PDA

View Full Version : swedens eurovision song contest entry...

Col
05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
whos it going to be? hertz, hardcell, or bacto.

the synths used in these guys tracks of late have been nothing short of horrific. everytime i pick up a release of these guys tracks recently, i find the cheesiest synth sound/pattern on this planet. what the fu*ks going on?

ironically these guys are up there with my fav producers, or at least i thought they were. the grooves are still there, but get rid of the cheese guys. please.

Buttman
05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
They all live in Jonkoping so I guess they teamed up for the golden road.

The Overfiend
05-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Depending on the tone or the frequency I don't mind a synth or a stab to be honest. Most of the old Detroit stuff was built on some of those same concepts. But there is cheese seeping in agreed. But I won't concur this a hundred percent to the stuff coming out of Sweden recently. I stil enjoy hearing new stuff from old heroes of mine.

schlongfingers
05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
What's the "golden road" - sweden connection? Never heard that phrase before

Joseph Isaac
05-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Yes, I concur about the cheese...The last Hertz EP I heard, "Look Back to See the Future," was definitely not my style. The first record I picked up by him was on Mankind and all four tracks were play-worthy. Since then, his style has seemed to tone down, but the quality of the production is still good.

Mattias Fridell (emb)
05-05-2004, 07:19 PM
I totally agree, their music sounds "cheap" and bad.
I hope that Bacto don´t see this, because i know him ;)

Oh, and Hardcell & Herz doesn´t live in Jönköping, only Bacto does.

Methodixxx
06-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Mattias! When is Embowel 2 gonna see the light of day...??? I'm still playing the first one after around a year ;) MMmmmmnnn...

Numeric
06-05-2004, 10:40 AM
There are a couple of gems on Mankind 19 and 20...

Picked up the latest Hardcell on Skunkworks, not too bad...

slacker
11-05-2004, 02:03 PM
What's the "golden road" - sweden connection?

referring to the "piss" poor quality techno at the moment?

only jokin!

I do love the hardcell tune on DC27, it's proper pounding.

Sunil
11-05-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't think they are that bad, I liked Hardcell's last one on Skunkworks and the Bacto & Pratap one for Mankind 19. Hertz's stuff is serving its purpose and people are lapping it up, fair play I say. Henrik B is one producer who has really gone to the dogs last time I heard anything by him though..

stefano1981
12-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Was waiting for the backlash. People are so predictable.

ampassasinbirmingham
12-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Was waiting for the backlash. People are so predictable.

maybe its the artists that are predictable????

The Overfiend
12-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Depending on the tone or the frequency I don't mind a synth or a stab to be honest. Most of the old Detroit stuff was built on some of those same concepts. But there is cheese seeping in agreed. But I won't concur this a hundred percent to the stuff coming out of Sweden recently. I stil enjoy hearing new stuff from old heroes of mine.

And not for nothing Hertz is good at what he does. I wish people would realize if you want a certain sound in techno to be relevant you really should try to go out and do it yourself. Producers are artists and it is one thing to do a good record that everyone likes. To appeal to everyone you lose a lot in your own sound and what you put forth as well your art. I would go to lengths and say maybe these artists are on their own musical mission and you(general public) don't understand them.
Yes Adam Beyer and Henrik are great producers and have earned their stripes, but for me personally as a producer I dont blame them for throwing in more melodies or synths that may sound cheesy. Because once you produce your open to music, you realize music entails much more than drum snare kick and sample loop. Remember Henrik was quoted to like tangerine dream and miles davis, so I would assume hes getting more an more into composition. So the more musicality coming out of Sweden I commend it and beg other countries including myself to follow suit. Maybe techno would get respect in the music world if we made more songs instaed of headbanging 5 minute beats. Hip Hop did it and it rules the world. regardless of the commercial quality of it I can boldly say right now that it you took kanye west into the studio and showed him 5 songs and said this is techno do it. He would probably compose a better song than most of us. People assume techno is for the brainless and I can see why some think that because our music sounds repeatative, I disagree because i have met some sick uber intellects thru this music. Maybe we should put more energy into making the music instead of slagging each others. AND WHATEVER HEAT OR NEGATIVE RESPONSES I GET FOR THIS I DONT CARE BECAUSE IM LIVING MY WORDS AND I BELIEVE IN WHAT I SAY SO IF YOU SLAG YOUR FIGHTING YOURSELF CAUSE THIS IS MY OPINION.

Numeric
12-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Hip hop, if you can call it that, may rule the mainstream industry right now, but quality and imagination have been forsaken in favour of financial gain...

stefano1981
12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Hard techno does not equal all techno. There's loads of really great techno out there that has melody and movement and doesn't just consist of '5 minutes of head banging beats'.

tioneb
12-05-2004, 07:20 PM
They all live in Jonkoping so I guess they teamed up for the golden road.

hmm stop swearing .. dont be jealous of johan not have enough hair to look like a swedish timberman !! ;)

actually im pretty disppointed with these producers, specially hardcell, who is improving his sound a lot after a long and boring period of drummy loops.

arent you guys bored with these kleenex eps which all sound the same and that you throw to trash once the brand new one has been issued ???

im feeling really happy some of these ephemere techno producers now try to do more timeless tracks... they really desserve respect more than the insane dissing you are doing.

tioneb
12-05-2004, 07:23 PM
actually im pretty satisfied with these producers, etc.etc

edit button ?

The Overfiend
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
im feeling really happy some of these ephemere techno producers now try to do more timeless tracks... they really desserve respect more than the insane dissing you are doing. :clap:

Adverse
13-05-2004, 01:03 AM
god has spoken... :roll:

davethedrummer
13-05-2004, 12:20 PM
well i like and have always liked the swedish sound

bacto hardcell and hertz are all cool (not the cream of the crop though)

krome is a god ( code red 01 i rest my case)

and beyer . henrik b and lekebush have all been consistenly good.

i think their direction is always shifting and at the moment some analogue sounds are working their way back in in a kind of retroey way which personally i like.

i don't get you guys sometimes :?:
the last few releases from all of them have been pretty good haven't they?
the drumcode was good
the mankind's have been good.
hertz on primate was good
and the beyer and henrik b on illgorythm was pretty good too. i.m.o.

i just don't know really. what exactly would you like to be hearing more of?
it's one thing to moan about the quality etc

but what do you want instead eh?? that's the real question isn't it?

Paul Zykotik
13-05-2004, 12:59 PM
i don't get you guys sometimes :?:

It's what I've never understood about this forum - or the whole techno scene really. People moan when we just get 5 minute loops, then when something different is done it gets slated. Producers have to experiment and find something they're happy with doing. Criticism's inevitable but rather than being constructive more often that not it's just "shite, not a patch on how they used to be".

I personally would love to see more melodic stuff coming through, while keeping a hard edge. It's certainly possible - and it's possible to open it up to a wider audience as well without sacrificing its integrity. A prime example of this would be the popularity of purist techno at hardcore nights like Dreamscape and Helter Skelter back in 1995.

stefano1981
13-05-2004, 02:39 PM
There's more to techno than the loopy stuff.

Paul Zykotik
13-05-2004, 04:18 PM
There's more to techno than the loopy stuff.

I'm aware mate, I'm talking in terms of hard techno :)

stefano1981
13-05-2004, 04:23 PM
It's what I've never understood about this forum - or the wholetechno scene really. People moan when we just get 5 minute loops, then when something different is done it gets slated.

Sorry, twas a bit ambiguous though.

Col
13-05-2004, 04:30 PM
i dont mind melodic techno, nor do i dislike synths being used within techno. but the synth sounds being used currently by these guys are cheesy, its as simple as that. if your going to use synths at least program a sound that we havent heard a million times before.

id like to see these guys branch out, really put their necks on the line. they are capable of coming up with the goods dont get me wrong, i hold a lot of respect for these guys, and i love the swedish sound. im just left bewilderd by the lazy synth programming recently.

Mattias Fridell (emb)
14-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Johan/ Hertz / Adam and the gang are good producers, and they make good music but for the moment i dont like the lastest releases.
Their best records were released for a few years.
Just check out Johan´s "Airobics" that record kicks ass.

davethedrummer
14-05-2004, 10:50 AM
i dont mind melodic techno, nor do i dislike synths being used within techno. but the synth sounds being used currently by these guys are cheesy, its as simple as that. if your going to use synths at least program a sound that we havent heard a million times before.

id like to see these guys branch out, really put their necks on the line. they are capable of coming up with the goods dont get me wrong, i hold a lot of respect for these guys, and i love the swedish sound. im just left bewilderd by the lazy synth programming recently.

sorry mate but what the f.uc.k. are you on about??????
cheesy??????? hardcell?????hertz??????bacto?????
are you insane????
that music is NOT cheesy!
unless of course you are comparing it to ridiculously dark hardcore or something like that.
sorry but lighten up a bit mate you know.
like tiesto,paul van dyke,bt,u.k. hardhouse,dodgy urban garage etc etc etc
now THAT'S cheesy.......let's get some perspective on this please.
now what exactly is it that you don't like about these synth sounds. i really want to understand what you mean whae you say lazy programming :hmm:

Adverse
17-05-2004, 11:08 PM
krome is a god ( code red 01 i rest my case)

man this double pack is legendary. krome is totally in the know.

Col
18-05-2004, 01:55 PM

sorry mate but what the f.uc.k. are you on about??????
cheesy??????? hardcell?????hertz??????bacto?????
are you insane????
that music is NOT cheesy!

unless of course you are comparing it to ridiculously dark hardcore or something like that.
sorry but lighten up a bit mate you know.
like tiesto,paul van dyke,bt,u.k. hardhouse,dodgy urban garage etc etc etc
now THAT'S cheesy.......let's get some perspective on this please.
now what exactly is it that you don't like about these synth sounds. i really want to understand what you mean whae you say lazy programming :hmm:

the answers to your questions lie in the post you quoted me on henry. ive heard the synths used in recent tracks a million times before, that doesnt really provide me with any sense of stimulation. and like i said before im actually a big fan of the swedish sound, im just dissapointed with recent releases and the path which the sound seems to be taking. in saying that, i listened to skunkworks 19 & mankind 19 recently and i was impressed.

Col
18-05-2004, 02:03 PM
when i talk about lazy programming im talking about settling for tried & tested sounds that shift units. id like to see a little more adventure & artistic vision when it comes to synth programming.

the problem is that these guys are more than capable of delivering the goods. thats what really frustrates me.

Komplex
19-05-2004, 12:54 AM
I guess they are now trying to shift units?

Gotta make a living somehow.

278d7e64a374de26f==