Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    Supreme Freak

Default monitor placement

im currently relocating my studio after a rather brick-shitting, "getting broken into" type siduation...

if possible could anyone give me an idea of the best place to put my monitors?

here's the room:

its approx. 2.5 m high

many thanks
    the alarm clock\'s going off. but you\'re not waking up. this isn\'t happening.

Junior Freak

I would put' em against the solid wall and get some thick drapes from the cielling down (one on each side of the speakears) ... that should even out spaces and dry out a little bit of crazy verbs/ echos!!

Z

Supreme Freak

many thanks dude
    the alarm clock\'s going off. but you\'re not waking up. this isn\'t happening.

Junior Freak

thank me l8er if it workz better lol!

Z

Junior Freak

If your using near field monitors (or any speakers for that matter) - try and keep them away from the walls and especially the corners of the room.

The reason is this: You get an effect called 'bass response' I think the technical term is. Basically due to the low frequencies being quite long wavelengths the reflections from the walls will be in quite similar phase and reinforce the bass part of your signal which could end up making you reduce the bass or over emphasise other components in the mix.

Hope this helps

Junior Freak

Coincidentally...

given the dimensions of your room, at 1 bar (normal atmospheric) pressure and 20 degrees C. Given the speed of sound under these conditions is 343.1 meters per second and assuming the room was perfectly rectangular, without objects within it, using:

wavelength = speed of sound / frequency

The prime resonances you could expect in the room (from standing waves) will be at:-

wavelength = c / f, rearranged: c / wavelength = f

343.1 / 4 = 85.775 Hz
    343.1 / 3 = 114.367 Hz
    343.1 / 2.5 = 137.3 Hz

Also at multiples of these frequencies (harmonics).

Enough of the science tip, guess it's time I went to lie down in a quiet, dark, padded room...
    202, 606, Alpha Juno, SIDstation, Freebass hed.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidMutant
    Coincidentally...

given the dimensions of your room, at 1 bar (normal atmospheric) pressure and 20 degrees C. Given the speed of sound under these conditions is 343.1 meters per second and assuming the room was perfectly rectangular, without objects within it, using:

wavelength = speed of sound / frequency

The prime resonances you could expect in the room (from standing waves) will be at:-

wavelength = c / f, rearranged: c / wavelength = f

343.1 / 4 = 85.775 Hz
    343.1 / 3 = 114.367 Hz
    343.1 / 2.5 = 137.3 Hz

Also at multiples of these frequencies (harmonics).

Enough of the science tip, guess it's time I went to lie down in a quiet, dark, padded room...
    blumin ek i just put my speekers where i could find space

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Quote Originally Posted by MangaFish

blumin ek i just put my speekers where i could find space
    hahahaha :lol: :lol:
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Newbie

Here's a question, does anyone know where you can get some good quality stands for nearfield monitors, for sitting on a desk? Been a pain in the arse trying to find some that people recommend, and dont raise the monitor's so high off the desk i'd have to stand up to mix!

Supreme Freak

breeze blocks will save you a hundred quids worth of monitor stands and give you somewhere to put your coffee too.

you can either put the monitors away from the wall or very close to it, if you have 'em a bit away from a wall you risk doing a bit of extra comb filtering at the bottom end. if you have 'em close you'll have to roll a bit off the bottom to get a flat response mind.

drapes are cool, you can space them a few inches from the wall you'll get better absorbancy.

check a book, "the master handbook of acoustics" if you are bored one day...

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Ze Mig L
    I would put' em against the solid wall and get some thick drapes from the cielling down (one on each side of the speakears) ... that should even out spaces and dry out a little bit of crazy verbs/ echos!!

Z
    Hi , Z . I remember seeing a picture of your studio on the forum before and I saw the white drapes you had which looked quite thick (if I'm not mistaken)...? but I was actually thinking of making or getting the misses ;) to make such drapes to cover my windows and walls with and was wondering if I put loads of cotton inside the drapes (Like a quilt) do you think it would help absorb some standing waves and sound leekage ?

Regards, Mugen.

Supreme Freak

If you have some aucoustics problems, try to do the following:

- Hang some thick curtains around your working place.

- Hang them in a irregular way, and like this: /"\../"\../"\ (in a half circal vorm). Do not work them off to the corners.

- Hang the curtains in a A-symmetrical way. Left close to the wall, right far from the wall. Say "yes" to chaos.

- If you have high walls, your lucky. Perfect for good accoustics.

- It's alowed to place all kinds of hard materials behind you. With a lot of irregular corners and so.. Like a half full bookrack.

- If you have some money left, it's nice to place some basstraps in both corners behind the curtains.
    OUT NOW:
    - Orlando Voorn & Juan Atkins "Game One (Ritzi Lee remix)" on Nightvision.
    - Cybernetics EP on Labrynth (Beatport release)

OUT SOON:
    - Black Noiz on Labrynth (vinyl release)