View Full Version : Old Skool Thunk

schlongfingers
19-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Just a bit of fun with an oldskool flava

http://www.whatgwan.com/thunk.mp3

NASA

mux
19-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Hahahah! This is awesome - I love the clarinet lead line. The bass is thick and punchy - and you sure weren't kidding when you said "oldschool"!

Only critique I've got is that the bassline is a little too loud, and the kick gets lost - maybe try using a comb filter on both the kick and the bass (offset a little, so they mix together nicely), or maybe layering another kick on top with more mid/high frequencies, like, say, a TR-505 kick.

Very cute! :clap:

schlongfingers
19-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Hahahah! This is awesome - I love the clarinet lead line. The bass is thick and punchy - and you sure weren't kidding when you said "oldschool"!

Only critique I've got is that the bassline is a little too loud, and the kick gets lost - maybe try using a comb filter on both the kick and the bass (offset a little, so they mix together nicely), or maybe layering another kick on top with more mid/high frequencies, like, say, a TR-505 kick.

Very cute! :clap:

Hey Nice One! Thanks a lot for the feedback, it's much appreciated

I've only got access to a guitar amp :oops: for the time being which I think explains the bassiness, it's difficult to get right e- specially when I can adjust everythin on the amp to get it sounding good to my ears rather than on my computer :D

Will follow your advice on the kick/bass mix and repost, thanks again for the comments!

The Divide
19-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Yea man, I like it too. Try checking this on some headhones (could be worth a try). I think once you get that level on the bass it should sound sorted. ;). I like that horror type sound at at the start, its almost as epic as the hoover

The Divide
19-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Only critique I've got is that the bassline is a little too loud, and the kick gets lost - maybe try using a comb filter on both the kick and the bass (offset a little, so they mix together nicely)

:shock: I have never tried this man, nice one :clap:

dan the acid man
20-04-2004, 12:39 AM
i feel like i should be going down the m25 to a rave :cool:

liking this alot, i agree with the other posts though as far as the bass and kick

Col
20-04-2004, 09:32 AM
this is cool, good use of the sample, and im lovin that jazzy edge. very good stuff.

Col
20-04-2004, 09:33 AM
this is cool, good use of the sample, and im lovin that jazzy edge. very good stuff.

good use of the "vocal" sample that is.

schlongfingers
20-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Cheers all for feedback, I'm having trouble getting that kick right though, think this is slightly better tho - http://www.whatgwan.com/thunk2.mp3[/url]

dan the acid man
20-04-2004, 10:40 PM
its sounding good, have you tried compressing the kick and the bass together, i find this helps them to sit better together

schlongfingers
20-04-2004, 11:59 PM
its sounding good, have you tried compressing the kick and the bass together, i find this helps them to sit better together

Cheers for the tip - yes I think that did make a difference, nice one!

278d7e64a374de26f==