Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    System Janitor

Everyone has a very small group of people and work they've heard that pushed them into the techno arena, and I thought it would be nice to have a run through and see what turned people to techno in the first place, and what they heard to interest them at the begining of when they changed from music listeners, to music creators.

Personally the 2 albums that moved me the most were Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe, and 808 State - newbuild

I was 15 at the time I heard both of them, and they dramatically influenced not only my appreciation, but my desire to start creating music. It moved me for good off the "Top 40" genre of music, and into what was maybe not popular, but very deep none the less.

Anyone else?

Mike

Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/23/02 1144 pm
    You go in hard, and you go in fast.

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

Carl Cox fact 1 was the first techno cd i bought, and a Jeff Mills tape when I was about 14.
    lol the trance has gone

BOA Lifetime Member

Kraftwerk were the biggest influence on me

but probably wandering into Voodoo when id just turned 16 and seeing Billy Nasty and James Ruskin for the first time

woweeeeeeeeee
    upcoming releases : Templ8r 1, Advanced 025, Humanoid 7, Emetic 013 - www.djscottgray.co.uk

BOA Newbie

this is kind of ironic for me but, i thought tekno was the most boring music ever when i started out. it took me years to fully comprehend the simplicity/complexity of pure tekno. maybe the stuff i like now was not around then, or i just came in the scene at a bad time, but i saw mark play trance in minnesota for about 100 kids,

and he actually played tekno for the first hour. that was the first time i had ever enjoyed tekno. then at further a couple of years back, he had dropped a record in the mud that i had picked up, and it was patrik skoog's native 01. the combination of watching mark play the most insane set i had ever heard in the craziest storm, and going home and hearing this record that i had gotten all the mud out of the grooves just to play, honestly changed my entire outlook on electronic music altogether. ever since i have been so incredibley into tekno, that i ended up starting several labels and have been really lucky to have worked with both of the people that first made me love this music so much. so thanks to mark n chrissi first and foremost, and to p. skoog / headroom and the rest of the international tekno community. and mark/ chrissi, lowrider suites vol.3 is still coming out, but i might put it out on my new label instead, it will sell a more copies if i do. lookout for boss 001, it will be out before the first of the year and it features: p. skoog vs the web of deception. if any one wants to hear an advance copy, i will find some way to post it (our website is under construction).

BOA Lifetime Member

hard 2 tell really ... I was really early into more technologic sounding tracks (around 8 years old.. I'm know 2 , also loved some funk and soul...

I don't really know what triggered it but stuff like Krafw., break dancin' , rap, herbie han., paul Hardcastle, some disco.. MARRS, bomb the bass, even more rock stuff like pink floyd,.. It's hard 2 tell but I was always hooked by more electronic stuff (hated electric guitars)...

I just loved the bsides of maxi-singles...

Z

Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

BOA Newbie

Coming from Plymouth UK Techno is a non-existent force, which is now but a few years ago in the early to mid nineties we had one of the fastest growing techno movements in the south west of England.

The nightclub was the Warehouse and the fort-nightly event was called Revelation. I had never really been into techno in a big way more the harder side of hardcore (what is that you may ask) to be honest I don’t really know, it was a jungle techno acid vibe, the end of the old school breaks era, I think. Anyway I think it was February of 1993 when the Revelation events started they brought a lot of new Dj’s to Plymouth like Dave Angel, DJ Edge. Colin Dale, Carl Cox, Frank De Wulf and Colin Favor to name a few. The events were jam packed to capacity with punters loving the techno vibe…It was awesome, some of the best nights I have ever had in a night club, the only thing that comes nearly as close is the Glastonbury dance tent, preferably with Dave Clarke waving his wand… The only sad thing now is that the Warehouse has now changed into a Ritzy like drinking hole for young kids and Techno, well nobody knows about Techno in Plymouth anymore, its all euro trance and hardhouse. I now have to take a 3-hour drive to London to hear any good music, sorry Techno!!!!!

But hopefully Mark EG will grace Plymouth with a Techno set this Sat 19th Oct????

BOA Newbie

had gotten my hands on a robert hood minimal mix. that and and of course mills' liquid room set. a friend played some basic channel records for me and i was sold.

best,

CLoaX
    "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."

BOA Lifetime Member
    Birkenhead, shithole but it's my shithole.

Seeing chris liberator when I was 14/15 made me get more into techno, followed the acid scene for a bit then moved more into minimal techno.

lol the trance has gone

Administrator

For me it was one album that made techno what it is - 'The Techno Sound OF Detroit' on 10 Records. Phew, this was really a definiting moment.

BOA Lifetime Member

Funny thing... I was never much into this sort of techn... I was more into the new wave, early european stuff, the early works of what was 2 become labels like R&S, Beatbox and stuff like that!!

I never liked string of life when it came out...

I know I'll get stonned over here!!

sorry I'll shut up now!!

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Administrator

It's funny how alot of people I meet were never into the Detroit stuff. I think Strings OF Life was one of the best selling records but it really wasn't for me, a truly typical Detroit Techno record at the time (apart from the districtive May sounding hi-hats). I was more into the Blake Baxter/Kevin Saunderson/Juan Atkins side. Mig - have you ever heard Model 500's 'No UFO's?' or 'Electronic' or 'Interference'?

I reckon Detroit techno was much more about spacey sounds and mechanical hi-hats if that meant melodies, then fine. I remember hearing the first R+S/New Beat/Belgian Techno stuff and thinking wow, this is so hard and so soulless. But then just a few records later and I was hooked. What really then got me excited what when Detroit then became influenced by Europe and we started to see the likes of UR and Mills. That was an excellent period for me. But then I think Detroit eventually went back to its roots and became too soft for me to be able to play out in clubs.

I think that's why most people who've got into techno after 88 have never really been passionate about the Detroit side. What do you reckon.

BOA Lifetime Member

Yep definatly 2 spacy... Europe was more into weird sound exploration and rhythm... more down 2 shaking a leg or down right mad... Detroid was very Inteletual/ poshy melodic atmosferical stuff!!

But Unlike U, I always though early European stuff was more cutting and funky!

Z

Junior Freak

waveform transmissions vol1

drexciya

model 500

ur

reese

Administrator

Mig L - you thought R+S/Belgian stuff was more funky that Detroit techno????!!!!! OK,we agree to disagree.. but yes i do believe that early hoover stuff made me wiggle my ass... lol

hey - you remember D-Shake... i use to LOVE his production soooooooooooooooooo much....

Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/23/02 1123 pm

Administrator

ps nice influences mr aggy...
    Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/23/02 1109 pm

BOA Lifetime Member

It's really hard 2 make such a definate statement but I would get down with more european stuff.. as most of the det. was 2 my view a lot more spacy and atmospheric... But then in Portugal it was very very hard 2 find any electronic so there is a lot of "holes" in my music culture... I started listening very carefully 2 music by the age of 7, @ 8 I knew I wanted 2 b a dj ... I was the only crazy kid liking this sort of stuff while every1 around me was only into rock/ pop/ punkish stuff... at this time electronic music was as they called "music 4 black guys, homos or junkies.."... I guess they forget ..."also 4 a crazy kid.." lol :P

Z

Ultimate Freak

one track. one winter day. Glenn Wilson - Terminate -prruk032 nuff said.

i liked techno prior to this.. this track drove me to where i am today.
    piss and the vultures will pay... coming soon