Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Default variety-does it work??

does playing a variety of diffrent styles of techno in your set work in a club enviroment?? as ive got a much faster internet connection now,ive been able 2 download loads of sets/live pa's from the likes of gunjack,pounding grooves,ian lehman ect ect ect,and the 1 thing thats strikes me about them is the similarity of the music they play weather it be hard,dark,minimal ect,each tune is very similar 2 the last 1.now i always thought 2 myself i like more than 1 type of techno,so why limit myself by just playing 1?? but having listend 2 many diffrent sets with every tune very similar 2 the last and being quite frankly gobsmacked at the quality of them,im not 2 sure if playing a variety in your set would work as well.id be very intrested on peoples stance on this as most of you are pro dj's unlike myself.

BOA Lifetime Member

:roll:

Junior Freak

Default Re: variety-does it work??

Quote Originally Posted by basslinejunkie
    does playing a variety of diffrent styles of techno in your set work in a club enviroment?? as ive got a much faster internet connection now,ive been able 2 download loads of sets/live pa's from the likes of gunjack,pounding grooves,ian lehman ect ect ect,and the 1 thing thats strikes me about them is the similarity of the music they play weather it be hard,dark,minimal ect,each tune is very similar 2 the last 1.now i always thought 2 myself i like more than 1 type of techno,so why limit myself by just playing 1?? but having listend 2 many diffrent sets with every tune very similar 2 the last and being quite frankly gobsmacked at the quality of them,im not 2 sure if playing a variety in your set would work as well.id be very intrested on peoples stance on this as most of you are pro dj's unlike myself.
    My mixes have ALOT of variety, it fluxuates(sp?), cause I hate when a set sounds the same with each record. So in my case it works well, but then again, that's just me and I'm sure the next person will most likely disagree with me
    P E A C E A C I D M A Y H E M

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBastard
    Quote Originally Posted by basslinejunkie
    My mixes have ALOT of variety, it fluxuates(sp?), cause I hate when a set sounds the same with each record. So in my case it works well, but then again, that's just me and I'm sure the next person will most likely disagree with me
    thats exactly what i do,but im only a bedroom dj so i was wondering if it would work in a club enviroment.u a pro dj or just bedroom like me??

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

it's a weird one this, i love load's of different music at home, but when im in a club i usually want the dj to play tune's that im expecting him to play. Iv'e been thinking about why im like this, and to be honest i cant find an explanation why, it's strange.

I think, if your wanting to try playing different style's then it's probably easier to do this right from the start of your club/ party playing carreer and then people will know what to expect
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

Junior Freak

thats exactly what i do,but im only a bedroom dj so i was wondering if it would work in a club enviroment.u a pro dj or just bedroom like me??

Ugh, the club environment is so fickle I gave up on it. I mainly play at outdoor events, whenever my friends get their shit together and we move our soundsystem outside. So when I play out to a crowd like that, the variety gets a really good crowd reaction.

But to answer your question about spinning in a club, do it just to stand out and most people really enjoy that groovy bassline that plops out from the banging hard/tribal beats you'd be playing most of the night.

Supreme Freak

The best DJ's i've heard play a mixture of all types of music, I've heard people play sets with music from every decade since the 50's in a techno set and it's beeen superb. To be honest, these days if I hear a pure techno set I long for a bit of variation - not because I think techno can't cover all the angles, but because I feel hearing the unexpected mixed well in is the icing on the cake.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man
    it's a weird one this, i love load's of different music at home, but when im in a club i usually want the dj to play tune's that im expecting him to play. Iv'e been thinking about why im like this, and to be honest i cant find an explanation why, it's strange.

I think, if your wanting to try playing different style's then it's probably easier to do this right from the start of your club/ party playing carreer and then people will know what to expect
    dont get me wrong i dont feel im anywhere near the standard requierd 2 play out yet.tis a bit of a difficult question 2 answer really isnt it o well i tryed :roll: :lol: hahaha

Ultimate Freak

not always knowing what a crowd wants i make sure i place a variety of different styles of techno in my bag at all times....well i do only play techno and a few breaks, but you can still be very diverse with just techno...

Administrator

i dunno this is crazy. when i dj i know i have to play the same style or at least within a few styles that blend. but when i'm at home or during the week, i listen to everything and anything. from new classical to drum n bass to punk.

so even though i love hearing pure techno sets for hours and hours in clubs perhaps you've got a very good point. the club scene is NOT the place to experiment. the only way you can do this is at home.

perhaps this needs to be the next stage in the club evolution?

but how can this happen when it's so difficult to experiment in them??

very interesting indeed

Junior Freak

its all about reading your crowd. if you think they can handle a twist, then DO IT!

works great for me

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by djvartan
    its all about reading your crowd. if you think they can handle a twist, then DO IT!

works great for me
    Reading the crowd is good, but I also like to manipulate the crowd as well... Kinda force them to dance even though they're tired and then get more energy during the more mellow tunes, either way it's all good

Junior Freak

i dont care who you are. some crowds you cant move. if they wanna hear lovey dovey trance your not gonna move them. where im from TECHNO is very rare. 98% of the people in New England dont even know what real TECHNO is.........
    sad very sad

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by djvartan
    i dont care who you are. some crowds you cant move. if they wanna hear lovey dovey trance your not gonna move them. where im from TECHNO is very rare. 98% of the people in New England dont even know what real TECHNO is.........
    sad very sad
    True that some people in the crowd could care less about your set, but I could care less about them.... **** 'em :dontevengothere:

Junior Freak

same here........
    fvck them

Junior Freak

variety does work. it's all about the delivery of the track.

Junior Freak

yah nothing like Pizza Hut running in with your new 12"
    :clap:

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by sash
    variety does work. it's all about the delivery of the track.
    You've made a good point there, as long as you make the mix sound good, and not all choppy and shitty sounding, it should go over fairly well.

the big pork pie

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    the club scene is NOT the place to experiment. the only way you can do this is at home.

Right, everyone round to Marks house this weekend then! ;) :lol:

Supreme Freak

[quote="Si the Sigh"]
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    the club scene is NOT the place to experiment. the only way you can do this is at home.

This already happens in a lot of places - I think experimentation in a club environment is excellent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast