PDA

View Full Version : sampling records

zap
26-02-2003, 08:55 PM
just wanted to know if any of you guys sampel loops of other artists and use them in your tune not just ripping it off and puttting it straight in the tune but chop it up add effects etc etc etc

MARKEG
27-02-2003, 12:50 AM
we used to do it (an easy way to create a certain 'feel' for your trax) but we're much more careful now...

you have to be original to go forward..

DJAmok
27-02-2003, 02:53 PM
nope. never did, but at times I´m tempted. What I don´t want to end up doing though is do something like this greg silver guy.

detfella
27-02-2003, 05:13 PM
The perfect way to sample things is like Cassette Boy...not techno or trance...just insane!!

For some reason even the major shops are selling it?!

karlo
27-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Man, try to listen VIVA or MTV, all tracks are the same! there is no different between shakira and britney :o hahahaha !

Try to listen one rap song and other on MTV or VIVA, again its the same.

DJAmok
28-02-2003, 05:07 AM
yeah, the pro´s steal all the time. even the producer of jennifer lopez stole the beats of one of her later singles from some hiphop tune.

almost everyone does it. :? With techno it´s something elese, sometimes a loop can really fill up your tracks and give your music a nice feel, but personally I´d only use loops if I have permission to use em or my own. I think it´s very disrespectful, to take someone´s work without asking, modifying it a bit and then selling it as your own.

different of course with unauthorized remixes, those I regard as tributes, which is always cool.

miromiric.
28-02-2003, 10:23 AM
its not only direspectful, its where music stops being art and turns into plagariasm and a mean for earning cash.
music shouldn`t be done just for sake of doing it, something from the inside should drive you do it, in this way it becomes an art, a way of expressing yourself.
i talk from my perspective ofkorz.

MARKEG
28-02-2003, 03:41 PM
yes, i agree. you have to analyze the reasons why you're doing it....

up until recently, we'd have a folder on our hard drive called 'illegal loops' - stuff that a friend had sampled from tracks (techno/house/hip hop - allsorts!). they were so easy to use to fill up our tracks. but then you start to realise that you want to be original. it's not just about making music cause you want to get noticed. it's about developing your own sound and creativity.

i heard a few tracks recently that sample our own tracks and i can see the point even more!

Nomak
01-03-2003, 02:47 AM
But what do you think about sampling single hits such as bass notes and kicks and hats etc?

MARKEG
01-03-2003, 03:24 AM
oh god.. this is a very deep discussion

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MARKEG
01-03-2003, 03:33 AM
i personally think that if you can be 100% original, and make music ppl love, you're an absolute genius. but technology gives you 'shortcuts' and sometimes you can use these shortcuts and still be creative. we use alot of loops. i see that as being creative cause we get them from alot of different sources and 99% of the time change them completely, but it's not the ideal senario....

i still live for the day when the kick drum we use is something we've created 100% ourselves from a sine/square wave - as is every sound in our tracks... there's no presets/909/808 etc etc :=]

it just gonna take years and years to be able to do this....

but it's something we want to do.... as do alot of ppl i reckon...

wenna
01-03-2003, 02:19 PM
if youre not sure about using other musicians samples on your tunes then you could try films and tv.... (very original i know!!!!!!!) take tamok the resistance is futile of example.... samples star trek voyager but not in the slightest bit cheesey.

DJZeMig_L
01-03-2003, 03:35 PM
I used 2 b a fundamentalist... No samples, bla bla bla... But in fact most of our synth are S+S based meaning they have samples on they're root!
That brings me 2 the conclusion that maybe it's not so bad if u sample beats & pieces!
Then U can also argue (had this discussion once with Cisco F.) that your work is also using someone's basic ideas and inproving on that... like certain way 2 place a clap or a kick... I mean rhytmically for instancewould b very dificult 2 create something absolutly new... so I guess the key operative word would b .. Re-Creation/ Re-invention. I tend 2 find that music moves in a sort of elipse movement, slightly coming back 2 the past for ideias but using them on different context or in a different way, thus re-creating somethin new.
Most of time something NEW is in fact a bit of something old aswell!!
BTW the name for Cisco's label Kombination Research comes from this viewpoint... it's the research for creating new combinations, ideias, formulas... finding new Combinations for elements (old or recent) hence (re) creating!!

My all ideia changed when I realised that my first synth was S+S (sample + Synthesis) but I was creating all my sounds... still I wasen't starting from a simple raw Waveform... but even then U r starting from something equal 2 all sounds!!!

I guess this is a bit of a headfu** subject!!

BUT when I saw a friend of mine (not Cisco) use a totally nicked loop, obvious as hell, and still get loads of thumbs p and airplay by loads of Big DJs .. That pissed me off.. here I was doing my head in creating new bleeps and This guy came along very new 2 the scene and got primetime with no sweat!! :shock:

I guess it's all in the way U use It and how u use... !!

Now I sample every1 and anything... I make sure I use it In a way that is unique!! (or at least try) 4 that I cut the loops, sounds, vocals!
I have shown tracks with samples 2 the originatours and they didn't even noticed.

I have feel hounoured and ripped of but people sampling me.. depends how it was donne and used!!

Sorry 4 the long post!

Z

miromiric.
01-03-2003, 05:53 PM
ok, well sampling of small pieces is ok, but using someone`s loops is not polite.

JACKSTAR
02-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Personally I don't sample other peoples music but I do take the odd ghetto sample from films or old hip-hop records. I must admit I would feel quite proud if I heard a record where someone had sampled my music. For Hip-Hop though I think sampling other peoples cuts is all part of the parcel (well it was in the better old days).

P.

JACKSTAR
02-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Personally I don't sample other peoples music but I do take the odd ghetto sample from films or old hip-hop records. I must admit I would feel quite proud if I heard a record where someone had sampled my music. For Hip-Hop though I think sampling other peoples cuts is all part of the parcel (well it was in the better old days).

P.

JACKSTAR
02-03-2003, 03:05 PM

P.

DJAmok
02-03-2003, 06:43 PM
in addition to what Ze MigL said, I totally agree, there is no sense in re-inventing the wheel. When you´re working with a 4/4 rhythm you can be pretty sure that just about every constellation has already been done. But if you just let your inspiration flow, you will come up with something unique (in it´s own way) every time.

The violin had been there for a long time and beethoven, mozart, etc all used it in their own way. Composers don´t have to create new insruments to be original, it´s mainly what you do with what is already there.

But that still implies that YOU (as an artist) have to do it, not take what someone else did and sell it as your work. At least that´s the way I feel it should be. And from what I read so far, everyone here seems to agree on this :D

Now with techno, we have to possibility to use samples from everywhere: movies, nature, machines... nothing wrong with that, as it is not a composition we are stealing. We are still creating something new. Unlike if you just take a loop, add one or two bleeping sounds and call it your work. That´s just bullshit.
There´s a new Label from Germany, where pretty much every release is stolen music with some hardtrance synths added on top. They got loops from Speedy J, Chris Varela, Glenn Wilson, Chris Liebing, appearantly also Sven Wittekind and Patrik Skoog in there and basically just edited those loops a bit, added their hardtrance bassdrum and a stupid synth. And this shit is selling.

I hope people notice and won´t buy those records. There is a lot of original music out on the market, there is no reason to support anyone who steals other people´s work and effort. If this doesn´t come to a stop, techno may someday be what pop is now. Recycled uninspired manufactured music, designed to sell.

DJZeMig_L
03-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Now this is where we come Full Circule!!

Picking up on Amoks words... The main thing is 2 b original, sure I value much more some1 who does his own stuff from scratch, but when it comes down 2 get those ars*s shakin' on tha dance floor what really matters is if the tracks has it or not!! Sorry I'm driftin a little... SO HOW CAN U B ORIGINAL WHEN MOST DISTRIBUITORS ONLY WANT U 2 SOUND LIKE SOME1 ELSE!?!?!?! Sorry but this is somethin that I really feel strongly about... Distr. should only make sure your music gets places and not create/ manage Trends!! :evil:

PS- Check Akufen's tracks if u want 2 b :shock: but so CREATIVE sampling!!

Z

DJZeMig_L
08-03-2003, 05:39 AM
Oooops!

I didn't mean 2 kill the thread! :oops:

Z

Adverse
08-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Sorry but this is somethin that I really feel strongly about... Distr. should only make sure your music gets places and not create/ manage Trends!!

absolutely.

DJAmok
10-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Yeah, and distr. could make sure they don´t allow stolen stuff on the market. But then again, they can´t know everything and if a speedy j loop sounded good once, it´ll sound good again :?

karlo
10-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah, and distr. could make sure they don´t allow stolen stuff on the market. But then again, they can´t know everything and if a speedy j loop sounded good once, it´ll sound good again :?

You mean on Loudboxer album 2x12" with 200 loops ?

its specific speedy j sound..

cant use that loops noone or can make rmx and send to speedy !

Regards,
Karlo

tekboi
30-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Are there and what kind of software programs (names) are high quality and good for sampling a record, cd or what have you?

Just curious, thanks :)

Barely Human
30-03-2003, 03:52 PM
For recording the sample into your pc, i would use wavelab, but sound forge is also a favorite. Then u need a soft sampler(halion or kontact) or other program, like cubese, logic, sonar, reason,fruityloops,etc... to put it into your tune.

DJZeMig_L
30-03-2003, 08:50 PM
For quality sampling the main thing is how good your hardware is (i.e. Sound Card) and not yer software...

Z

Sven Wittekind
08-04-2003, 02:40 AM
oh this topic is one of the best ever.

me myself and I :lol: are very angry at these loopstealers!

Lately I´ve been hearing loops taken from my tracks and reused in other guys traxx.I am so angry about that , i don´t know how to stop them guys :(

I really ask myself what the **** is wrong up with that suckers , like they´re not talented enough to create their own sounds or loops ... it make me sick , that they steal from me, SICK!SICK!SICK!

i don´t know how to stop it , i can´t write to every label "hey thats my loop" its a lot of stress ,so i think i have to live with that piss :cry:

regards

Vin-iLL
08-04-2003, 08:46 AM
I never did that....

It's a challenge for me finding the right samples I want to use.

karlo
08-04-2003, 10:37 AM
oh this topic is one of the best ever.

me myself and I :lol: are very angry at these loopstealers!

Lately I´ve been hearing loops taken from my tracks and reused in other guys traxx.I am so angry about that , i don´t know how to stop them guys :(

I really ask myself what the **** is wrong up with that suckers , like they´re not talented enough to create their own sounds or loops ... it make me sick , that they steal from me, SICK!SICK!SICK!

i don´t know how to stop it , i can´t write to every label "hey thats my loop" its a lot of stress ,so i think i have to live with that piss :cry:

regards

Heeeeeeej sooooooonnnnn !!!! Dont know how to stop ?? :lol: JUST TELL YOUR FATHER (internal speak :P )

Regards,
Karlo

Basil Rush
08-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Sven - over here if someone rips off your copyright work then you can get an injunction in the first instance to prevent them from continuing to distribute copies then take further action if you want for damages. I can't imagine a label will stop distributing something just because you ask them to unless you happen to be holding the label owners daughter upside down out of a 12th floor window. Where are you from?

eyes without a face
08-04-2003, 05:13 PM
i heard a Sandy Warez track on SubSounds and it sounded exactly like a track off Glenn Wilson "Tonal Path 2" on Planet Rythym. i was laughin my head off at the fact that it was so blatent

dj_switchblade
09-04-2003, 12:54 AM
hey mark! uve hit the nail on the head there!!!!! theres aint many tunes that are 100% original, they have always got some kinda loop thats been nicked from some1!! im waitin for the day that each tune has its own individual sound but theres so many tunes that its hard 2 be individual!! u make a tune that u believe is individual n then u hear a tuune a month later that sounds so similar!!!!!!!! im a fruity user n theres only so much u can do with that, u have to use samples from sumwhere! the software available is the only limitations to the music progressing!!!!!!!!

DJZeMig_L
09-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Then u can always say that u haven't nicked a sample but almost all drum patterns have been donne b4, so r kinda sampling the sequence!?!?

I guess like I said b4 it's down 2 the way u incorporate the samples/ sounds, etc... and how "original" u can b in they're usage...

I just came across a record that made me go like "damn I wish I had donne that sampling"... It's a record by Laidback Luke on Groove alert, he sample part of one of the tracks on the documentary Buenna Vista Social Club.... bloody amazing!! :shock:

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==