PDA

View Full Version : wot's a reversed gate?

Chazbloke
22-04-2004, 04:33 PM
wot's a reversed gate?
wots a normal gate?
and wot's the deal with side-chaining (seeing as i'm in ask stupid question mode...)

cheers!
Chaz.

MARKEG
22-04-2004, 04:50 PM
A gate is what you find at the front of your garden..

It's quite easy to demonstrate.. go out of your front door and you'll see it. It's got hinges on it and swings open and shut ;)

Hehehehe.

By hey a musical 'gate' is similar. It opens and closes the volume. As an example. Gate strings by playing the string sound as a whole and then use volume controller messages to make the volume suddenly go on and off. The result is a stutted effect. All the early hard trance used to do this - check some Nostrum stuff.

:clap:

Jay M
22-04-2004, 04:55 PM
an easy way to describe it is that it sound like putting the volume up and down really quickly on a mixer (in time of course)

Hakka
22-04-2004, 06:30 PM
so how would a reverse gate sound over a normal gate?

:?:

:eh:

DJ Corbzy
22-04-2004, 06:33 PM
so how would a reverse gate sound over a normal gate?

:?:

:eh:

well ****ed up! :lol:

a gate determines how much of a sound you let out at certain points, tracks like himmelsfeger have a gate on the kick to create that really distorted noise, i dont know much about gating etc but thats all i can explain really...

hiroprotagonist
23-04-2004, 02:05 PM
yeah i think corbzy has it right. a gate is basically a gate that lets certain noise out. or a certain amount of noise. from what i can remember/understand its basically something that cuts off the output of sound once the audio falls below a set parameter. i BELIEVE (but im probably wrong) that it an work the other way too, where it shuts off audio once the signal gets loud enough to a set parameter. it basically only lets a certain amount of noise out (which you determine).
as for a reversed gate i have no idea. ive been trying to figure this out for the past couple days.

someone PLEASE correct me if im wrong!!!

-hiro

Dave Elyzium
23-04-2004, 11:53 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:9qhFkWjFZisJ:www.balleycanoeco.com/gate.jpg

;) the other application is a noise gate in which you set a threshold in decibles, so that the gate cuts ot any sound that passes through it that is quieter than those decibles....for example, you sample a sound from cassette, the cassette hiss is at say 1db, you set the gate so that it cuts ot the hiss.....
not a good example but im pissed soi'll try and post a better response tomorow ;)

Jutt
29-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Reverse gates are used in Hardstyle and Techno.
;)

Chris Hare
30-04-2004, 05:52 PM
this may be too obvious and not right but, maybe a reversed gate is when someone uses a gate and reverses the finished sound ... in effect creating a reversed gate.... i use volume gates all the time and have been known to gate snth patterns for that old school trance effect ... cant say i`ve ever used a reverse gate though..although i have heard it mentioned quite a bit as a term.... :?:

Dave Elyzium
30-04-2004, 06:57 PM
OK as far as I know a reverse gate is a gated reverb on a kick drum set with the predelay to 1/8 so you get that Kick-verb-kick-verb effect then you can sample the reverb and reverse it, then play it back on the offbeat..**** around with the positioning to get the sound you want ;)

mitzi
30-06-2004, 08:53 PM
gates are origionally used after youve recorded a drum kit, you may have recorded a snare but its still catching some of the high hats in the recording, after tweaking you will be able to just hear the snare and the gate will have closed on the unwanted high hats.
you can also gate trance synths to get the rushy stutter you get in classic trance tunes!!
gates are used to control loads of different effect units and things aswell so reversing a gate can mean a few things, you could be reversing the gate pattern so instead of it going "do do doo" it would go "doo do do"!
you could also be reversing the gate open and close times!

Evil G
30-06-2004, 10:12 PM
maybe i'm off, but i always thought that a reversed gate was like a ducker, where you have a noise gate that only opens when the level of the control signal falls below a certain level, and closes when it rises above it. you could use something like that for an automatic "talk over" feature, for example, where the music is muted everytime you use the mic, and returns to normal when you stop, or to make a reverb or echo effect come in during the break, but stay quiet during the busy parts.

Basil Rush
05-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Reversed gate sounds like a bit of a mashed up bit of terminology ... not sure you'll ever get a straight answer ... where did you hear of such a thing?

Chazbloke
14-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Reversed gate sounds like a bit of a mashed up bit of terminology ... not sure you'll ever get a straight answer ... where did you hear of such a thing?

off here! haha, which is why i asked..... ;)

i've been playing around with said effect on my mixing desk - dunno if what i'm doing is right, cant really describe what it sounds like either, but i like the effect i get when using it on a kick drum...
will post examples when i get home....

278d7e64a374de26f==