumpy green
18-04-2004, 12:52 PM

Sony's idea of copyright protection :roll:

cheers for the discs links - it's been years since i bought some new ones, they used to be bout £2 a disc, nice to see they have come down some more!

well done sony, nobody will be able to copy music using md's now.....haha.

just wouldve been great after doing a mix to be able to do so....ah well, goldwave will do it for me.

cheers

djstride
20-04-2004, 12:01 PM
one downside is the net md saves all the music you transfer as its own format so you end up with basically a double of your mp3 collection somewhere in the sony folder.... /packages i believe

i have one though, they are ace.

gumpy green
20-04-2004, 01:48 PM
one downside is the net md saves all the music you transfer as its own format so you end up with basically a double of your mp3 collection somewhere in the sony folder.... /packages i believe

i have one though, they are ace.

surly tho you just delete these and keep the mp3,s

anytime you want to put the mp3 back onto md you can do it from the mp3.

what would be the need to keep these "other format" files???

duncandisorderly
13-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Anybody use a net minidisc??

What i want to know is say you have mp3s on your pc, when you transfer them onto the minidisc do you get more onto the disc than standard recording or do you just end up with the same 74/80mins worth of music.

Also, I know you can transfer mp3/wma from the pc onto minidisc but can you do the reverse....transfer music from minidisc onto pc???

you can also transfer mp3 files directly to the netMD and this will give you something like 80 hours (yes 80 hours / no typo) of music at whatever quality the original mp3 was recorded.

278d7e64a374de26f==