PDA

View Full Version : this forum seems to be all about london techno these days

davethedrummer
14-05-2004, 11:45 AM
i've just been back through the old messages
and all i seem to read these days is all about smitten and s.u.f.
etc etc

that's not so bad but can we expand our minds a little more
it's getting a bit claustrophobic for me

FILTERZ
14-05-2004, 11:51 AM
etc etc

good point

daviec
14-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Yep, I noticed as well, and I tend to just skim over those posts, which leaves very little reading :(

Si the Sigh
14-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry! I like the London sound. Its what I started out listening to & its led me to other forms of techno. Plus I like to support the UK based labels. Not for getting the roots & where it started for me. Sorry that not everyones as interested, but like you've said, if you don't wanna hear about it, don't read it.

Numeric
14-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Yeah man...

I'm not into the acid sound these days, but don't mind readin peoples views on what's goin on right now...

The Overfiend
14-05-2004, 12:53 PM
etc etc

Agreed.

Tony
14-05-2004, 01:14 PM
i do spot lots of things about schranz and european stuff too, lars klein etc

Paul Zykotik
14-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I think it's because a lot of the London techno has a bit of character about it, something that makes it stand out a bit more from a lot of other stuff. That can be from something as in depth as the tunes to something silly like the track titles.

Here's something though - a lot of people start reminiscing and waxing lyrical about the good old days when the music of the current time is stagnating. Could that be the case for a few people here? I have to admit a lot of techno isn't grabbing me in the way it once used to, but I wonder if others feel the same way.

TRB
14-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I agree.

I don't hate london techno. But I preffer to talk about others kind of techno.

Cheers.

Rog
14-05-2004, 04:33 PM
lets talk then...

I picked up some very off the wall breaks and double beet german techno.. I'm lovin double beat - I don't actually know if this is a genre - but f*ck me its quality!

Also I really have enjoyed the added "parts" of tracks that use to be dj fx's.. like filters/flangers etc - example being max punishment vol2..

Anybody want to talk?!?! :doh:

ooooh and Dave.. the reason some people talk of acid techno is.. its still class, and they just discovered it!

el_satan666
14-05-2004, 04:41 PM
lets talk then...

I picked up some very off the wall breaks and double beet german techno.. I'm lovin double beat - I don't actually know if this is a genre - but f*ck me its quality!

Also I really have enjoyed the added "parts" of tracks that use to be dj fx's.. like filters/flangers etc - example being max punishment vol2..

Anybody want to talk?!?! :doh:

ooooh and Dave.. the reason some people talk of acid techno is.. its still class, and they just discovered it!

wow thats pretty un-constructive, lose the attitude! we're all friends here! well most people are, i've yet to find some..... :eh:

the_psychologist
14-05-2004, 05:12 PM
i'm new to the forum, but i generally focus on the stuff with a trance structure because i'm not currently playing out, and it's hard to just chuck on straight techno at home and listen to it.

the more looping end of techno has never been my thing, but i love some of the German guys like Kauffelt, Heckmann, and Heil. also really like many of the reborn Phuture Wax tracks.

the first step to gaining interest (for me) is to hear some cracking techno live sets. anyone have some recent sets that are mixed well and have good tunes?

Rog
14-05-2004, 05:16 PM
quote]
wow thats pretty un-constructive, lose the attitude! we're all friends here! well most people are, i've yet to find some..... :eh:[/quote]

dude - what i ment to Dave was - some people have just discovered acid techno and they are lovin it! :clap:

and if some people want to talk about other techno.. lets do so.. :dance:

and i did ;)

I am friendly - I appologise if you took my comments wronly :?:

anx
14-05-2004, 05:21 PM
its all si the sigh's fault!!!

jonnyspeed
14-05-2004, 06:05 PM
I think its because BOA label is now in part of the SUF collective - so you buy it then search for 'blackout audio' on the web and bang you are here? So maybe its just a reflection of that???

Nobody seems to like french hardtek at all (not even at -8) - which is a shame! I posted some technival acid which is a dancefloor killer - I've seen everybody jumping about and smiling at me - not one reply.

German stuff generally falls into schranz or experiental- which I think gets alot of coverage.

Tony
14-05-2004, 06:26 PM
i'm trying to cause bridges between some of the uk hardtek/breakcore artists and the resot of the world. i used to get a lot from toolboax and expressilon and that was all top.

Rog wrote:
lets talk then...

Anybody want to talk?!?!

wow thats pretty un-constructive, lose the attitude! we're all friends here! well most people are, i've yet to find some.....[quote]

i didnt read anything unconstructive at all there.

jonnyspeed
14-05-2004, 06:39 PM
People have got to start threads if they wanna talk about something else. I think that Si is doing wonders to get threads going - if you don't like the topic then talk about one that you do. This ain't aimed at you Henry, just a general comment!

basslinejunkie
14-05-2004, 07:29 PM
People have got to start threads if they wanna talk about something else. I think that Si is doing wonders to get threads going - if you don't like the topic then talk about one that you do. This ain't aimed at you Henry, just a general comment!

yep he is,i find it impossible 2 think of a worthwile topic 2 startup :roll:

gunjack
14-05-2004, 07:53 PM
i have no idea what any of you are on about in this thread. :eh:

Boboagogo
14-05-2004, 08:51 PM
aye, me too..surely if there was something worth talking about ppl would post about it.

Paul Zykotik
14-05-2004, 10:13 PM
I love the French hardtek stuff, it's just a nightmare getting hold of it...any pointers?

Rog
14-05-2004, 10:17 PM
yes i'd also like to here the french stuf, please redirect me

:dance:

I like most "dance related music!" :crackup:

Si the Sigh
17-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Right, I have had all weekend to think about this (as I have not been in front of a computer to type anything).

I love the London techno sound. Old & new. I still love it now as much as I have loved it over the years. I signed up to this board to talk about techno. All forms, from all countrys. I listen to / play / collect all forms of techno, but I still keep coming back to the London / UK stuff every time. I thought this being a techno forum where people are pretty open minded, I would be able to talk about the sounds I love.

So fu*king what if theres more threads / posts about the London & UK techno. Remember Henry thats where you started out! From the early London & UK sound I have searched further a field & discovered different sounds, labels & producers. When I find something I really like, I will post it here. I always have done. The London stuffs floating my boat at the moment, so I will talk about it.

If you don't have anything constructive to say in a thread (weather you like it or not, and remember negative critasism can be positive as long as you explain why you don't like something / something that could be improved or worked on) then DON'T SAY ANYTHING!

I will continue to talk about techno old & new. If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as!

jonnyspeed
17-05-2004, 08:06 AM
I'd agree with the main theme of what you are saying - London techno is great. However, there are lots of other artists and releases that SUF Collective even within tough acid tracks and definately more than just them on the straight-up banging releases that we can talk about - these tend to get much less interest from the rest of the board.

I would love to here about other labels and artists too - but it takes people starting posts. 5/5 for Si for your efforts...

word-up to Henry for introducing me to Kiddaz, Crime for getting me hard into the clanky, crunchy wonky stuff and whoever started me off on tough Chicago ghettotech.

:clap:

Si the Sigh
17-05-2004, 08:10 AM
word-up to Henry for introducing me to Kiddaz

I'll 2nd that. Word up! :clap:

MARKEG
17-05-2004, 05:55 PM
i thought exactly the same as you henry last week.

i do love acid techno but blackout isnt really an acid techno label. i mean there's nothing wrong with acid techno but it would be nice to focus on the other hard stuff a bit more i reckon.

the_psychologist
17-05-2004, 06:09 PM
i think it's easy for DJs who are playing out to come here and talk about all the latest techno releases, but most people are more prone to discussion re: what they listen to at home. i generally listen to music at home that has a trance structure, like the London techno stuff. i can keep up with the small group of London labels, but there is far too much techno in general for me to weed through. if i got heaps of tunes for free, then it would be much easier to come here and trumpet the latest killers.

massplanck
17-05-2004, 06:31 PM
if i got heaps of tunes for free, then it would be much easier to come here and trumpet the latest killers.

I think thats the problem.

People want to be the first to trumpet about killers when there are'nt enough killers to trombone about in the the first place.

Anyway the second hand bins tell me more about techno these days then the latest latest latest tune.

Paul Nisbet
17-05-2004, 06:45 PM
i do spot lots of things about schranz and european stuff too, lars klein etc

Schranz is were its at for me.......

Si the Sigh
18-05-2004, 07:36 AM
i thought exactly the same as you henry last week.

i do love acid techno but blackout isnt really an acid techno label. i mean there's nothing wrong with acid techno but it would be nice to focus on the other hard stuff a bit more i reckon.

Then start posting threads about other forms of techno!

Paul Zykotik
18-05-2004, 09:51 AM
The thing is, as I said before, acid techno releases tend to have a bit of character about them - e.g. sick acid lines, funny little samples, and a general doesn't take itself too seriously attitude. That makes it easy to discuss, which is why the SUF and Smitten threads were popular.

With a lot of other techno there's only so many times you can say "good production" "nice loop" "percussion on this one is wicked", and it's even harder to make a conversation out of it. Maybe I'm just cynical because I'm a bit disillusioned with that kind of techno atm.

Si the Sigh
18-05-2004, 10:00 AM
The thing is, as I said before, acid techno releases tend to have a bit of character about them - e.g. sick acid lines, funny little samples, and a general doesn't take itself too seriously attitude. That makes it easy to discuss, which is why the SUF and Smitten threads were popular.

With a lot of other techno there's only so many times you can say "good production" "nice loop" "percussion on this one is wicked", and it's even harder to make a conversation out of it. Maybe I'm just cynical because I'm a bit disillusioned with that kind of techno atm.

Good points.

Sunil
18-05-2004, 02:15 PM

yeah valid points alright, but in fairness what do the acid techno fans ever say about the stuff they're into here? "Banging, great bassline, cool sample, a bit like the Geezer's last one" etc.? Anyway 9 times out of 10 no-one wants to go into too much detail about a record, they just wanna see who else likes it too so I guess the same phrases or descriptions will pop up a lot as they are short and easy to throw in. This is making me wonder again whether that idea of a reviews sections on the board would be a good thing to introduce?

Si the Sigh
18-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Thats a good idea mate.

Paul Zykotik
18-05-2004, 02:39 PM
yeah valid points alright, but in fairness what do the acid techno fans ever say about the stuff they're into here? "Banging, great bassline, cool sample, a bit like the Geezer's last one" etc.?

*shrug* I know, but it seems to generate more discussion than any similar threads on other kinds of techno.

A reviews section sounds good to me, though whether or not it'd reduce traffic in this forum to a near standstill is another matter.

I guess part of it might be to do with how spread out everyone is. I use two other forums (ush for hardcore, and harderfaster for hard dance - don't shoot me, I just like a lot of dance music) and there's a real sense of community on both, mainly because these people see each other every few weeks, if not week in week out. As such they grow to know more about each other and conversations change as a result. They still focus around the music, but it's all about what nights you've been to, what's coming up etc. While everyone on this forum loves techno, I think there's only so many times you can say "techno's great" before conversation begins to stagnate.

278d7e64a374de26f==