PDA

View Full Version : PRODUCTION TIPS FOR BEGINNERS...

MARKEG
17-10-2002, 04:06 AM
Ze MigL mentioned some great stuff:

1- U should work with what u feel confortable with.. as long as it does what ya need!! This could mean fruity, cubase, logic, acid, whatever... I've made a few nice (at least my friends like it lol :P) noises with any of 'em ... But I also love harware...

All in all, approach software as a new thing and not like something that's supposed 2 sound like a certain equip...

it's really up 2 yer taste & imagination .. compression is very cool but it's a very long and steep learning curve... I've been more addicted 2 it in the past.

A good use of eq (restricting each sound 2 it's fundamental sound - I know this is a very sensitive subject!), smart use of little panning, maybe some subtle reverb (depending on style).. but most of all carefull with levels (mixing levels).. don't use just yer ears.. use also your eyes on the meters... U can have a powerfull kick at x db then don't use double that!!

I love the new Cubase, love soft synth & hardware .. use both... but I must say a software sampler works a lot better 4 me!

4 pre-mastering / edits.. my prefered tool is by far Wavelab!!!

Z

Has anyone got anymore tips?
Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/16/02 10:08:42 pm

aggressor
17-10-2002, 04:17 AM
do you really prefer wavelab to soundforge?

DJZeMig_L
17-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Totally.. it seems very simple but it is bloody amazing... u can even do multitracking (although I don't use it 4 that)... I used 2 b a Sound forge fanatic...

Wavelab can run 8 plug ins in series, realtime tweek, also has batch processing (which sf lost by version 5).. u can do your all mastering save yer presets... and b4 going 2 bed 4 those proverbial 5-6 hs get wavelab 2 do all rendering thru the night... !!

Biggest flaw in w is not having many shortcut buttons!

Z

aggressor
18-10-2002, 12:12 AM
very interesting,

will give wavelab a go ..

have only used wavelab lite in the past and have used mainly sf 5 since..

maybe time to give wavelab another go.

thanks for the tip..

DJZeMig_L
18-10-2002, 12:22 AM
wavelab light is er,.... 2 light .. lol :P

gimme a shout If ya have any doubts

DJAmok
18-10-2002, 01:47 AM
Well basically everything has been said about using compression & eq.

So I´ll try and approach some other basics:

If you´re new to it, take your time. Look at everything carefully and if you don´t know what a knob does: change it and find out! Jot it down if you can´t memorize it, it will come naturally later on.

Also a comfortable environment is helpful. Now I live in a dark, cold ugly basement with hardly any furniture, no decoration and lots of spiders. I don´t even have a bed, so I sleep on a matress now for 3 years, and my back is killing me. Oh and my chair is uncomfortable, too. I´m a poor sucker, and I don´t really enjoy being down here, but I at least try to keep my production area away of everthing. It´s facing a wall so I don´t see the @#%$ surrounding me. Probably thats why my music is kinda aggressive.

What helps though is anything that´ll keep you comfortable: coloured lights, a strobo, a lava-lamp or in my case a silly cat who likes your music. Anything you can look at and get new ideas from. And believe me if it weren´t for my cat, I'd be making gabber...

Speaking of.... don´t be shy to go overboard, but do keep in mind 2 factors:

1. a DJ´s gotta be able to mix your track. No decent Mix-In and you can forget the whole thing. Keep the 64-Beat distances in mind. Oh and no 200 bpm ;-) 140-155bpm for techno is fine

2. don´t confuse people. I don´t exactly know how this is meant but I figure it´s that people who´ll dance to your track do not like unpleasant surprises. I´ve hear quite a few good tracks get ruined, just because the artist wanted to do something "intelligent". Usually this won´t work. Don´t worry, you can go crazy on the breaks, but stick to a basic pattern. Don´t change the main theme, people usually don´t react well to that.

well I guess that´s it for the moment, hope I could help anyone

DJZeMig_L
19-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Just remember a stupid one!!!

When ever u r editing samples/ audio.. (if u use fruity) make sure u use the 2nd screen (2 monitor setup brings a all new world 2 yer prodution mates) for all the analysis tools... with time u get a feeling 4 phatter weak sounds, out of phase, narrow stereo feels, freq. placement etc... It seems a bit techy, but the more u play with it the more u learn without even realising... soon u'll be having 1 of those gibberish techy talks, with a big grin on yer face, with some of yer more "technically educated" mates while thinking ".. wait a minute.. I know what the Fu** is going on about!! "...

lol

PS- 2 monitor setup has a major impact on yer music and the speed u make it (ence more time 2 b creative.. less annoying mouse clicks... And it makes u feel like sayin "Scotty Beam me UP"... everytime u enter tha room!! ehehe :P

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==