PDA

View Full Version : carl cox

MangaFish
15-05-2004, 03:09 AM
by far my favourite DJ (and i'm not usually one to pick out favourites)

sometimes his beatmatching is a little sloppy mind, but how many other DJs do you know play 6 hour sets regularly on 6 1210s and 2 CD decks :clap:

plus i sware this guy is psykic! the way how he reads the crowd is truely amazing!!!

Capone
15-05-2004, 03:20 AM
I have great respect for the guy, witnessed some gret sets by him, but IMO at least, his best days are behind him.....was at his peak from about '95 to '97/98.....gone a bit downhill since I reckon. Still, he was a legend in his day. :clap: :clap: :clap:

schlongfingers
15-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Funny I just got into a discussion about Carl Cox on Squatjuice.

He's lost it a bit these days I'm afraid to say, used to play right across the techno and house spectrum. these days it's pretty much entirely club house music

His tracklist for May

1. Junior Jack ˆ Stupidisco(Hott 22 Mix) ˆ Defected Rec‚
2. Cajmere feat Walter Phillips ˆ Cajual Rec
3. Smithmonger ˆ Get it on ˆ Oblong Rec
4. Deep Dish ˆ FlashDance ˆ Yoshitoshi ˆ Rec
5. Michael Forzza ˆ Exposure ˆ Alphabet City Rec
6. DJ Preach ^ Return to the source ^ Intec rec
7. Johnny Vicious ˆ I need You ˆ CDR
8. Ghost ˆ Hey you (remixes) ˆ Alphabet City Rec
9. DJ Hansz ˆ jingo ˆ White label
10. Carl Cox feat Hannah Robinson (Valentino Kanyzani Mix) ˆ 23 Century Rec

That's Seb Fontaines playlist as well.

Not being nasty for no reason I like this sort of music to be honest, but from a forefather of UK Techno this seems a very narrowminded selection.

eyes without a face
15-05-2004, 12:14 PM
the thing with Coxy is that the records he plays really does depend on where he is playing! He is one of those few lucky djs who gets booked and is actually able to play right across the board. Ive heard Cox play 100% pure house sets, and also 100% techno sets. Ive also seen him play sets that contain everything inbetween those 2 genres!!!!

he really is one of the daddys, his mixing is absolutley superb and he gets nuff respect off me!

dan the acid man
15-05-2004, 12:22 PM
you've got to love the big man, he's an excellent dj

Scrawny
15-05-2004, 01:05 PM
To be honest like many other big djs who are still milking the last out of their name, Carl Cox is well past his sell by date.

Capone
17-05-2004, 01:25 AM
True enough, but in his day.......... :rambo: :rambo: ;) ;) ;) :!: :!:

dirty_bass
17-05-2004, 01:40 AM
I`m kinda stuck on an opinion of the guy.
He`s done a lot for pushing techno to the masses, and therefore has done a lot for the music.

But also, in some of what he plays, he has done a lot to hold back the progression of the sound of techno, and now a lot of mainstream clubbers think that techno is this housey stuff.

So I dunno.

He certainly knows how to read a crowd though. No doubt about it.

And he`s a nice chap.

Paul Zykotik
17-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Course it might just be that he's become bored with techno and prefers house these days, so that's what he plays. He did the same when he moved on from hardcore in 94. Fair play to him I say, to my mind he's never played music he didn't like just for the sake of popularity, and he seems to have far less of an attitude than a lot of the other dj's with similar status.

scienceofuse
17-05-2004, 11:32 AM
[quote="dirty_bass"]
He certainly knows how to read a crowd though. No doubt about it.

quote]

That is a quality too many techno DJs lack.

Frank Dogshit
17-05-2004, 05:06 PM
superb dj,im not always into what hes doing at times and his productions over the last few years have been pretty drab but when coxys knocking out techno he can knock it with the best of them.

a real entertainer and a good dj to match.

MangaFish
17-05-2004, 09:33 PM
i've only ever heard him play one housey set in all the times i've seen him.

download his set from 'carl cox & friends' (5th april 04). thats deffo not housey

Fake DJ
18-05-2004, 01:23 PM
IMHO Coxy is da maaaaaaan!

which other DJ has his own night with an inflatable giant head of his hanging above the dancefloor

ive only had the pleasure of seeing him once, at sankeys (where he played quite tech-housey but this was due to it being at tribal sessions)

ive got numerous sets of his where he has played house and techno

imo you will always find the best djs tend to sit between genres, because it is here that you find the more interesting blend of styles :)

djkilo
18-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Carl Cox Is A Legend And A SuperStar Nuff Said! He plays what he wants where he wants and i've yet to hear anyone say they seen carl cox last night and he sucked!
Carl Cox This Clap Goes To You! :clap:

Rhys
19-05-2004, 06:39 PM
He deserves a kick in the nuts for that Pontape remix piece of shit.

gunjack
19-05-2004, 07:00 PM
:lol:

djkilo
19-05-2004, 07:38 PM
carl cox as a producer is another story hehehe

tekku7181
19-05-2004, 08:20 PM
respect for what he's done in the past

but def not my style of tekno now or even a few years ago,,,

the last time i heard him was at twilo and he played that zombie nation track w/the space invader sleeve TWICE!!

luckily trevor rcokliffe followed him that nite w/the real stuff :rambo:

Fake DJ
19-05-2004, 10:22 PM

the first time i hard that was in sankeys wen i heard him drop it, it did blow the roof off and it sounded mint as ****!!!!! once it got released and was obtainable on the net and every1 played it so u heard it more and more u realised it aint as good as the original, one of those bootlegs that sounds mint the first time but a second or third and the honeymoon is over...

MangaFish
19-05-2004, 11:56 PM

like it or dont, its a crowd pleaser

Rhys
20-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Basically all he did is take a good but extremely played out techno track (on intec, a record label he owns meaning more $$$ for him) and put a cheesy vocal from a commercial house song basically to appeal to the masses.

It's one of the shittest things i've heard for a while and it's totally milking the Renato Cohen track for more money.

The Overfiend
20-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Cox can spin.
Make a track? Get real.

djkilo
20-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Exactly! :lol: :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==