PDA

View Full Version : right, wots next?

eyes without a face
23-02-2003, 09:21 PM
ordering my monitors and amp this week, so probably have em next week. just wondering if u lot had any tips on my next step? i intend to move on from just working in fruity and gettin to grips with one of the high end sequencers, Logic or Cubase SX.

also need to extend my sample library extensively so if any of u lot could help me out with some jacking/hard chicago and general techno samples on CD's id b grateful and happy to pay.

cheers

DJZeMig_L
23-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Serious chicago stuff.... get down 2 sampling from rec.s, old Dance Mania, also look into Battle Scratch records stuff like DJ Rectangle.

I think this is the bases 4 all the work the rest is some wicked drum programming, bleepy&tweeky synths.. lot' a shuffle/ comp/ funkness! :P

B very carefull with yer monitor placing .. try a few mixes hear them in diferent systems 'till u find the right balance!

Z

eyes without a face
23-02-2003, 11:39 PM
thanks mate

im getting Absolute two's and samson servo 170 amp next week, cant wait to get em!

with regards to sampling from records, how would i connect my decks to my pc for this purpose? and wot prog could use to sample the record into my pc?

cheers

Jimfish
24-02-2003, 12:56 AM
record out of dj mixer to whatever you have for a line in on your soundcard....if you have just a basic soundcard it will be just a stereo mini jack
so you need a phono- minijack cable innit!

sonic foundry soundforge for pc - very user friendly and great functionality...

yeah...as Z says.... be careful with that monitor placement - keep well away from room corners!! - i cannot stress how important this is...you will hear perhaps double the bass that there actually is if you put speakers in the corner..

i made this mistake for a while myself...wheni was listening to tracks on other systems i was thinkin 'wheres all my bass gone'

really be caarefull, there is no point buyin nice monitors if they are not placed correctly....i am a firm believer in this!!

DJZeMig_L
24-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Bro... Not 2 burst yer bubble but I really prefer the 0's over the 2's... they just seem super-bright... It just sonded a bit harsh and exagerated... jus my 2 cents!

Z

Jimfish
24-02-2003, 05:35 PM
i noticed that on a mates pair a while back, they seemed almost crunchy on the top end....hmm

i know its a bit cuntish to mention it when you have just ordered them but i would go for some Alesis monitor 2's , i thinkn they are simaler price...

Jimfish
24-02-2003, 05:37 PM
i remember auditioning loads of speakers in turnkey a couple of years ago and i chose the tannoy reveals over the zeros and the two's, but i remember thinkin the twos were a bit harsh even then...

and they all sounded shite compared to the mackies....

DJZeMig_L
25-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Mackie rule big time... but below that my fav.s R the Absolute 0 and the Monitor 1 MKII!!!

Monitor 2 ... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! these r midfields... These R very hard on the mid/ High range... These r 2 play yer mix LOUD!!!! what u nead is less power and more definition!!

IMHO if I was going 2 change my order I would go either for the M1 or the Absolute 0's!!

Z

Jimfish
25-02-2003, 02:04 AM
yeah...listen to Z, he's got a gear shop i think....
is that right Z????

DJZeMig_L
25-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Yep...
But I haven't heard the Tannoy reveal or the HHB... That's may dayJob (which kills my time and sometimes mood 4 anything else)... I'm mainly a DJ and Producer, but I never wanted 2 depend on djing 2 live, this way I can do only what I like... That's why almost the only techno dj in Portugal!

Z

lunatrick
25-02-2003, 12:27 PM
It's wierd coz I audtioned the alesis, tannoy reveals, absolute 0 and 2's in the shop with a carl cox mix cd and the 2's sounded the best by miles...with the tannoys sounded absolute sh*te which I was disappointed with as I am a fan of their home hifi gear.....just personal opinion I guess....however the dynaudio's for a ton or so more sounded brilliant - you get what you pay for with monitors.....

p.s. - jimfish - I haven't forgotten about your CD - it was the cd that was screwed...so I got a mate to copy it for me again - he's popping it around thursday - will get it off to you as soon as........ :lol:

Jimfish
25-02-2003, 01:12 PM
no probs, i understand....asap though would be nice tho, as im moving next thurs and the postal service round here always is shockingly late....
cheers guv!

lunatrick
25-02-2003, 03:45 PM
no worries mate - will post on friday

eyes without a face
25-02-2003, 06:03 PM
thanks for the tips guys, i cant change the order tho its a package the amp and monitors, and i think they will do me ok considering they are my first amp and monitors. getting them rather cheap too

DJZeMig_L
25-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Studio monitors don't necessarily sound sweet!! In fact most of times they generally don't!!! What I need is as close as possible 2 flat response...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==