Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default Master Techniques.

OK, so what do you guys do to get proper mastered tracks? I myself use IK Multimedia's T-Racks suit. Just curious if any of you have any tricks to share. As alot fo you know by the tracks i put up, my mastering skills are not quite up to suff yet=o] Any ideas to help out?

BOA Lifetime Member

usually we let a professional do it

most mastering houses are properly configured specifically for mastering, and use mainly custom made hardware processors for it.

Junior Freak

See...i don't have that type of money laying around. Anyway, i prefer to do it myself. That's how you learn=o]

Parsnip

My advice for mastering, is to apply EQ and compression judiciously to each and every track in your mix, and also the whole mix, until it sounds as good as it possibly can. Simple as that.

Junior Freak

I don't make my tracks *track by track*. I record the whole damn thing as 1 stereo wave file. I'm serious when i say i don't use computers to make music. My mixer goes right into a mini disc recorder=o]

My main problem seems to be punch and volume. I can get a loud mix, but i have to level it till the peaks of the wave form are flat, if you know when i mean. Eh..i'll just keep practicing on loops until i figure it out=o]

BOA Lifetime Member

Buy a hardware compressor and hopefully you have EQ on a mixing board. If not, buy one of those two. You should be able to get both, if need be, for just about $200 US.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

BOA Lifetime Member

or buy cubase.
    recording all into one stereo file is just plain silly.
    can you post a short clip of your tune?
    non serviam

Junior Freak

It may be plain silly, but it's cost effective. Like i sad, i don't have the money for a $600 mixer and a $400 sound card to record multi-track audio. Just not gonna happen for quite a while.
    Here is one of them...
    here

Junior Freak

Here's an idea and maybe a good experiment that I've done on some tracks when I was on a budget , sub mix your trax into 3 groups Hi,mid and lows the send eack bus out into a three channel DJ mixer and work the crap out of it until you get the EQ and levels right as well you can always use old amps and home setreo eqs laying around for addition. I know a lot pros who use these techniques even to today. but when you can I recommend getting a comp and some other real gear

I know your on a budget and everyone has been there but "if there is a will there's way" :)

Junior Freak

Definatly, i have a comp...just not a good sound card. Here is my current set up...

TB-303
    TR-505
    TR-707
    FB-383
    DRM 2 minisyncussion
    A4000 sampler
    Electrix EQ Killer
    dbx 266 compressor
    Behringer EX3200
    and a Tascam MM 1 mixer

I have the mains from the mixer going through the Behringer and into the Electrix EQ Killer, then into my "moniters". The 2nd outputs go into my MD recorder. I have no inserts on this mixer. I have all my BD samples from the sampler coming out their own output and into 1 channel of the compressor. The DRM on the 2nd channel. Sometimes i run my 303 into one of the inputs on the sampler to run thru effects, as i have no dedicated efex unit right now. I've been out of work for quite a few months, but just started a new job today...so i'll be able to afford new items soon. Top of my list:

New Mixer
    New sound card
    New Moniters

That's about it.

Junior Freak

considering the amount of gear you have especially the sampler , I would try and use it to it's full potential at this point , and I know that can be tedious but production wise you can do a lot with just the sampler by mixing down loops of stuff in your track and just use the EFX and EQ in your sampler and remaster each thing and send it out individual outputs and re-compress if need be and keep rebuilding the track until you acheive the sound your looking for :)

Ultimate Freak

hell, beg borrow steal.. get yourself a mixer. i'm about to send you one myself just cuz i spend (part of) my summers in wisconsin ;)

saving that, get a cheap sequencer... like one of those old yamaha qy things. qy70 if memory serves? you'd be shocked how much you can get out that and a mixer. it would change your world.

Junior Freak

Actually, i have an MMT-8, i just forgot to post it=o] I use Techno Toys' SEQ-303 to work out sequences for the 383, then record them into the Alesis.

Junior Freak

Derp..i have an Atari Mega ST2 as well. I go back and forth between using that for my MIDI sequencing...and using the 505 to sequence my drum samples.

Here is a shot of my set from about a year ago.

And a live shot from around the same time.

My set up is basically the same. Take away the Yamaha AN200 and replace it with the FB-383. And a Philtre ModFX pedal and the EQ Killer and the Behringer unit is all new.

Junior Freak

mastering should not be done in the home. You can even levels out and stuff but mastering is no joke and is a bit of a dark science. Get somone experienced to do mastering. It takes a lot more than just sticking the Waves Ultramaximizer on your track to master it properly.

Mixing Pop Vocals: ;)

If you wanna mix vocals in a pop stylee into your track then heres a handy tip. When you've eq'd and compressed the vocal to the desired level you'll be wanting to stick it in the mix with the rest of the tune. Start with the fader at the bottom so its silent. Push the fader up until the vocal is at an audible level in the tune. There is a point when the vocals start to sound too loud and sound like they're fighting with the mix. So obviously the thing to do is turn them down, but then they don't seem to be loud enough. So you push em back up and they just sound too loud and are really ruining you're lovely mix. Now heres the trick. Get the vocal up in the mix where its really ruining everything by being too loud, then turn it UP by about 3db and it will slot in to place perfectly PROVIDING you've done you're eq and compression properly. A good way to test the balance is by turning the volume of your speakers all the way down so its real super quiet and all you should be able to hear is the drums/beats and the vocal line hissing away. It seems unnatural and if you're not used to mixing music with vocals in it then it will seem REALLY weird, but it works and if you listen to most pop music down really quiet, like on the radio or something, you'll notice that most of it comes down to beats and vocals.

Probably not that relevant as most if us will chop up vocals and mix it like part of the beats, but yeah.. I thought it was interesting when I was shown this technique..

Ultimate Freak

Id say a good place to start is not recording straight to minidisc.. its not the greatest format! Thought about DAT??
    jimmah!

Junior Freak

Hmm...funny. I dont use Waves plug ins. And mastering sure as hell can be done at home. I know quite a few people who achieve fantastic results on their own. As far as getting experience...what do you think all this is??=o] Getting experience ;) Funny you mention pop vocals as i had Christina Aguilara over lastnight doing alot of screaming...

DAT: Thought about...would love to get one as they are cheap enough now...just haven't gotten around to it=o]

Junior Freak

try puttin a limiter at the end of your processing chain and give it about 6db boost.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by acidchild
    Hmm...funny. I dont use Waves plug ins. And mastering sure as hell can be done at home. I know quite a few people who achieve fantastic results on their own. As far as getting experience...what do you think all this is??=o] Getting experience ;) Funny you mention pop vocals as i had Christina Aguilara over lastnight doing alot of screaming...

DAT: Thought about...would love to get one as they are cheap enough now...just haven't gotten around to it=o]
    Yeah most people i know can get fantastic results in the home but are always bettered if done in a purpose built studio.

Junior Freak

Oh, for sure. It'll be nice when i can finally get to that stage=o]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast