PDA

View Full Version : First track in ages... opinions please :)

daviec
12-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Well I've just done my first track in ages.

I'm quite chuffed with it, but I reckon it's rough round the edges. I flung it together for a gig I'll be playing this weekend, but if anyones got any tips for tweaking it before then I'll gladly take them onboard.

One of the major problems I had was keeping the kick clear in the mix. I've actually got one sent through two 3 reverbs (2 PSP84's and a standard cubase sx reverb) and the other is dry, to try and bring it outin the mix a bit. My problem was that trying to keep the levels down (ie not clipping) meant I had to turn the two channels almost all the way out of the mix, and lost all the energy.

I think I've got round that by putting a limiter on the master fx channel and setting it to -0.5dB and an auto release.

I'm actually quite happy with the final sound, and though I might not have had any great ideas for the actual sequences I reckon it should do a job on the dancefloor.

Right click and Save As... (http://www.technolab.co.uk/Draft2.mp3)

DJZeMig_L
13-05-2004, 04:23 AM
the synth that comes in around 1m 20 s is a bit 2 loud...

I think u had the prob with the kick cause of the loads of verbs u are using that make the kick sound distant and muddy ... cut all the bass out of the reverb.. then had just a hint or use a different instance of the same reverb just for the kick so that u can make it more subtile...

The vocals with the chopping/ delays are a bit loud as are the 3rd synth sound that appears ocassionally.

I would make a group with all the sounds but the kick, then have the kick compress it slightly so as 2 make it slightly more pumping and tighter with the kick.

I think u need 2 leave the voices more as add ons and concentrate more on the synth sounds 2 create a sort of hook!

This track ain't really my type of thing so excuse me if I was a little 2out of line"

Z

daviec
14-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Great feedback mate, thank you very much.

I'll try cutting the bass out of the reverbs. I've had a look back at my settings and one of the reverbs is actually set as a simple delay, so it's not quite as muddied from that as it would be. I'll cut the bass from it as well though.

The two synths which are too loud were added on at the end, and you're right I haven't placed them in the mix properly.

And the vocals that are too loud seemed OK until I put a limiter on the master output, and then they came through louder coz they didn't hit the limiter, so I'll probably go back to all the levels, and try and get everything in without hitting +5dB all the time :lol:

Thanks v much mate.

278d7e64a374de26f==