PDA

View Full Version : right, alternative to using fruity?

eyes without a face
17-10-2002, 04:29 AM
marks mentioned that he woudnt advise using Fruity to produce the whole track, y is this? ive been doing it and it seems fine to me .... BUT... saying i was to follow marks words, wot could u people suggest for constructing tracks?

make the loops in fruity? sequence in ________ ?????

help me out here chaps

aggressor
17-10-2002, 04:34 AM
i make loops in acid then import into cubase (sometimes)

i like to do the whole thing in acid..........but what do i know!!!!!

MARKEG
17-10-2002, 07:30 AM
aggy, you know alot more than you realise!!! but like mr zigL says, it's whatever suits whoever... i make loops in acid, put them into cubase and then master in sundforge.... you do everything in soundforge and 'eyes' does it all in fruity...

i've always said fruity is not enough, but i think i must make a point... it's not the fact that it's fruity.... it's actually the fact it's all done in the computer!!!!

and when things are all done all on the comp I can tell. so much more so on fruity than i can on acid or cubase or logic. 'eyes' - get yourself some outboard gear. get a analogue desk to add warmth and a few outboard effects and you really will notice a difference, i'm sure...

eyes without a face
17-10-2002, 04:35 PM
well just got ACID 4 and im gonna ave a look at that.

i know wot u mean about outboard gear mark and my aim is to eventually construct my own studio, but money is lowwwww at the moment like

sinner
17-10-2002, 05:19 PM
hardware always ends up more than software, and $400 for acid is really a great deal, but furnishing a studio with hands on gear doesnt have to be horribly overpriced. I tend to buy alot of my stuff on Ebay now, and while its not always the best route, as long as you dont go after very specific things (or make sure you dont get an attack of wanting it so badly you overpay for it), and going slowly, you can find alot of things at a very reasonable price.

My latest example of cheap studio hardware is a purchase of an old Silicon Graphics Indigo machine. it cost me $85 , and is now setup to do my final dat mastering from AIFF files. Its an old machine, but it has all the capabilities I require to do something as simple as master from a computer audio format direct to dat. (Does it really really fast too).

I pride myself on what can be seen as Frankenstein gear, a mess of hardware interconnected that doesnt always look like it could work, and sometimes impromptu software to patch things together that may not be possible with someone strictly focusing on music, (i like to integrate both audio and video together in as strange as possible ways) , but its in range of just about everyone.

I have copies of most of the standard in use software, and I do use them sometimes, and theres even alot of gear I havent yet been able to afford, and might never afford, but getting what might not be the latest and great eat piece of gear (i still have a roland mt-32) it still gets the job done without relying on software routines

The more I think about the significant differences between software and hardware work, I am starting to realize that software can be the easier route, and is ALWAYS the less expensive route, but for style points alone, hardware will always win.

I am such a gadget jockey.

All prices in US dollars btw. I havent gotten the hang of on the fly conversion to pounds

Mike

You go in hard, and you go in fast.Edited by: sinner at: 10/17/02 11:21:42 am

DJZeMig_L
17-10-2002, 08:07 PM
I have a slight different view on this ...

I Have a equip (4 dj/ produc.) shop in Portugal with a buddie of mine (fuc*** hard being a pioneer on a country where no many people have a resonable paycheque).. so I see both sides of the coin... If u really can't afford hardware.. go down the software but at least doi it in style... a PC like Mark suggested is a must + RME soundcard (2 me the are only matched by Motu, Digidesign -top stuff- , and Creamware).... then slowly build on that...

Again I stress that u should use what ever u use and use it's particular character 2 your advantadge... a lot of people we admire from the past used very minimal "shi**" setups but still rocked ...

I can use my exem. (no that I'm some kind of reference or anything 2 go by) : my 1st 4 ep's were all produced with Roland XP50 ... the same as the JV1080 but with Keyboard... I must have spent a all x-mas just creating bleeps and noises (at the time I didn't know sh*** about synthesis.. but still loved 2 tweek ... I learned a lot from there!!)... me grannie was looking at me with headphones on pounding the keys, like ""wot tha fu**!!??"... Now this isn't really a techno machine but I was doing some mean hard/minimal techno with it... when it came out on Djax everyone was like "how did u get that sound out of yer TB303 and Tr909, SH101.." eheheh

So 4 a while forget about technical stuff and jus focus on havin a lot of fun... later it will all come 2gether!

I have a nice "studio at my shop" but never have the time 2 use it... At home (recently got a ) 909 and a Futureretro 777 + rme multiface+pcmcia.. external lacie HD firewire and a toshiba laptop!! I have donne countless trackz just on fruity... but then again I have lots of my own samples so the character lies there..

What Mark ment about fruity is just the more technical side of things... in fact 4 sketching a track fruity really rocks.. but for the mixing/ eq/ dynamics.. pre-mastering.. that's were the weaknesses of fruity start 2 show over something like SX! (but if u use stuff like waves plug ins and similar, u can almost get 'round this prob!).

PS- Hardware gear is just a thing 4 us older geezers.. someone who comes from a software background finds them very complicate and limited!! But there is just a certain "je ne sai quoit" about hardware that I love... dirty fat big knobs!! ehehehe

my 2 cents,

Z

sinner
17-10-2002, 08:46 PM
HAHAHA big fat dirty knobs

I never thought Id be called old at 28 though

The fun part about limited hardware is making it do things its not supposed to do

It is really alla bout how you put it together via whatever method you choose. I look at alot of my earlier stuff, and find my timing all messed up, and the flow just all sorts of wrong, and little breaks where there shouldnt be any.

Practice will make you competent at anything, and as long as you love what you are doing you will continue to work hard at it.

I sound like my father now.

I guess I am getting old.

Using fruity is still just though. You wont harm anything by learning it inside out and backwards, getting what you want out of it, and then afterwards trying to expand into something else. Heck its easier to just learn one thing perfectly before you go after eveyrthing at once. Thats why I still have alot of problems with fruity and almost eveyr other software package. Im trying to use and learn them all at the same time without concentrating on one specific thing

MIke

You go in hard, and you go in fast.

DJZeMig_L
17-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Let us know what yer probs are I guess we're all here 2 help each other and learn a lot in the process... I'm always keen 2 learning new stuff errrr.. no in every department lol :P I guess U know what I mean!

Z

Barely Human
08-01-2003, 08:13 PM
im sorry but ive got to dissagre with mark on this one(sorry mate!!)
Outboard gear is very good , and does give a lot of warmth and carracter to your tunes but look how long outboard gear has been around!!

VST technology has only been around a few years and allready things are progressing at an allaming rate!!

Put it this way- PC's are becoming so powerful now that in a few years the technologys for computer music will be awe inspiring. The fact that your pc have more storage space than a warehouse, and more power than a virus c to produce 4000 voices and 1000 simultaneos arpegiators will mean that completely software run studios will be the way forward.

I can see in the not so distant future, studios wich have a pc and a one master controler to do everythin in your pc.

But at the moment, its all preffernce. Some people swear by Hardware and some people live for software. But what i think is is important is that u use what is comfortable for you to get the job done.

miromiric.
08-01-2003, 11:47 PM
i agree with both soft and hard guys :)
it depends on what you are used to and what is easier for you to use.
i've been sittin' in front of computer since i was 8 years old kid )now i'm 21) and computers are like water to me. so logically is that i'm better in using software, way better. i always thought, before i had any hardware, that it' better to produce with real machines, but now i can see that this is not a fact, for me ofcourse. things go much faster and i can easiliy concentrate on making sounds.

but what i really think is that it's so irellevant what you use, it's important how you use it! i reckon you can make a solid track with just two wires + -, a recorder, glass and some water. and rubber gloves ofcourse hehe!

DJZeMig_L
20-01-2003, 04:28 AM
As a final though :

It's not what u use it's HOW u use it!!

Each machine be it Hard or soft has it's own character.. use it accordingly and 2 yer personal's taste!!

Z

automat
02-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Reason (or Fruity in your case), Ableton to arrange, then Acid to finalize to sound Forge. I like this formula personally. Use anything (outboard or Softsynth) to make loops then follow the steps... Cubase is pretty tight, Logic I think is tighter though for midi.

Rios
10-02-2003, 08:36 PM
I usually sample sounds thru several hadware effetcs modules. Record that op my pc, add some extra effects on FLoops end/or Wabelab, load those samples in to the Yamaha RS7000 as single shot samples or loops... And then sequence it and play it live. Actually everything what I record is played live. It has some restrictions, but for me it works best this way... This way I can give it a more organic feeling and can get new results quickly just by jamming on the RS7000.

I use extra outputs on the RS700, where i can send channels throuh the same effects modules used first. The RS7000 runs together with a laptop running Cubase for more complex sequencing and controlling other sound modules.

I would say, try different setups and sequencers. There is no such thing as a machine to build a house. It's all tools. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==