PDA

View Full Version : PA Question

gumpy green
06-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Prob in the wrong form so i apoligies but i wasnet sure wher to post it as thers no soundsystem/PA forum......anyways my question is----

Say you had a 1k amp(2x500 watt)...

Could you run 2 x 250 watt on EACH channel.

having 2 speakers in parallel/series on each channel.

Any help appreciated.

ampassasinbirmingham
06-05-2004, 01:29 PM
yes you could. as long as the total is equal or less than 500 on each channel.

Daisy chain the speakers together. This is done by using 1/4" jack to jack cables. There should be two jack sockets in the back of the speakers. One is for input, the other for output to the next speaker!

gumpy green
06-05-2004, 03:07 PM
yes you could. as long as the total is equal or less than 500 on each channel.

Daisy chain the speakers together. This is done by using 1/4" jack to jack cables. There should be two jack sockets in the back of the speakers. One is for input, the other for output to the next speaker!

cheers...

does it matter about the resistance/impedance of them????

ampassasinbirmingham
06-05-2004, 06:51 PM
yeah. check the manual.

The Overfiend
06-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Sending this to the production forum chief.

gumpy green
06-05-2004, 07:22 PM
yeah. check the manual.

not got one wi my amp, ill check to see what its got marked on it, if nuthin ill be hunting the web.....

cheers ampassasinbirmingham.

and sorry for the wrong forum...mind you whats it got to do with production????? ;) your just as bad as me SummerOfSam, get it stopped.. :lol:

ampassasinbirmingham
06-05-2004, 10:01 PM
you should find if they are decent pa speakers that you should be fine and the impedance will match.

dirty_bass
06-05-2004, 11:38 PM
hmm, personally I wouldn`t run a 1k amp this way. Sure 250x4 = 1k
but I am assuming your gonna be running in a club environment, and therefore your gonna be running your amps hard. I would prefer a little more headroom myself. Cos the resistance is gonna heat that muthaphuka up.

DJZeMig_L
07-05-2004, 03:03 AM
make sure the impedance is right between the speakers (each channel as they r cumulative) and the amp!

Like dirty bass said .. u'll b running very close 2 the redline! :(

Z

gumpy green
07-05-2004, 01:03 PM
yeh the amp will be running near full o/p.

its 2 =x 550 rms(stereo) feedin 4 x 600 rms speakers(2 per stereo channel)...

should be able to run it at full(well near full) and not blow the speakers..

Fair enuf the amp may get hot but im in scotland and well be outside so it will hav some decent coolin.

cheers for the help guys.

DJZeMig_L
07-05-2004, 04:26 PM
A driven amp can burn any speaker even if they are 123123123x more powerfull... the best combinations is a slightly more powerfull amp than yer monitors (of course u have 2 look out in order not 2 blow the speakers!

PS_ DON'T RUN YER MIXER ON RED!!

Z

ampassasinbirmingham
07-05-2004, 05:19 PM
hmm, personally I wouldn`t run a 1k amp this way. Sure 250x4 = 1k
but I am assuming your gonna be running in a club environment, and therefore your gonna be running your amps hard. I would prefer a little more headroom myself. Cos the resistance is gonna heat that muthaphuka up.

deffo. we run this for bedroom envoiroment so amp is pummled. as bass sez u need headroom. spec if its club envoiroment. if it packs in ure ****ed!!!

dirty_bass
07-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah, not only is it a risk to your speakers, but you will probably get signal break up, and lose sound quality.

I allways ran our rig at parties (a big fukka, 50k in total, 24`s on the sub :twisted: ) with the mindset of quality over quantity.

I`d rather hear really good sound at lower volume, than earbleed hats and distorted bass at high volume any day.

gumpy green
10-05-2004, 12:21 PM
A driven amp can burn any speaker even if they are 123123123x more powerfull... the best combinations is a slightly more powerfull amp than yer monitors (of course u have 2 look out in order not 2 blow the speakers!

PS_ DON'T RUN YER MIXER ON RED!!

Z

cheers,

ps - i never redline.....hate djs/acts who do, they aint learnt the first thing they should about djing/giggin...you try to tell them but they think they know best and ignore ya.

I`d rather hear really good sound at lower volume, than earbleed hats and distorted bass at high volume any day.

word. no point in trying to drive harder than you can handle....like how djs thin they will be getting louder if they push the mixer up more.....hahaha, they just sound crap.Speakers can only chuck out so much no matter how much you put in......

dirty_bass
10-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I sued to set a hard limit. As soon as the DJ`s hit the red, it just sounded extra extra crap.
And we used to tell em, "the louder you play the shitter it will sound". And still they cranked it???!!!
One guy (we wont name him) persistantly ran so far into the red, it just stayed RED. We warned him several times and eventually, he actually damaged the mixer. So we took the damages out of his fee :twisted:

DJZeMig_L
10-05-2004, 06:17 PM
:clap:

Unfortunatly most "big" DJs are like that!

Z

gumpy green
11-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I sued to set a hard limit. As soon as the DJ`s hit the red, it just sounded extra extra crap.
And we used to tell em, "the louder you play the shitter it will sound". And still they cranked it???!!!
One guy (we wont name him) persistantly ran so far into the red, it just stayed RED. We warned him several times and eventually, he actually damaged the mixer. So we took the damages out of his fee :twisted:

i run a club and it aint happened to us (yet, as all our guest have been clued up)but i think if i someone was beastin the mixer I would be telling em off, never mind the sound engineer...

I recon they would be asked to step down or behave themselves....and if everyone adopted this method then the redlinaz would HAVE to behave or would get kicked off EVERY gig.......

Its hardely the hardest concept to get your head round afterall>>>>> you set the trims on each channel to hit "0" on the input db meter.... and also set the master to giver you "0"db output.......fukin mongos if they cant undertsand that.... then if you want it louder you HAVE to either turn up the pa or if its right up then thats it(the only way is to buy more pa)...

as mentioned b4- "id rather hear good clean sound at a lower level, than distorted crappy sound a bit higher".

Hope some folk have learned from this rant...lol

once again im moaning>>>>grumpy green :rambo:

gumpy green
11-05-2004, 11:39 AM
:clap:

Unfortunatly most "big" DJs are like that!

Z

well thats because they have not studied their art properlly so to me prooves they aint that "big".....id tell em straight up," yav learnt to run b4 walking ther mate, go back and learn the basics please" ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==