PDA

View Full Version : waves compressor and compressors in general

tracatak
05-05-2004, 05:57 PM
ok i keep hearing how COMPRESSORS are the HOLY GRAIL of techno..lol...but i dont seem to understnad what they are doing when i place one on a kick ...what is it supposed to do to the sound ...im basically looking to make the hard techno im trying to write...THROB or breath or vibrate or chugg along...that wishy washy sound..i heard compressors do it..but so far the closest i got was to do the whole peak controller and balanec thign i read on here.. (im using fruity studio 4..BTW) ..any help would be great

maybe an example ro practice exercise to show me how to get somethig useable outta my new waves compressors...tyyyyyy
jay

Basil Rush
05-05-2004, 08:51 PM
for that obvious compression sound try sticking a compressor on the master channel and turning the kick up, reduce the release till it sounds good, try a ratio somewhere between 1:1 and 4:1 ... there are more complicated ways of making that breathing effect involving busses ... i'm sure there are loads of posts on here somewhere describing how to make it work with side chains and the like...

if you stick one on the kick channel it'll just change the amplitude envelope on the kick which may be a good thing but it isn't the pumping compressor sound i think you are talking about...

professor
07-05-2004, 01:49 PM
I may be wrong, but don't you get the "pumping" compressor sound by a long release?

DJZeMig_L
07-05-2004, 04:24 PM
nope the exact oposite pumping/ breathing... quick (or mid-quick) attack and fastish release!

Z

tracatak
08-05-2004, 08:11 PM
so i was listening to some tracks.. and trying to figure out the patterns of the drums and percusion etc...is this pattern creted by compression or more by delay..sounsd like 2 difernt delays going..i dont know..hate to by a pain about this..hehe :evil: ..i wil get this god damn it... :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==