PDA

View Full Version : (MUX) 2004 Live-PA Demo CD

mux
21-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Holas,

Well, I finally finished my demo CD. Eight tracks of hardish rave techno(*) - I'd love to hear some critiques and feedback, good or bad!

http://mux.ca/music/2004_demo

If I had to pick, I'd say track 5 ("Eyesweat") is my favourite, with tracks 4, 5 and 7 shining brightest in the set.

This demo was recorded live in the studio - a single stereo pair off a Mackie CR-1604 into Logic, then arranged a bit, mastered a bit, and released. I am currently actively seeking bookings for my live set, so if you know of anyone in Western Canada (or anywhere else) looking to book a live act, please point them in my direction! ;)

(*): I don't know what else to call it, really. I've heard my stuff described as "melodic acid techno", and "acid trance", etc. I'm open to suggestions!

DJZeMig_L
21-04-2004, 09:42 PM
call it Mux Music! ;)

Z

mux
21-04-2004, 10:04 PM
call it Mux Music! ;)

Ehhhh - maybe if I were pushing any envelopes. ;) I'm not covering any new ground here, just following the guidelines set down by many before me. I'm aiming squarely for 3am in the main room, and trying to keep from taking myself too seriously. It definitely takes more from the D.A.V.E. the Drummer school of acid than the Chris Liebing school of techno, but there's also elements from oldschool trance and rave anthems... :)

(tho I appreciate the thought!)

xfive
21-04-2004, 10:28 PM
You definetly smashed it up when ya flew out here :rambo:

propzzzzzzz!!!!!

Tyrisia
21-04-2004, 10:33 PM
I've listened to the first two tracks so far, and they're both very interesting, well arranged, and soundin well mixed and full, and although not my usual cup of tea, I'm likin alot. I also like the live feel, I think makin tunes usin mutes on a sequencer is actually the way forward as far as buildin tracks is concerned. For this very reason, I bought an Emu XL7 and a Yamaha A3000, the Emu's a real good sequencer with the new OS, loadsa control etc, and I was hopin to put my own live set together sometime soon, but then I realised - apart from my mates and club promoters I know, who the hell is gonna know about me if I'm not releasin records?! :lol:

Your stuff, in my opinion is fairly unique, and that's what music is all about - u've got a sound of u're own, u need to get u're stuff on vinyl m8, then loadsa people will hear Mux Music (I ain't gonna catagorise either), check out u're website, listen to u're PA's, and hopefully - hey presto - u've got bookins galore in every country in the world!

It ain't an easy task, but secrectly that's what I really want as well, to play a stonkin live set to as many people as possible, as many nights of the week as I can, but vinyl is kudos, although in trying u might recieve bookins along the way, and it may, or may not come together for ya - but imho, that is the route that would work best to get u where u want to be - behind u're MPC twiddlin u're SH-101 with loadsa flashy lights etc and 500 people in front of ya goin bonkers :dance: :lol: !

I'll download the rest of u're tracks tonight and let u know what I think, but I do like what I've heard quite alot, and it ain't run of the mill stuff, which is good - stick to u're guns, but everyone producin needs dj spinnin their tuines man!

mux
21-04-2004, 11:04 PM
BAAAAAH! It was just pointed out to me that my "super fast mirror site" was actually linking back to the files hosted on my home ADSL connection. *sigh*. Ok, it should be a *LOT* faster now. Home == 60k/s ADSL, mirror site == 400k/s+ cascaded T3's. :)

Xfive: thanks, man - it was a load of fun to fly to the other end of the continent to play your show, even with all the sampler problems... :)

Tyrisia, thanks a lot for your kind words - I'm hopefully soon heading into a few months of nothing-but-studio time, and would like to have a bunch of tracks ready for vinyl at the end. Can you (or anyone else) suggest labels that would be interested in my style of music?

Tyrisia
22-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Right Mux, got them all dl'd, there's alot to digest so I've got no.1 playin right now and I'll write as I listen!

Like Robots - Like the vocal, bassline's interestin (what's that comin from?), like the lead line (I've gotta try an SH for size!), compression on the track is a bit obvious maybe (but easily fixed), I love the bassdrum, arrangement's good.

Bruja - Like the low synth sound, like the main lead/arpeggio, altho the intermittent lead is a little too acid for my likin, and the one that's just come in I like a lot, more of a sound effect maybe but good, drums are all where they should be.

Halflife - like the staccato synth at the start, arpeggio/lead thing again good, vocal really good, drums again all good, I think that's what u've really got goin for ya - I love the simmons, not too keen on the acid stabs, a little "normal" for my tastes.

Daytrip - like the stabby lead, and the acid stabs, bassline maybe a bit prominent, pad good, acid line at 2:50-odd a bit too acidy for my tastes, good atmosphere in this tho, I think another acid line came in a 4:20, which I do like, or maybe it's the other one filtered (gettin confused here!), good vocal again.

Eyesweat - good from the start, I like the bass alot, good sound effects, I like the lead in this one as it's a bit lower and less screechy, vocal good, drums(sound effects?) at 2:50-odd good.

Tagan - good bline again, like the toms, like the low background arpeggio line, lead line too acidy again for me (maybe the onbeat arrangement tho - I like offbeat myself), vocal good - like yer vocals.

Clydesdale - this one's me fave I think from first listens, like the low hollow synth stabs and the vocals, bline good again, lead line a little acidy again, but saved by good straight forward arrangement.

Zombie - good bline and arpeggio at start, not keen on the sfx, don't like the vocal, like the lead at 2:50-odd, goes a bit screechy later on tho for me (I prefer less in ur face sound tho).

What I really like about all tracks is the Simmons, Waldorf's Attack has got a Simmons setting, which I was kinda playin around with at one time, but didn't fit in with the overall sound I was after. Lovely kick drums and toms, and very different to yer 909 stuff.

Drop the velocity in yer sequencer on kick drum fills, so they don't burst through the track quite as much, sounds a bit more pro I found when playin with the XL7.

Overall good, just wish u had a full lenghter of this set for d/l, I'll definitely be pickin u're brains if u don't mind when I finally get enough tracks I'm happy with to make a set of me own.

Full respect for gettin such a good sound outa a load o hardware, I know it's not impossible but it's a whole different ball game to a computer! :lol:

And remember, my comments are from someone who usually runs screamin at the thought of acid techno, so I don't listen to it at all and therefore know very little about what's in/out, good/bad about the sound, but the stuff u've posted definitely kept my interest.

mux
22-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Right Mux, got them all dl'd, there's alot to digest so I've got no.1 playin right now and I'll write as I listen!

Like Robots - Like the vocal, bassline's interestin (what's that comin from?), like the lead line (I've gotta try an SH for size!), compression on the track is a bit obvious maybe (but easily fixed), I love the bassdrum, arrangement's good.

Bruja - Like the low synth sound, like the main lead/arpeggio, altho the intermittent lead is a little too acid for my likin, and the one that's just come in I like a lot, more of a sound effect maybe but good, drums are all where they should be.

Halflife - like the staccato synth at the start, arpeggio/lead thing again good, vocal really good, drums again all good, I think that's what u've really got goin for ya - I love the simmons, not too keen on the acid stabs, a little "normal" for my tastes.

Daytrip - like the stabby lead, and the acid stabs, bassline maybe a bit prominent, pad good, acid line at 2:50-odd a bit too acidy for my tastes, good atmosphere in this tho, I think another acid line came in a 4:20, which I do like, or maybe it's the other one filtered (gettin confused here!), good vocal again.

Eyesweat - good from the start, I like the bass alot, good sound effects, I like the lead in this one as it's a bit lower and less screechy, vocal good, drums(sound effects?) at 2:50-odd good.

Tagan - good bline again, like the toms, like the low background arpeggio line, lead line too acidy again for me (maybe the onbeat arrangement tho - I like offbeat myself), vocal good - like yer vocals.

Clydesdale - this one's me fave I think from first listens, like the low hollow synth stabs and the vocals, bline good again, lead line a little acidy again, but saved by good straight forward arrangement.

Zombie - good bline and arpeggio at start, not keen on the sfx, don't like the vocal, like the lead at 2:50-odd, goes a bit screechy later on tho for me (I prefer less in ur face sound tho).

What I really like about all tracks is the Simmons, Waldorf's Attack has got a Simmons setting, which I was kinda playin around with at one time, but didn't fit in with the overall sound I was after. Lovely kick drums and toms, and very different to yer 909 stuff.

Drop the velocity in yer sequencer on kick drum fills, so they don't burst through the track quite as much, sounds a bit more pro I found when playin with the XL7.

Overall good, just wish u had a full lenghter of this set for d/l, I'll definitely be pickin u're brains if u don't mind when I finally get enough tracks I'm happy with to make a set of me own.

Full respect for gettin such a good sound outa a load o hardware, I know it's not impossible but it's a whole different ball game to a computer! :lol:

And remember, my comments are from someone who usually runs screamin at the thought of acid techno, so I don't listen to it at all and therefore know very little about what's in/out, good/bad about the sound, but the stuff u've posted definitely kept my interest.

Hmmmm... something in this post really fscks up the forum... does quoting the last post fix it? :)

278d7e64a374de26f==