PDA

View Full Version : 5 "Useful" tips

el_satan666
12-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Here are 5 tips about things I had to find out the hard way so thought it might be helpful to others. These are not to be taken as gospel btw, they're just guides!

1. When recording, set the record level low, and "normalise" afterwards to properly ensure you don't get clipping. Too low however and you might get too much noise so trick around a bit.

2. Record in a higher quality than you intend to use. You can always cut down to the quality you want, but you can never go to a higher quality once recorded.

3. A nice program to record with is "Stealth Recorder". Hook up to computer as normal, and leave it run. It notices when there's no silence and starts recording then. Once it hears silence, it stops recording. This means you can just leave it on and FORGET about it. Brilliant if you're the kind of person who's conscious about recording your mixes.

4. If you have Sennheiser headphones and break the cable, don't buy an official replacement one. It's been my experience that you can find better quality (both physical and audible) and cheaper online. Failing that you can make your own. Being official doesn't seem to make them last longer.

5. If you're always breaking headphone cables, wrap a spring around the plug end so it gives it a bit more flexibility. If you've ever played an electric guitar you'll know the cables that last longer are the ones with coiled springs on the plugs.

Hope they make sense and are some use to people! If they are of any use, and there's some positive feedback I might make it a regular thing. I know I love reading about the small things that are like those 5 minute "trade secrets" shows.

Thanks!

dan the acid man
13-05-2004, 09:01 PM
nice tips, thanks :cool:

el_satan666
14-05-2004, 05:16 PM
no worries, like i said hope they're of use!

278d7e64a374de26f==