Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BOA Newbie

I normally start off with a tune with some kind of intro, with crazy nosie's or somebody saying something weird. But yeah I always try to leave on a good bit of the other person's last track. You dont have to be a "Superstar" to start the way you wish, after all its your set. I think its really cool when a DJ use's some maddness to start their set off and then the kick hits you.

Supreme Freak
    Around the back of the third moon off Tyrisia

My mate Dave was always one for switchin the turntable off and startin afresh, and I had no problems with that, as the tunes I used to leave him weren't quite his style, even though we usually both played at the same night. I, however, used to pick a tune I knew was gonna fit in with Dave's stuff, and just carried on the mix when playin after him, as I'm a great believer in keepin the flow. The only time I've ever started afresh is when playin after a trance dj, hard fast trance at that, and I wanted to really slow it down, so faded out and stuck a CLR locked groove on.

Nothin wrong with either way, as long as the night goes well, everyone leaves happy etc, I don't necessarily think it's an ego thing at all.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Logan.
    You dont have to be a "Superstar" to start the way you wish, after all its your set. I think its really cool when a DJ use's some maddness to start their set off and then the kick hits you.
    Definitely.

I guess the original post was also refers to guys who kind of have everything mapped out before they get there, which doesn't take into consideration the vibe of the night or how the crowd has been reacting. Lots of nights come a cropper with people that do this, often DJs work against one another just so they can stand out when the reality is that they could both stand out and add to the flow of music, by doing their homework and trying to tune into and appreciate what the guy was doing before them, and thus taking the night on a smooth ride musically.

Junior Freak

I usually turn off the power and let the previous DJs track sloooooooow dowwwwwn, then I take over. Depending on if I know/like the previous DJ, I'll let him/her get a round of applause ;) Very rarely would I mix out of somebody else into my set.

A spooky synth intro is so "Liquid Room" isn't it? I do that all the time. Something else that Mills invented.

Supreme Freak

yep i like to let the last one roll out, and let the person tak ethe credit they've usually deserved :clap: :clap: :clap:

Junior Freak

i usually mix into my set...... but if the track sucks horse shit, then I just cut it off and start with an intro.
    ciao

Junior Freak

If you think you can mix into the dj's last record then you should try... of course this won't be possible with some genre's but if you can keep the flow going you should...

Junior Freak

Default eh ;O)

Always leave to finish a record of dj before..and waiting aplause for him..then im starting my set...i think that you have to leave people to get a breath in the end of the set, you can see their emotions and opinions about it!

Other, someone written before up there...why some unknow people shut down the turntables, and why dont they mix it to other DJ? if the party is "crap" with a realy small number of people???

Read ya!
    Carl ;)
    info:www.carlmax.com :-: 4 funwww.myspace.com/carl_max
    PRESTIGE RECORDINGS

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Rog
    yep i like to let the last one roll out, and let the person tak ethe credit they've usually deserved :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    info:www.carlmax.com :-: 4 funwww.myspace.com/carl_max
    PRESTIGE RECORDINGS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12