PDA

View Full Version : BALLOONHEADS ?!?! (SMITTEN)

gary_human
09-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Whatever happened to them?

I got (had) one AWESOME track that they released on Smitten and then nothing more?! :cry:

If Smitten is Dead is recycling the ole classics - can they PLEASE recycle this one (but not the ballonheads track - cant remember the name of THE track as I lost the viny).

THANKS!!!

The Divide
09-05-2004, 06:15 PM
I loved that track :clap:

jonnyspeed
09-05-2004, 09:05 PM
just an alias from the stay up forever crew. Guy Maffer & Ramos...

http://www.underave.net/acid_aka.htm

Si the Sigh
10-05-2004, 10:52 AM
It was Ramos, Hyde & UFO. Their tracks were done in the RSR Studio in Southhampton & mastered & mixed down by Guy McAffer at his studio. The Balloonheads label only had 3 releases on it, and TBH, only one of the 3 was any good IMO. The Smitten release Jaw to the Floor & Balloonism was wicked though, and some of their remixes were good.

jonnyspeed
10-05-2004, 01:33 PM
...and the homework prize for goes to Si ;)

word!

Si the Sigh
10-05-2004, 01:38 PM
ha ha! :lol: The only reason I know is I was talking to Ramos @ GBH a while back and I was asking him why he stopped producing acid techno.

gary_human
10-05-2004, 01:54 PM
ha ha! :lol: The only reason I know is I was talking to Ramos @ GBH a while back and I was asking him why he stopped producing acid techno.

AND (why did he stop producing acid techno) ? . . . .

Si the Sigh
10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Got bored of it. Remember he moved from hardcore / happy hardcore to acid techno. He has pretty much stopped DJ'ing apart from old Ramos & Supreme sets at old skool events. He does want to get back into playing out again though.

Paul Zykotik
10-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Didn't take him long to get bored of it then, haha

Were there 3 releases on Balloonheads? I've only ever heard of two, I thought they were both pretty good. They also did a remix of **** With The Programme (SUF Remix 15) and a tune on Fierce! under the name The Peloi Tactics, which is a more tech-house vibe but still pretty tough.

Kangxi
10-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Question for you Si, just from curiosity: This lil topic on Ballonheads, who, as we have seen, are not part of the regulars who produced most of the tracks on Smitten et cetera, got me wondering just how guys like Ramos wound up putting out a release on Smitten and doing remixes for SUF. Is it just down to "well we were all having a few beers with Steve and it seemed like a good idea" or was it something much more measured than that? - - thanks,

K

jonnyspeed
10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Guy mcaffer works with alot of people. Guess you meet people at gigs and others by people say they wouldn't mind working with you - he's also got a mad as studio and does alot of production + pressing via curve. Not a very big world if you are putting out techno. drop him a line - i'm sure he's always looking for inspiration :)

jonnyspeed
10-05-2004, 07:28 PM
And anyway any news on a Smitten Is Dead release of Jaw To The Floor?

Si the Sigh
11-05-2004, 07:53 AM

Dunno man. I bought loads of old vinyl off of Steve Smitten before he left the UK, and all he said about Smitten is Dead, was that there was going to be 10 releases over 2 years, and that there would be the original version of a track on one side & a remix on the other. He was keen to make sure that the remixes were of a really high quality. I know that the Trailer Trash release on SUFR was supposed to be the 1st Smitten is Dead, but Steve was not happy with it at all. As it had been finished it was released on SUFR. Dunno why he wasn't happy with it, I think its wicked! (the original was a bit weird I thought). As for whats to come on Smitten is Dead, god only knows, but if they can keep up the standards, I am expecting some wicked tracks! (By the way, everyone seems to big up Jaw to the Floor on the Balloonheads release, but I think the flip side, Balloonism is a much better track!)

jonnyspeed
11-05-2004, 08:58 AM
...its the bass lineon Jaw to the Floor that gives me rushes, just sat in me house :)

Si the Sigh
11-05-2004, 09:06 AM
:lol:

FILTERZ
11-05-2004, 12:04 PM

Dunno man. I bought loads of old vinyl off of Steve Smitten before he left the UK, and all he said about Smitten is Dead, was that there was going to be 10 releases over 2 years, and that there would be the original version of a track on one side & a remix on the other. He was keen to make sure that the remixes were of a really high quality. I know that the Trailer Trash release on SUFR was supposed to be the 1st Smitten is Dead, but Steve was not happy with it at all. As it had been finished it was released on SUFR. Dunno why he wasn't happy with it, I think its wicked! (the original was a bit weird I thought). As for whats to come on Smitten is Dead, god only knows, but if they can keep up the standards, I am expecting some wicked tracks! (By the way, everyone seems to big up Jaw to the Floor on the Balloonheads release, but I think the flip side, Balloonism is a much better track!) i agree matey

anx
11-05-2004, 04:55 PM
i'd love to see a jaw to the floor remix....drooool....

skalve
13-05-2004, 06:24 PM
both of them are crazy tracks.

my favorite acid vinyl! ;)

gary_human
13-05-2004, 06:37 PM
I think if we get enough posts in here we should hopefully definiteley get the powers to be to get that Jaw to the floor revamped for the 21st century.

Or does anyone wanna sell me their copy as mine has been half inched :cry:

the_psychologist
14-05-2004, 12:04 AM
i think there were only 2 releases on Ballonheads rec. i personally think both cuts on #1 are great, but #2 just sounds crap. i could hear the poor mastering even before i learned how to mix and trained my ears.

here's a good grail hunt for all the acid fans here- go buy the Ramos mix CD called Off Yer Nut. it starts out in techno, goes into acid techno, and ends in trancecore. kinda dodgy mixing, but a very good listen. the grail comment refers to the two exclusive remixes he put in the mix. there are acid techno mixes of both "Dreamesque" and "Judgement Day" that ****ing rock. the closest i got to finding them was calling the RSR people and having them offer to send me a dubplate for 100 quid (!!). i don't even think they had spoken to Ramos, so i doubt it would have happened. UFO told me the remixes were only on dub, and that makes me sad. the breakdown/build in the "JD" remix is massive.

ok, anorak has been stored in the closet again...

roswell
20-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Jaw To The Floor was imense - I tried to get it off my mate, but he wouldnt part with it - love to get hold of it again - are those Ramos, Mr Hyde and UFO still playing?

:shock:

Si the Sigh
21-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Ramos is trying to break back into hardcore, Mr Hyde I have no idea what he's doing & UFO still produces happy hardcore I think...

278d7e64a374de26f==