Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Freak

Default DJs over doing it?

what do you guys think of DJs who lean towards the turntable-ism end of techno.

personally i like to look upon and record as a protention DJ tool. but at the end of the day i know that if the track is dull, then no amount of scratching/chopping/FX/etc will make that track sound interesting.

i'm personally find it very difficalt to dance to this kind of set, but a few trance mates of mine i've been trying to drag along to techno gigs have heard DJs like Dave Clarke when he has been on his chopping mission and loved it. (which puzzeled me some what as this kinda of techno is the furthest from trance techno could get)

anyway, i've rambled on long enough.

whats your thoughts on DJs that dont play the records, but play with them.

Ultimate Freak

There's a time and a place for everything.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Zahn
    indeed...

Junior Freak

i love it when dj's really push themselves and go for those "i can't believe he just pulled that trick off infront of this huuuge crowd" moves but not all the time though. Dustin hit the nail on the head really.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dustin
    what is time?

"we can not see it, feel it or hear it,
    yet it holds us in a relentless grip."

Junior Freak

depends if you're playing song based techno or loop techno, one can hold itself and the other needs to be played wif.
    Viva La Funky Shitttt!!!!

djmaya@xtra.co.nz

Ultimate Freak

years ago in detroit i saw claude young do a set tricking it out more than i've ever seen him before. just really let loose. it ended up getting to the point where people sort of stopped dancing as it was getting really out of control. granted--it was one of the most technically skilled sets i've ever seen (haven't seen another techno dj come close to that night), but, at the same time, it's dance music at a dance event--and if people can't dance to your music...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by detfella
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin
    what is time?

"we can not see it, feel it or hear it,
    yet it holds us in a relentless grip."
    haha i liked that. is that a mills quote?

Junior Freak

i get extremely nervous when someone like dave clarke plays it's 180 degrees devided from what i like about techno. It is very clever and some people love it i hate it.

Ultimate Freak

Love it!!!

But I loved Hip-Hop before I got into techno!

Love hearing the turnatbales used as instruments - but like all things it can be over done - I like it when it adds to the over all sound rather than just trick, trick, tricks, then music.

It's like scratching, I like a bit of that on maybe one track in a one hour set, but have heard some DJs ( ) and all their set consists of is scratch, scratch, scrrrrr . . scrrrrr , scratch, scratch scratch, with the music comes a poor second!

When I go out to boogie I want to hear something I know I wont hear elsewhere.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by gary_human
    Love it!!!

But I loved Hip-Hop before I got into techno!

Love hearing the turnatbales used as instruments - but like all things it can be over done - I like it when it adds to the over all sound rather than just trick, trick, tricks, then music.

It's like scratching, I like a bit of that on maybe one track in a one hour set, but have heard some DJs ( ) and all their set consists of is scratch, scratch, scrrrrr . . scrrrrr , scratch, scratch scratch, with the music comes a poor second!

When I go out to boogie I want to hear something I know I wont hear elsewhere.
    fuk me i thought i had wrote that.

i gotta say i luv seeing trurntables used in a freaky way...ya gotta IMO...have the music flowing for a few mins , then wammbammfankyoupamm some headfuk trickery....

its all about the balance.....

that the style i try to play.... hiphop influenced mixing.

BOA Lifetime Member

i agree also,but your mixing technique/skills are what separate you from everybody else,so if youve got it flaunt it i say :)

Ultimate Freak

a good dj knows when to put in tricks and when to let the track play

weather it be beat juggling or fader cuts, you have to do it with the right tracks at the right time. usually when you have 2 tracks mixing that are rather loopy and not progressing, or throw in a trick like a bar right before a breakdown to mix out or soemthing

but like i said, a good dj just knows when to do the trick and when to leave it alone. some guys do it every friggen mix and it can get on my nerves but then again i do that sometimes when im playing to a crowd of 10 or 20 just to be a showoff...

Ultimate Freak

a good dj knows when to put in tricks and when to let the track play

weather it be beat juggling or fader cuts, you have to do it with the right tracks at the right time. usually when you have 2 tracks mixing that are rather loopy and not progressing, or throw in a trick like a bar right before a breakdown to mix out or soemthing

but like i said, a good dj just knows when to do the trick and when to leave it alone. some guys do it every friggen mix and it can get on my nerves but then again i do that sometimes when im playing to a crowd of 10 or 20 just to be a showoff...

Ultimate Freak

i think my biggest gripe is that a whole set of this stuff just sounds incredably samey. i like my music to progress, but its a bit difficault to progress scratching. its the kind of set that looks like the DJ is having more fun than the crowd trying to dance to it

another irritation is over use of FX units. sure the flange filter sounds great, but not every 10 seconds please

Ultimate Freak

that all said, i'd give my left arm to have the kind of tallent it takes to beable to mix like that

Junior Freak

tricks that actually lead to something r cool.

Junior Freak

A good soup needs some salt, but too much of it can ruin your soup. ;)

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by basslinejunkie
    i agree also,but your mixing technique/skills are what separate you from everybody else,so if youve got it flaunt it i say :)
    I think your track selection should be what seperates you from everyone else, that's the most important thing after all.

BOA Newbie

...but there's nothing like seeing a dj who's got some skillz (as long as they play good records).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast