PDA

View Full Version : Paul Birken

Sunil
20-04-2004, 03:49 AM
... one of my favourite producers, he seems like an unsung hero of sorts? The new Highball by him is superb, hats off to the guy :clap:

Dustin Zahn
20-04-2004, 08:34 AM
I just got back from the bar with him! He gave me a CD with some parts...we'll be finishing an EP together this week. :)

Paul's a top player man. Some of his techno may not appeal to fans of the swedish/glenn wilson sound but he's truly one of the most talented producers I know. It's simply crazy how he does things and everytime I go over to his studio it's completely rewired differently. Everytime he plays out live, he always brings different gear and you never know what you're going to get.

He also happens to be one of the nicest guys you're ever going to meet. I can't think of a single time he's talked negative about ANYONE even in the privacy of his own home (though I'm sure he keeps it bottled up ;)). You're right, he truly is an unsung hero who is just doing the techno thing for shits and giggles (he has a pretty nice office job) and doesn't care about the fame.

Unfortunately, he's never been to Europe to play and I really hope he gets the opportunity to play there more in the years to come (he'll be coming to Europe this summer just before he gets married!).

dtl
20-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Everytime he plays out live, he always brings different gear and you never know what you're going to get.

That's interesting... Has he got a herdwares collection similar to the numbers of one's records collection? :twisted:

I dig his stuff very much, tho the highball one sounds too similar to the one on Dont, latter one which I fully cained and used, simply superb.

Where exactly you boys from in the US?

Eric.

Tiptoe
20-04-2004, 11:52 AM
paul's stuff is brilliant. I could sit and listen to his tunes all day.

temp_er
20-04-2004, 12:30 PM
speaking of the devil... (http://www.computer-controlled.com/Computer_Controlled/Paul_Birken-Live@TheAcidHouse_03-26-04.mp3)
Some very neet stuff from this guy.

crime
20-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Very talented guy...
Don't 04 is a particular favorite...

Does wicked mashup livesets where he remixes loads of records along with his own stuff.... wicked

The Overfiend
20-04-2004, 02:08 PM
He's been on point for years.

Dustin Zahn
20-04-2004, 05:57 PM
We're all located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Another odd fact is that he does a good amount of record shopping, yet he's never DJ'd once in his life! How's that for showing support?

DJZeMig_L
20-04-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm down with his stuff aswell, it's really not fodder :)

Don't 4... Luv it! ;)

Z

Willy_Wonka
21-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Paul 'BBQ Aprons' Birken would love to see him play one of his live sets out over here - the old school retro electro live set that he and one of the other posse from Minneapolis (sorry dude, forgot ya name) was tip-top...

Prolly available on slsk, check it, its called Dinkytowner1

Dustin Zahn
21-04-2004, 12:51 AM
That would be Paul Birken and Hi-Pass label owner Scott Radke, performing as Rokken.

MARKEG
21-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Paul wanted to release 2 of our trax on his label but something held it up. I've never met him but I loved him over the e-mail. I wish he'd keep in touch more (but hey we're all responsible for this eh?!?!!?!!)

Paul is a good bloke in my eyes. I love his records and I think they fill a hole that is need in techno.

Respect to Paul. Massive sense of humour, lovely guy...

:clap:

JACKSTAR
21-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Paul Birken - Dirt Data (Jackstar 003)

Cool guy even if a little mad !!!

278d7e64a374de26f==