PDA

View Full Version : Guy McAffer / The Geezer...

Si the Sigh
13-05-2004, 11:05 AM
What are your opinions on Guy? I used to really love his tracks & looked forward to his releases. Now I feel, and from comments on this board I know some of you feel, that he seems to be stuck in a rut. His tracks are so formulated now, and are becoming boring. For example, the RAW releases started out being spot on. 1 - 10 were excellent, then the label went through a really bad patch IMO until RAW 19, but now they are starting to go back into the same old same old formula. I have to say, I do really like the Top Shelf & Shark releases, as they are trying to do something a bit different. I hope they don't go the RAW way. Has he run out of ideas? Or do you think he's still producing quality tracks? A good point I suppose, is that with a RAW release you know exactly what your going to get. I'm not trying to diss Guy too much, because like I said, he has produced some amazing stuff in the past. It just seems he's not progressing much at the moment. Your thoughts? :eh:

sim
13-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Personally, I think that his stuff is rather boring these days as well.

Some of my favourite tunes have been produced by Guy, (suf 15, loads of the old smittens, etc). However, these days I find myself not buying his tunes, even if it means ****ing up my collection - didn't bother with cluster 49 even though i had most of them up till then. The thing I don't like is that all of his beats sound the same - if you listen to the percussion on RAW 5, then on the most recent releases, it shows how little, imho, he has been pushing the sound in the last 4 years (or however long). One thing I have found with DAVE's tunes, on the other hand, is that he still manages to come up with new sounds & ideas, each tune that I buy of his sounds different to the last, which I think is great.

Personally, I would buy more of Guy's tunes if the percussion was different, as i like a lot of the samples, noises, etc that he uses, i just find the beats too ploddy. It pisses me off as well, as skank & wah wah have the makings of great acid labels, with a welcome return to the 303 sound, but every ****ing tune has Guy's beats all through it. :cry:

Well, thats my uneducated rant over with, anyway....

Sim.

Si the Sigh
13-05-2004, 11:20 AM
100% agree with you there mate...

davethedrummer
13-05-2004, 11:56 AM
yeah i must admit to not playing too much of his tuff myself these days.
i used to play nearly whole sets of raw etc
but these days i find them too bass heavy, and not enough cut and slice in the percussion, (if that makes any sense)
also the samples and sounds are getting a bit samey.

they are useful records for mixing and all that
but i wish that guys would get out of this sloppy production rut and experiment a bit more.

i know he has it in him, he's a talented bloke , and has some great concepts but i think he's just blowing cold with techno and maybe he needs to do something else entirley to get that freshness back.

sorry to have to say it 'cos i love guy dearly but it's so frustrating to hear him just trotting it out these days.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

jonnyspeed
13-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Nar - RAW is really ****ing shite :shock: these days - only bought #20 and #5 because I've talked to Anodyne and Rachel - and wanted to support them. It just sounds like he's pressed the 'techno' button on his Bontempi and recorded a break off his old record collection. But I bet its a bit of a cash cow for him.

... but Shredder stuff on Cluster, Audio Pancake and Top Shelf are slamming - and WAHWAH is just unashamed 'avin it acid.

:clap:

dan the acid man
13-05-2004, 12:33 PM
thats the thing, we all love guy, he's produced some amzing tune's and we all know he's a talented man, but most of his tune's are following the same structure now.

Si the Sigh
13-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Someone should tell him...

Henry?

:lol:

sim
13-05-2004, 12:49 PM
I don't think its necessarily a new thing, however. A little while a go, I was digging around & listening to some older Geezer tunes & found they were often very similar (such as organgrinder 10, with a lot of his smitten work, & some of the bastard's tunes). I often find myself judging a producer by whether I call tell, blind, who a tune is by. I mean, sure, most producers have sounds that they like & that crop up often in their productions, but thats just their style. But, if you can tell from the first 4/8 beats who a tune is made by, it puts me off, especially when they're releasing 2/3 tunes a week....

Having said all that, I love all the old Geezer stuff that is similar, so I guess if Guy was making tunes that I liked to start with (I admit I've never been keen on the RAW sound), I'd probably be happier than a pig in shite!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're as prolific a producer as the Geezer, it would be nice to see some innovation...

But then, I don't have the first idea about making tunes, so I'm probably talking out my arse!!!

Sim.

Paul Zykotik
13-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Been bored as hell with RAW for ages now. He is capable of making that formula work really well though - his remix of Serious Mind**** is a brilliant track, and came out around the same time RAW was getting stuck in a rut. The thing is RAW just consists of the same heavy bass, chopped up hiphop/disco sample and ride cymbal every 16 bars every time. There's no other attempt at a melody or even some ****ed up sounds.

That latest release on Highwire shows he's more than capable of doing quality tunes as well, the a-side is one of the funkiest tunes I've heard in ages!

Si the Sigh
13-05-2004, 12:59 PM
SIM: I know what your saying, I can tell an Ant track by the kicks instantly on some of his tunes.

PAUL ZYKOTIK: The best things Guy is working on IMO is the Highwire tracks. I love every single release he's put out on that label.

Spooney
13-05-2004, 03:51 PM
I also think that RAW has gone to pieces, Guy just seems to be sticking to what he knows, he's lost his creativity/originality. The stuff he's been putting out on other labels has been good imo, far better than RAW anyway. Personally I prefer the tunes he makes when he collaborates with other producers.

dirty_bass
13-05-2004, 04:02 PM
It`s obvious that guy is a class producer. He (along with the rest of the London acid techno old guard) is probably a major factor as to why I got into doin raves, and therefore records.
So for me it is a little bit of a shame for me to see Guy`s standards slip.
I think the problem is very simple. The man is doin too much. He releases so much there is little time in his schedule for experimentation or really reworkin the formula.
I spend a hell of a lot of time in the studio, and there are some times, when I go for a peroid of 2-3 weeks, when nothing works at all. So I just stop and do something else. I don`t think Guy has this luxury, so if he comes dry in the inspiration department, he falls back on his tried and tested.

Take a break man!!!!

Slink
13-05-2004, 05:09 PM
The best set I've heard Guy do was a classic funk set at a mate's birthday party in Brixton - he rocked the place!

But yeah, his reliance on the same template in his productions is saddening, especially because he obviously has a good set of ears on him and his talent still shines through even when he's not on top form.

I almost buy a lot of his tunes, but then give them a second listen or hear them out when I'm dancing and always get bored of the same overly busy loops just churning away and not progressing.

I have heard that he's a very quick worker and can get a track done in a day, maybe this is his downfall - if he just spent more time on putting some detailed sequencing and progression into his loops and edits, his tracks would work so much better on the dancefloor and have a much longer shelf life.

dirty_bass
13-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Waheeeey Jude!!!
Just got me copy of Squelch one dude.
That`s the stuff fella!!!

Slink
13-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Wicked! I just my copy of Dirty Bass 004 - how's that for nepotism? :dance:

anx
13-05-2004, 05:20 PM
if he can produce more stuff like the serious mind **** remixes still then he will be onto something.

Maybe techno just isnt guy's thing? i find that all his best releases have somewhat of a trance (by trance i mean, the style of trance that stay up forever and old smittens are) feel to them, or old school acid techno.

anx
13-05-2004, 05:33 PM
k that sounded a bit harsh im not saying guy sucks at techno, im just trying to say he is better at trance/acid techno than he is at his raw style techno. im not saying he hasnt made any good techno either, he has made some ass whipping techno tracks.

John Vella
13-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I think Dirty Bass hit the nail on the head!!

Slow down!!

-j

Metadog
13-05-2004, 06:49 PM
gotta say i agree with the general consensus about RAW and da geezer

if one RAW side is great the other will usually be a bit bog standard

i love raw tracks with a stand out vocaly bit e.g. 18A, 22A or 24AA

not bothered that they have not got much by the way of melody in there - they rock

i really liked RAW 20A - total stand out track for RAW - simple yet awesome inspiring and even melodic

seems maybe guys better tracks are often made with someone else - maybe he makes so much techno that he does better with a bit of inspiration from another body in the studio

skank and wah are great labels but are becoming a bit samey already - some ripping acid tracks tho for sure, some great set enders !

not too bothered about highwire, although i got HW17 recently, side A being my fave

you can totally tell it is geezer even tho he does not put his name to it

fuct 01 B is pretty darn cool techno with not such an obvious geezer sound

atomic 03 is a standout track - wicked energy to it - best he has done in ages - atomic 05 rocks big style too !!!

crash and burn (geezer and aaron lib) have done some excellent tracks - suf 71 for instance

can't be bothered to list any more but i do reckon that guy rocks

at least a quarter of my techno has been made or collaborated on by this man

he has made so many tracks it is not surprising some sound a bit like each other

not too keen on his efforts as dick capitate but hats off to the dude for trying something a bit different

my box has got far more dave the drummer tracks in it right now than geezer - henry writes loads but seems to get a wider variety of techno sounds than geezer - his tracks generally are much less formulaic and fresher sounding, pushing the boundaries of techno a bit further if you ask me

henrys bass is always fat but for some reason as henry said and funny enuff i was talking about this same subject last week with a mate - geezers tracks seem to be almost a little bass heavy - it is usually very obvious when his bassline comes in in a mix - not that i mind fat bass of course and it's only a minor point really but they can be almost overpowering at times

geezer does seem to be able to get a certain type of woof that noone else hits tho !!!

:clap:

Metadog
13-05-2004, 06:51 PM
oh and to get a bit personal does it seem to anyone else that da geeza has got a bit of an obsession with wanking ?

have you checked the inner scratching on RAW 24 ? lololololol piss funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

speed-it-up
13-05-2004, 07:00 PM
was it your wankrag ?

the_psychologist
14-05-2004, 12:46 AM
"I don't think its necessarily a new thing, however. A little while a go, I was digging around & listening to some older Geezer tunes & found they were often very similar"

yeah, i call it the Geezer Muffle. i noticed it as far back as Balloonheads 02. it always makes me think the needle needs to be changed! it's odd how Geezer has two sides to him... he CAN put out tunes with good production values (i always think of Antidote 04 and Bang On 7), but i think he's too prolific to take the time needed these days. the thing that really bothers me is when the Geezer Muffle bleeds over to other labels, like the latest SUFs and Skanks. it was even in effect for the early No Entry tunes, which i felt lacked any muscle when being mixed with beefier records.

i think there are a few factors at play: first, he doesn't seem to tour like the other London people, so i bet he needs to produce mad tunes to stay afloat $$-wise. second, i think he engineers a lot fo tunes for people who don't have much production experience, so they don't push him to up the quality.

davethedrummer
14-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Someone should tell him...

Henry?

well i have, in as polite a way as possible.
i've also offered him to listen to any of my new records to give him and idea of where techno is going' cos to be honest part of it is that he doesn't really like listening to techno anymore.

also as someone said earlier on his release schedule is so busy that it's hard for him to get creative everytime.
it's a case of not being able to do anything else and having to make a living and being creative .
a very difficult harmony to find in life.

i'd love to hear guy make some funk or breaks or something else
that would be cool reckon

Si the Sigh
14-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Fair play to you for having a word. I would like to see Guy try something different. Breaks would be cool. I do really love the reggae influenced Highwire releases. Thats something he is damn good at! Would like to hear some sort of reggae influenced breaks or something from him. Could be interesting!

Rog
14-05-2004, 04:26 PM
ok ok..

steve and I actually chatted about this the other day - I know its not everybodys style - or person.. but bring back the man choci, guy and choci together rock!

As for the percussion based raw sound, its tired.. its tested.. it worked - but as steve's pointed out, maybe his work load allows little experiment time..

But he is a legend - and some early raw floated my boat ;)

Antinoise
14-05-2004, 05:08 PM
:lol:[/quote]
i'd love to hear guy make some funk or breaks or something else
that would be cool reckon[/quote]

I think everyone making techno should take a listen to some of the traxs coming out of the breaks scene these days. Loaded with groove yet still using raw sounds (and I'm not talking about Florida trancy crap). Techno producers often forget what it’s all about. I've recently switched a big % of my production to raw breaks and I'm feeling allot better about where things are headed.

ant
19-05-2004, 06:05 PM
This is the first time I've written on a forum. I usually don't bother because I feel most of the opinions expressed by some people concentrate solely on slagging or praising one particular part of the topic and the greater picture is NEVER represented, which is why I want to have a say on this particular thread. My point is aimed at all those people who seem to be loving finding faults in Guy's (or anyone's) music and production. If you think the releases are sounding the same, then thats perfectly fine, but DON'T dare slag him for it. Music and production are personal thing. If you don't get on with a particular style anymore, have a bit of initiative and move on to something you do like. Don't sit there and moan about how tedious things have got.

Formulas work! It's what music is based on. Ok, its easy to get stuck in a rut sometimes and formulas get rinsed, but try writing a live set and then playing it out twice, sometimes three times a weekend, meeting a hectic release schedule for the records and then finding time to engineer for people, who, most of the time rely on YOUR ideas because they've not come to the studio prepared and have no ideas (and apart from a select few, NO TALENT) of their own. Some wannabe DJ's just hire the studio and the engineer to get their names on the records because they think it's the short cut to the big time. These people are leeches, sucking all the creativity out of you. To handle all this is only just managable if you're REALLY on it... and believe me, Guy IS. But he is also human and as everybody SHOULD know, creativity dosen't come from a tap. If you hit a dry patch it can take WEEKS to get back in the vibe of things.

So, why not try and spent the 1000's of £'s it costs to build and maintain a studio and do it yourself. Not to mention the 5 - 10 years it takes to hone your production skills, oh yeah, I forgot about learning to use the equipment in the first place. Then maybe we can all come back in a few years and read what people have to say about YOU!

da hound
19-05-2004, 06:21 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

anx
19-05-2004, 06:30 PM
thanks for the perspective ant

Si the Sigh
20-05-2004, 07:55 AM
This is the first time I've written on a forum. I usually don't bother because I feel most of the opinions expressed by some people concentrate solely on slagging or praising one particular part of the topic and the greater picture is NEVER represented, which is why I want to have a say on this particular thread. My point is aimed at all those people who seem to be loving finding faults in Guy's (or anyone's) music and production. If you think the releases are sounding the same, then thats perfectly fine, but DON'T dare slag him for it. Music and production are personal thing. If you don't get on with a particular style anymore, have a bit of initiative and move on to something you do like. Don't sit there and moan about how tedious things have got.

Formulas work! It's what music is based on. Ok, its easy to get stuck in a rut sometimes and formulas get rinsed, but try writing a live set and then playing it out twice, sometimes three times a weekend, meeting a hectic release schedule for the records and then finding time to engineer for people, who, most of the time rely on YOUR ideas because they've not come to the studio prepared and have no ideas (and apart from a select few, NO TALENT) of their own. Some wannabe DJ's just hire the studio and the engineer to get their names on the records because they think it's the short cut to the big time. These people are leeches, sucking all the creativity out of you. To handle all this is only just managable if you're REALLY on it... and believe me, Guy IS. But he is also human and as everybody SHOULD know, creativity dosen't come from a tap. If you hit a dry patch it can take WEEKS to get back in the vibe of things.

So, why not try and spent the 1000's of £'s it costs to build and maintain a studio and do it yourself. Not to mention the 5 - 10 years it takes to hone your production skills, oh yeah, I forgot about learning to use the equipment in the first place. Then maybe we can all come back in a few years and read what people have to say about YOU!

Fair comments.

dan the acid man
20-05-2004, 09:14 AM
fair comment's indeed by ant, but at the end of the day i think we are entitled to give our view's on the subject even if we dont own a great studio or write music, the main reason why iv'e been posting on this subject is because i love his music so much, let's hope the top shelf and shark releases carry on as they have been

G-whizz
20-05-2004, 09:17 AM
fair comment's indeed by ant, but at the end of the day i think we are entitled to give our view's on the subject even if we dont own a great studio or write music, the main reason why iv'e been posting on this subject is because i love his music so much, let's hope the top shelf and shark releases carry on as they have been

I think one of the main problems with posting up on boards is that it can come across a lot harsher then its intended.... no matter how many smilie faces you put after your post .

Si the Sigh
20-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Agree with you both there Dan & G-Wizz. :clap:

Ant, I don't think this thread has at any point REALLY slagged off Guy. We have all said we liked his productions, but it seems to have become a bit stale lately. I understand the points about work loads, etc;

Paul Zykotik
20-05-2004, 02:38 PM
fair comment's indeed by ant, but at the end of the day i think we are entitled to give our view's on the subject even if we dont own a great studio or write music, the main reason why iv'e been posting on this subject is because i love his music so much

Exactly. How is music ever supposed to progress or change if you don't have criticism? (And, to balance it out, praise) Just because we don't own a studio, that shouldn't mean we can't comment on the output of someone. What spurs people on to do something new and inventive if everyone just goes "yeah that sounds great" to everything they put out, regardless of whether that's their true thoughts or not?

I think if we had all come on here and said "Geezer is shit, who agrees", then anyone would be well within our rights to tell us to shut up and **** off. But from what I can see we were mainly constructive. As Dan says, Guy is an awesome producer and really does have talent. It used to be exciting getting a Geezer record because you didn't know what you were going to hear, and for me that's one of the most attractive things about techno. Now you pick up a RAW record and you know what to expect, you know it's going to be okay but it's not going to blow you away in the way you know he's capable of.

spiralx
20-05-2004, 03:29 PM
I agree with Ant in part, but saying that you can't say you don't like his music unless you could make it yourself is utter elitiest crap. If I go to a restaurant and the chef cooks some fancy meal and it tastes like shit, it tastes like shit whether I could cook it or not. Saying that your opinion is only valid if you're an expert is exactly the sort of thing that ends up with the rubbish you see in the Turner Prize - art for art's sake, pure masturbation.

:evil:

schlongfingers
20-05-2004, 05:59 PM
I agree with Ant in part, but saying that you can't say you don't like his music unless you could make it yourself is utter elitiest crap. If I go to a restaurant and the chef cooks some fancy meal and it tastes like shit, it tastes like shit whether I could cook it or not. Saying that your opinion is only valid if you're an expert is exactly the sort of thing that ends up with the rubbish you see in the Turner Prize - art for art's sake, pure masturbation.

:evil:

I can't see where he said that?

I think he makes a great point about moving on to someone else if you don't like what someone you've previously rated isn't doing it for you - obvious really.

DJMAYA
21-05-2004, 03:45 AM
yea i guess what Ant was saying was Tell the Chef the food sux but not saying the chef sux!! get it???

we are all so passionate about our beats.Aint that the truth!

Guy prob really likes the shit he makes, i dont know, i dont know em.
I think hes a bloody genius. I mean he has crossed so many genres and boundaries....i love the Highwire stuff da best!!!

really, if its not your cup of tea then dont drink it.
cos all its takes is another groundbreaking release and its all on again ha.

does negativity have any place in this world??? i dunno......................

groover'z
22-05-2004, 02:11 AM
I still LOVE guy's productions!
RAWs are similar, except some of them, but he launched many tunes like the top shelf, which is AMAZING!
I love when he does something together with other guys like Chris or Ant (Powertools 19 is AMAZING!!!)

Hey Henry, where's the Temperature Drop? :love:

dirty_bass
22-05-2004, 03:50 AM
Hey give Ant a little slack, he`s sticking up for a mate, and I`d do the same if it was one of my crew.

But I only fell the way I fell about geezer cos he was one of the Guys that got me into techno, and I used to really love the stuff he made. It`s just a shame that his work schedule has hampered his creativity, but also that he has excepted this situation.

The Overfiend
22-05-2004, 04:34 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jonnyspeed
22-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Well I for one do not have any complaints about Ant's DJing or production... love Powertools and lots of the SUF stuff.

I think in Guy's case it's that people care there is no edge to some but not all of his releases. But to be honest I think that's always been the case - some of the old VCF stuff was storming hit or miss, imo.

Still released two of my favourate records of 2003 - I Love Bass and RAW 9 remixes. Loving Top Shelf and lots of his collaborations.

:cool:

jonnyspeed
22-05-2004, 07:44 AM
...get get yer bitch ass back in the kitchen and bake me a new techno pie.

chop chop.

LoOopy
22-05-2004, 08:56 AM
well i agree with Ant 100% , i'm not a dj but know my music and pretty much all the people i hang around with and party with are dj's and a few produce there own shit and i see the work thats put into it and well theres only 24hrs in a day unfortunatly so not just cause some of the arits music is bad that you have to have a prob with him /her if you don't like the music then don't buy it or lisen to it.. lot of people think it's easy to make a track but well 2 of my friends made a few tracks there wicked and well like all the guys at SUF say theres always some thing missin.. or not right for a label but well not ever track made is wicked or has the insperation disierd.. !i still give Guy Props for what he dose and Produces

dirty_bass
22-05-2004, 03:17 PM
well i agree with Ant 100% , i'm not a dj but know my music and pretty much all the people i hang around with and party with are dj's and a few produce there own shit and i see the work thats put into it and well theres only 24hrs in a day unfortunatly so not just cause some of the arits music is bad that you have to have a prob with him /her if you don't like the music then don't buy it or lisen to it.. lot of people think it's easy to make a track but well 2 of my friends made a few tracks there wicked and well like all the guys at SUF say theres always some thing missin.. or not right for a label but well not ever track made is wicked or has the insperation disierd.. !i still give Guy Props for what he dose and Produces

I think the point being made is that not enough thought or effort is going into his productions these days. I`m not dissing the guy, I think it`s a shame.
The ethic behind the RAW label originaly was I believe (frontier, forward thinking techno".
And I have heard he knocks out up to 3 tracks a day :shock:
The argument that you can`t comment if you are not a producer, is just a little be silly really.

The Overfiend
22-05-2004, 03:21 PM
...get get yer bitch ass back in the kitchen and bake me a new techno pie.

chop chop.

Play Nice.

jonnyspeed
22-05-2004, 03:37 PM

LoOopy
23-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I think the point being made is that not enough thought or effort is going into his productions these days. I`m not dissing the guy, I think it`s a shame.
The ethic behind the RAW label originaly was I believe (frontier, forward thinking techno".
And I have heard he knocks out up to 3 tracks a day :shock:
The argument that you can`t comment if you are not a producer, is just a little be silly really.

Yeah the point is being made but sayin you have to be a producer to be able to give your coment is wrong cause well first off music is my passion and i don't produce yet starting to but still learning.. and well i can say that the people i'm around aslways ask for my opinion if not i give them positive or negative feed back.. but to sit there and critisize some one just cause not all there tracks are 'Avin It , i find that harsh and rude actuly , for exsample some morning every one wakes up and not wanting to go to work or have no insperation when at work... cause you got alot on your plate or just having one of those days..

Question : there been any threads on Chris liberator with negative critisium about him cause some or a few of his tracks aint'Avin It??
caus i havent seen any postes up to now.. and if so i wanna see whatswas posted to see if it's anything the same as this thread.!

dan the acid man
23-05-2004, 02:45 PM
i would say most of guy's track's are avin it!, he always has had a real energy in his tune's, we are'nt on about that, we are on about most of them using the same formula. I will give guy credit though for the shark releases and top shelf

networkacid
24-05-2004, 09:49 AM
The more I think about Ant's response, the more I feel I need to say something in response. With all respect to Ant as an artist and producer, I disagree almost entirely with his statement. And to use Ant as example, I buy almost everything Ant does, because it's all innovative, forward thinking music.

Firstly, no one is slagging off Guy as a person, I think that's important to note. I've only met him twice, once professionally (I worked on his first Melbourne tour) and once at a street party. He probably wouldn't know me from a bar of soap. From what I saw he is a great bloke.

Secondly, you're talking about Guy needing to make a living and all that, right. But don't you think it's better for us to TALK about our unhappy experiences with the latest "product" in that case, rather than "voting with our feet" ie. not actually buying the records? Because if it keeps up like this, it will happen, and that would be WORSE for Guy in the long run. IE. If he doesn't sell records, there goes his living, am I wrong? He could be taking this as "consumer feedback." In short, it could be a lot worse, and good things can come of it.

As for the other stuff, well I think it all relates back to that point. We ARE entitled to "slag off" things that aren't up to scratch, and Guy can either ignore it or do something about it, but what is best for Guy in the long run?

The way it sounds to me is that with Guy's busy lifestyle, maybe cutting back on the releases and spending more time on each could be the way to go...

:)

Metadog
26-05-2004, 01:54 AM
when it comes down to it personally geezer is one of my fave three techno producers and i can't see that opinion changing for a long time

:love:

groover'z
26-05-2004, 02:27 AM
when it comes down to it personally geezer is one of my fave three techno producers and i can't see that opinion changing for a long time

:love:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

davethedrummer
26-05-2004, 12:44 PM
o.k.
i'm not going to add any thing more to what i have said
but i feel like i've got to make something clear because i've been told off for posting anything about this topic due to the fact that i produce and dj and people might be more likely to be influenced by what i say.
i'm not being a big head ,this is what i have been told by a very good friend in toronto this weekend and after he had his say i had to agree.

so
i'm not issuing a disclaimer becuase i've read what i've posted before and i still agree with what i've said
but i do want to make one thing clear.
guy is a friend of mine and everything i've said here i've said to him personally.(in fact we have discussed this topic at length)
also perhaps what i've failed to make clear is how much respect i have for guy and what he does and i certainly don't want him to feel like i am gossiping about him behind his back.
this was a discussion about MUSIC not about him personally and want to make it clear that i am not having any kind of personal dig at him.

so if anyone reading this thinks i'm back biting then you are wrong.
however i realise that getting involved in ths discussion for me was pretty dumb and i won't be contributing to anything like this again.
the london producers are my family and my friends, and we survive by always being there for each other.
i will always be there for guy and as far as i know he is aware of that and feels the same about me,
so sorry if i caused any offence to anyone or any confusion and most of all sorry to guy if i offended you.

i think i'll stick to topics where i can remain for the most part unbiased. :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

groover'z
26-05-2004, 12:48 PM
o.k.
i'm not going to add any thing more to what i have said
but i feel like i've got to make something clear because i've been told off for posting anything about this topic due to the fact that i produce and dj and people might be more likely to be influenced by what i say.
i'm not being a big head ,this is what i have been told by a very good friend in toronto this weekend and after he had his say i had to agree.

so
i'm not issuing a disclaimer becuase i've read what i've posted before and i still agree with what i've said
but i do want to make one thing clear.
guy is a friend of mine and everything i've said here i've said to him personally.(in fact we have discussed this topic at length)
also perhaps what i've failed to make clear is how much respect i have for guy and what he does and i certainly don't want him to feel like i am gossiping about him behind his back.
this was a discussion about MUSIC not about him personally and want to make it clear that i am not having any kind of personal dig at him.

so if anyone reading this thinks i'm back biting then you are wrong.
however i realise that getting involved in ths discussion for me was pretty dumb and i won't be contributing to anything like this again.
the london producers are my family and my friends, and we survive by always being there for each other.
i will always be there for guy and as far as i know he is aware of that and feels the same about me,
so sorry if i caused any offence to anyone or any confusion and most of all sorry to guy if i offended you.

i think i'll stick to topics where i can remain for the most part unbiased. :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bring us back the TEMPERATURE DROP!!!!

Si the Sigh
26-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Fair enough Henry.

I still think people are missing the point with this topic. No one is "slagging" Guy personally, and this isn't some sort of "attacking" thread. Everyone has said they like / love his productions, me included. I just started a topic on something I have read countless times on here & other forums, and wanted to hear peoples opinions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. All opinions & feedback, positive or negative is good in my opinion.

I like to be told when I am not performing well at something, or something I have done is not up to my usual standard, and I am sure you guys do to. When I am told something was not too good, it helps me focus, and try to improve. Negative feedback is just as useful as positve feedback. Do you agree?

The Overfiend
26-05-2004, 03:11 PM

With this said I really want to close this topic, On that note.
Certain people in here shouldnt even have anything to say about Guy based on the fact they have no clue about the first thing about production to tell someone to get back to it. It is amazing how quick someone is to tell someone else about their craft. But if you ask that person to do the same you will receive a blank response. I would really love it it we were more accountable for what we say on this forum, and I am so happy that for those people out there that talk shit, that the producers themselves are coming here to defend themselves. So I commend Dave on his post, I'm happy as a pig in shit that Ant came to defend his boy, and I'm puttin a bolt on this one.

278d7e64a374de26f==