PDA

View Full Version : starting to realize how much i really need to know...

hiroprotagonist
22-04-2004, 02:55 PM
i was wondering if anyone would be willing to have a small Pm conversation. mostly on software and sequencing. i dont want to be asking a LOAD of questions in the forum but i have some pretty newbie things i need answered and also the pros and cons of a couple programs and hardware to get my studio back up and running again.

pm me if youre interested :lol: thanks

-hiro

Kevin Gorman
22-04-2004, 06:47 PM
it actually might be better to post your questions publicly! Don't feel like a newb, that word doesn't exist here, no question is stupid no matter how dum you think it is. This forum is full of amazing minds and it's probley better to get different opinions, that way it will get your brain movin towards your own ideas!!

audioinjection
22-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah, everyone here is a huge help, and are very nice!

DJZeMig_L
22-04-2004, 11:33 PM
speak 4 yer self! ;) :eh: :roll: ;) ehehhe jus kidin'

Z

hiroprotagonist
23-04-2004, 01:44 PM
ok then,
ive been trying to find a cheap way to get started writing music again. im going to need to get either cubase or logic and im not sure which one. i need something thats got a good sequencer and can work with both audio and midi files at the same time. im really not into midi all that much but i do know my way around. ive heard logic is easier to get the hang of but im not really worried if i have to do some late night sessions to figure some program out. which one is easier to use?
once i have that how do i use a soft synth? im assuming i assign it as a midi instrument and get myself a controller keyboard. but what about this...if i step program my synth line or a rhythm pattern in can i assign fx to my knobs on the controller keyboard and edit the samples i have in either of these programs? or what about this...once i use the controller to make my pattern in midi how do i get about recording it to audio?
and finally, after finally realizing that with my budget the best way to go is soft synths, why in gods name cant i stop thinking about an mpc?!?!?!

-hiro

detfella
23-04-2004, 02:23 PM
cubase or logic both great sequencers that work with audio & midi (altho cubase aimed primarily at pc and logic is mac only).

VSTi or soft synths are loaded into cubase and yea you can play them via a controller keyboard....but you dont have to. You could manually program simple MIDI part that the soft synth will play. Take a look at the MIDI effects topic for twisting up MIDI parts on cubase. Once you got the part as a MIDI you can mixdown to an audio file.

Once you decide on your sequencer you'll discover your preffered way of making music. Good luck with it ;)

hiroprotagonist
23-04-2004, 02:30 PM
im used to step programming all of my patterns in anyways i was just thinking of a controller for my more melodic/symphonic projects. and besides the ozone has a built in sound card that i need ;)
so once i get my soft synth patterns arranged in midi can i upload a sample ive tweaked in sound forge and play them side by side before i decide i like the midi part? (im using a pc so ill most likely be using cubase)

-hiro

DJZeMig_L
23-04-2004, 06:52 PM
yes u can... actually loads os samples and loads of vstIs!

Z

professor
29-04-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm a Logic user, so I'm gonna say Logic is the one (I have never used cubase).
Logic 6 Pro is bundled with just about every soft synth (the ES2 is like butter...drop dead bass, rocking analog-esk leads, and a really cool randomize feature that allows you to vary the amount and type of randomization to the synth...i'm in love)/vocoder/reverb/sampler/effect plug-in Emagic has made. It is a damn good deal for the money (a little less than 1,000 US)
Sounds like a lot, but it is a monster sequencer. Also, I have some bits of hardware, and I use rewire with no problems.
Saying that, If you have no idea about midi/modulation/audio recording (sampling)/etc., then Logic is gonna frustrate you to no end...for a while. But like any sequencer, once you figure out how you like to work, everything will fall into place.
All of this said, Logic 6 Pro is MAC only...

hiroprotagonist
29-04-2004, 02:40 PM
i know my way around basic midi and recording and synthesis. i have a copy of logic 6 on my comp but ive never understood it since i dont have ANYTHING hooked up to midi yet (i recorded audio for 3 years...). i cant even figure out how i can load my current soft synths as instruments to start tooling around with it. any help would be greatly appreciated since i dont have a manual either heheh.

duncandisorderly
29-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm a Logic user, so I'm gonna say Logic is the one (I have never used cubase).
Logic 6 Pro is bundled with just about every soft synth (the ES2 is like butter...drop dead bass, rocking analog-esk leads, and a really cool randomize feature that allows you to vary the amount and type of randomization to the synth...i'm in love)/vocoder/reverb/sampler/effect plug-in Emagic has made. It is a damn good deal for the money (a little less than 1,000 US)
Sounds like a lot, but it is a monster sequencer. Also, I have some bits of hardware, and I use rewire with no problems.
Saying that, If you have no idea about midi/modulation/audio recording (sampling)/etc., then Logic is gonna frustrate you to no end...for a while. But like any sequencer, once you figure out how you like to work, everything will fall into place.
All of this said, Logic 6 Pro is MAC only...

i use logic 5.2 on the pc and it runs fine. however i do run cubase aswell. depends on what i am doing. logic has somew great effects built in that you cant emulate very easily with cubase.

acid is a blast too. for initial sequencing and stuff.

professor
29-04-2004, 04:23 PM
I only know about Logic under OSX
Logic in OSX only plays plugs that are Audio Units (apple's pain in the ass plug-in format). So VSTs are out, unless you have a program that "wraps" the VSTs or one that converts VSTs to AU
If you have AU plugs then all you do to load one is to go to the track mixer window, go to an "audio instrument" channel strip, and right above where the channel strip reads output 1-2, click and hold the mouse, a pop-up should appear allowing you to choose what plug you want to use. you should be able to use your midi keyboard to play that instrument (so long as you have loaded the keyboard into Logic's midi controller preferences.)
BTW do you have a copy of Logic6 on a PC? I thought version 6 was only made for MAC...
And lastly, even with all my soft synths (Logic's bundles stuff, Reaktor4.something, Reason2.5, etc) I would love an MPC...

278d7e64a374de26f==