PDA

View Full Version : New Track - Caught Up

Tyrisia
20-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Been workin on this for a couple of days now, needs some finishing touches but nearly there. As far as mixin down's concerned, I've still got me L Plates on in a serious way, so feedback welcome, especially on this point in particular.

Cheers :lol:

Click Me (www.tyrisia.com/Will_Bithell_-_Caught_Up.mp3)

mux
20-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Man, maybe it's just 'cause I'm from Canada, and you UK guys speak different English from us, but I have no idea what "L Plates" are. :)

Driving, hard, good bassline - mixing sounds pretty bang-on on my HR824's. Could maybe be tweaked a bit by a mastering guy to have a little more action in the upper frequencies, but I'd say it's pretty much done.

I have a single complaint - I'm waiting for a breakdown, and it comes, but each time it's the same breakdown - highpass filter on the low frequencies. Any chance of a different breakdown, like maybe a filtersweep, or some kinda 16th-note gapper effect, or something? Each time it goes into the breakdown, it feels like deja vu.

I love the filtering/phasing on the high synth at about 3:30, and the subtle distortions... great job on sound design! What are you using to make your noises?

Tyrisia
20-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Cheers Mux, thanx for the input! I see what u mean about maybe sweeping the filter or something at the breakdowns, could make it a bit more exciting.

L - Plates are what we stick on the front and back of cars when were learnin to drive, so u may now see what I mean!

As for sound design, all drum parts come from Waldorf Attack plugin, except the faint conga and another random noise, both of which are samples, all individually eqd and distorted by either the Fromage filter by Ohm Force or a resonant distortion module I made in Reaktor.

Bass from synths in Reaktor, and all other synth sounds from a Supernova 2, treated with Waves plugins, the phasing u like comes from Waves MetaFlanger I think - JimFish introduced me to the Waves stuff, they rock, but kill my poor 800MHz PC!

Anyway, will make some alterations and post again soon.

Glad the mix seemed ok on u're monitors, I'm actually only just getting used to my monitors (Absolute 2's) after three years, and so am off this weekend to the big smoke that is Manchester to buy some much better ones (probably Mackie 624's). Hopefully it won't take another three years to get used to them! :lol:

Col
20-04-2004, 09:26 AM
nice and energetic. drums are good. not too keen on the pads on the breakdown, or the synth sound used throughout though, it makes it sound too trancey for my liking. give it more of a filthy edge. a good track never the less.

Tyrisia
20-04-2004, 12:48 PM
This is a slightly altered version, a bit more variation with the filtering and arrangement

Click Me (www.tyrisia.com/Will_Bithell_-_Caught_Up-01.mp3)

Jimfish
20-04-2004, 03:23 PM
oh yeah man this is starting to get much better - mix is getting much better - youve pumped up yer bottom end a lot which is good - perhaps the percussion is still a little too seperated from the rest - or thinking about it maybe it sounds like that cos u aint got much in the mid.. try sticking a big open ride in there every now and again - perhaps quite quietly as a sort of 'glue' for that top end.

i though for about half way in the track was gonna don a big pair of pink hotpants, stick a dummy in its mouth and go all trancey.. but it didnt... well, a little maybe but ive allways thought pink is your colour ;)

good effort!

Jimfish
20-04-2004, 03:27 PM
try sticking a big open ride in there every now and again

that wont sort the excess seperation tho - just drop the vol on it a touch or maybe stick something in the mid.. how about taking a loop of the whole groove (minus the leads) track and delaying the **** out of it and eqing it into the midrange with a little distortion or somthing.. stick somthing like that in there quietly and it might just glue things up a little :)

Tyrisia
20-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Well Jim, thanx for the comments, I'll take note with the ride thing.

Dunno whether being into pink is a good thing or not - dunno, I think I might have to go meditate on top of a far eastern snow capped mountain for six months or so, just so I can be sure of my "inner colour" :lol: ;)

Cheers anyway...

Tyrisia
20-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I'll defo try something like that, although I'm gonna leave the bloody thing alone for at least two days or I'll kill it completely - at least I'm gettin to grips with my creative limitations :lol:

dan the acid man
20-04-2004, 10:01 PM
nice and melodic without being too trancey, but i agree about the mids

Tyrisia
21-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Well, sorted the mids out, tried jim's idea but got horrid phasing, so adjusted the eq on the snare group channel, and hey presto, sounds much better I think.

Click Me (www.tyrisia.com/Will_Bithell_-_Caught_Up-02.mp3)

paxus
24-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Sounds nice, the spectrum seems a bit short.
I guess the best way to describe it is that there's
too much falling to the low to mid frequencies.
I really like the overall sound, maybe mute the high
hats a little when it goes into its first break though. (1:47)
That way it comes back in with a little more power,
maybe? Really like the stabs and overall feel though.
I think its just mostly some eq stuff to workout. Good
stuff though, would love to spin this out sometime. : )

monotone
25-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Begins with lots of energy, sounds good. Only the melody
that comes in at 2 min I just dont like. I would try a different
more industrial sound, but hey thats my opinion. :D
On the whole.. good track ! :)

monotone
26-04-2004, 12:01 AM
and if you're planning to buy new monitors..

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1665&brandID=2

I bought these a couple of weeks ago, they sound clear and have a massive decibel output :D

278d7e64a374de26f==