PDA

View Full Version : Some bad pressings at Curvepusher?

Si the Sigh
11-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Just spotted this on Banging Tunes...

http://www.bangingtunes.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MUSIC&Number=682447&page=0 &sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Check it out...

I had a badly pressed Powertools a little while back. A real nasty dent towards the end of one of the tracks. Other copies in the shop I got it from were the same. Anyone else had problems or noticed any damage? :eh:

Spooney
11-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah there little bastards! Either makes the tune jump or makes the sound dip. Had it with tunes on Routemaster, Cluster , S.U.F and Powertools the A side to my copy of Apex 6 is a shit press :eh:

Si the Sigh
11-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Nightmare mate. Anyone else noticed any problems with tracks that have been pressed at Curve? I wanna know what causes those little dents. They are proper annoying... :evil:

gunjack
11-05-2004, 02:56 PM
deafmosaic has moved back to mpo if that tells you anything.....

Louk
11-05-2004, 02:57 PM
i noticed it on a few of alphamagics pressings of late

my promos have coem thru with jagged edges, crackles all over the shop, warped or the paper sleeve had bubbles in

Louk

dirty_bass
11-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I think it`s down to bubbles in the vinyl, and some pressing problems down to the machines not being cleaned enough. Mostly little things like this are hard to eliminate.

Larney
11-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Curvepusher :lol:

Curved Pressings :dontevengothere:

Boboagogo
11-05-2004, 05:19 PM
'or the paper sleeve had bubbles in '

got this for the first time last week and it just happened to be takaakis 'the nightmare continues' on sheep..gutted like! so dodgy trying to mix it in, espec. with those harsh breakbeats..

jonnyspeed
11-05-2004, 06:15 PM
80% of what I buy is off curve with not one problem on any of them - the only bad vinyl I get is floppy ~100g rubbish, normally from Germany, where 3 have had to go back because they too easily skipped the first groove or were warped. I bet failure rates on curve are much lower than other labels for the volume they put out.

waldhaus
11-05-2004, 06:25 PM
yes thats true! lots of german labels can't pay or don't want to pay a proper mastering. this affects the quality very much! when you compare a record mastered by curvepusher and a record from a standard hard techno label from germany, it's like "PA vs kitchen radio"...

dan the acid man
11-05-2004, 08:17 PM
ive had a few lttle bobbles here and there but nothing major, it's usually of a high standard

basslinejunkie
11-05-2004, 09:00 PM
ive noticed this as well,i thought it was my needles :doh:

DJMAYA
12-05-2004, 06:28 AM
ive seen some bubbles rising in the bath??? :shock:

but i think thats me. :oops:

Willy_Wonka
12-05-2004, 10:25 AM
I know Curved Pressings always press 10% over the required run and then the records are checked individually at plant, with substandard records being discarded. But there's bound to be some mistakes and discrepancies - there always is, with any manufacturing process - doesn't mean that the whole operation is crap, you just got unlucky.

And there will always be a few bad apples, just take them back to the shop, what's the point of bitching about it on the internet, all that will happen is you'll find a few other people who have bought a few bad pressings over the last few months and next thing you know you are convinced that everything coming out is shit and you are all being ripped off...

Si the Sigh
12-05-2004, 10:35 AM
I've not said that have I? :eh: All I said was I had noticed some flaws & dents. Nearly everything I have bought thats been pressed at Curvepusher has been quality, but I had noticed some bad pressings lately. Dirty Bass pointed out a reason for why that might be & im happy. It wasn't a diss, and I am not complaining that ive been ripped off. I don't think anyone was.

Rog
12-05-2004, 11:52 AM
as i said on bt - i have still had no prob..

you can't diss curve pusher -doing a grand job overall!- :clap:

Rog
12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
lawrie just put this on BT :clap: :dance: :clap:

hello there, lawrie from curve pusher and curved pressings here. on the whole i believe this discussion is about the pressing plant , not curve pusher .( scratches / warps etc are pressing issues , not cutting / mastering ) the skankadelic cuts mentioned would however be curvepusher. these will be checked , but the customer was happy. on this note also , the engineer that cut those (ashley , (or phase as he called himself),has been sacked as it was noted his cuts were not up to scratch , please excuse the pun). curve pusher has an excellent reputation with a vast array of successful and new artists from all genres accross the world, to vast to go into now . on the warped / scratched issue, ( curved pressings ), the plant endeavours to make sure every record is of an excellent standard. not every single one can be garanteed . i suggest you take the offending record back to the shop who should be more than happy to exchange it for a good one. its your right as a consumer. i hope this clears things up a little.
lawrie immersion / pounding grooves / curve pusher / curved pressings

Si the Sigh
12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Fair play! :cool:

Si the Sigh
12-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Rog - I take it your Rog*da*Cunt on Banging Tunes then! :lol: House****er is my user name on there.

Rog
12-05-2004, 01:14 PM
indeed i am mate - there seemed to be a "good level of language" and "grammer" so i disd'nt want to lower the tone here - not yet anyway.. will set a profile when i have the help.. im a pc setting up spaz'o :doh:

The icons here are great!!! :notworthy:

Si the Sigh
12-05-2004, 01:18 PM
They sure are! :liar:

jonnyspeed
12-05-2004, 03:13 PM
has a look last night at a hundred or so releases on curve - found 2 with slight warp and 1 with bubbles on the surface. No playing problems. Guess I'm just a lucky punk...

StoQ
12-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Damn, I've heard Curve Pusher's the best 4 hardtekkno mastaring. hmmm, either the pressing?

Metadog
12-05-2004, 07:21 PM
hmmm - interesting - have not really noticed many probs wiv vinyl i've bought that has come from curvepusher

the vinyl does not usually say where it has been pressed tho and obviously that's gotta be taken into account before judging ...

we cut chase yer tail 01 with curvepusher but went with independent for the pressing - fully happy with both parts of the process

ashley who worked at curvepusher did a top job for us

we were gonna go with him for cyt 02 but not any more it would seem

we did hear about a few probs various mates have had with independent but also we know people who have had no probs and decided to go with them

i am double interested to hear the curved pressings probs people have been having as we have decided to do everything with them for cyt 02

as i've not really noticed any probs we will still be doing this unless the plant blows up or something

death on a stick
13-05-2004, 03:32 PM
lawrie just put this on BT :clap: :dance: :clap:

hello there, lawrie from curve pusher and curved pressings here. on the whole i believe this discussion is about the pressing plant , not curve pusher .( scratches / warps etc are pressing issues , not cutting / mastering ) the skankadelic cuts mentioned would however be curvepusher. these will be checked , but the customer was happy. on this note also , the engineer that cut those (ashley , (or phase as he called himself),has been sacked as it was noted his cuts were not up to scratch , please excuse the pun). curve pusher has an excellent reputation with a vast array of successful and new artists from all genres accross the world, to vast to go into now . on the warped / scratched issue, ( curved pressings ), the plant endeavours to make sure every record is of an excellent standard. not every single one can be garanteed . i suggest you take the offending record back to the shop who should be more than happy to exchange it for a good one. its your right as a consumer. i hope this clears things up a little.
lawrie immersion / pounding grooves / curve pusher / curved pressings
That bit in red is a lie, btw. Phase was headhunted away from Curvepusher. Lawrie Immersion's just pissed off at him, probably. His cuts were great and I know a few people who are pissed off at the fact he won't be there anymore. less of the :clap: and more of the :evil: methinks.

Bitchy lies aside, Curvepusher has always been very good at producing fat cuts. Ashley was better for cutting decent techno as he didn't want to turn every track into noisy acid squat party muzak. Laurie is great too, but you have to be there to temper him a bit.

It's important to separate Curve Pusher from Curved Pressings. Despite their associations, 'Pusher has always excelled in my experience, both in customer service and quality of work. 'Pressings, on the other hand, is hit and miss on quality of work and has no concept whatsoever of customer service.

Metadog
13-05-2004, 06:12 PM
interesting point about ashley there - any idea where he has gone to ?

ashley cut cyt 01 and he did a great job - possibly spending a bit more time on the cut than lawrie might have done - we were well up for using him again - top bloke as well as a top engineer - i was disappointed to learn he had gone and very surprised to read that his cuts had supposedly not been up to standard - i have got quite a few records that he has cut and they are all spot on jobs

hmmm ...

tioneb
13-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Bitchy lies aside, Curvepusher has always been very good at producing fat cuts. Ashley was better for cutting decent techno as he didn't want to turn every track into noisy acid squat party muzak. Laurie is great too, but you have to be there to temper him a bit.

oh tahts funny, when i was in london, some good and known producer (i will keep him anonymous) told me exactly the same thing .... lawrie wants to make each track sound london acid with phat bass and hard mediums , and if you want to avoid this you have to be there with him ...

anyways on my personnal side if i were running a label i would master it at the exchange, i just think that if you sell around 1000 records you dont lose money...

death on a stick
13-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I've used both places and I'd say Curvepusher gets as good results, but for far less money. That said, I reckon CP must have taken so much business from the Exchange they may have dropped their prices since I last used them 3 or 4 years ago.

Rog
14-05-2004, 10:22 PM
well when the day comes i can make something good enougth to be cut - i will hunt around.. but as i said every curve chewn i have is fine! :love:

The Overfiend
14-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I've never heard a thing wrong from Nilz @ the Exchange,
as far as Lawrie is concerned he's god and ye all shall bend over and take his ass kicking and like it thank you.

killarava2day
15-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Nilz was on most pressings for ages around 99-01...after that I can't recall ever seeing his stuff.

Speaking of pressings, I just chucked on Crowbar 04 which I got yesterday. After checking the needle, trying another deck, playing with the mixer and making sure that the that misses hadn't played with the amp, I realised that this was probably the worst piece of plastic ever mastered, along with 03 which I tried after that. Gezz, I'm not wasting my money on sort've crap any more.

dirty_bass
15-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmmm I think if I could afford it, I`d go for the exchange, Lawrie is really really good, and for the price, he is actually fantastic. But I think the Exchange just pip him for quality. But this is mainly due to their experience. Still, I think at the price they charge, they`d better be all that.

Ritzi Lee
15-05-2004, 08:07 PM
lawrie does my cuts.
but pressing is done in holland.

278d7e64a374de26f==