Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    the big pork pie

Default Q: Are there too many new labels starting up?

Is there really any need for so many new labels and / or sub-labels?

What do you think?

:?:

Supreme Freak

Default Re: Q: Are there too many new labels starting up?

Quote Originally Posted by Si the Sigh

What do you think?

I did vote no but as I said in the other thread it doesn`t bother me too much because if I like a tune i`ll buy regardless of what label its on... but I can see how it would be annoying to people who collect whole labels !

Supreme Freak

Default Re: Q: Are there too many new labels starting up?

What do you think?

May be the whole sub labels thing stems from us liking to put things into neat little boxes ?

BOA Lifetime Member

im not too sure... yes there are loads of labels starting but "are they all good?" i still find myself searching the record shops (online and offline) for decent music, and there are loads of labels out there but i find not all of them float my boat. At the end of the day if someone starts a new label good on them, but it had better be good because theres a lot of competition out there ! ;)
    Be Lucky!

the big pork pie

I just don't see the point. Put it like this...

DJ / Producer 'X' starts up a new label, 'X' Records. The first lot of releases are wicked, really solid acid techno / techno. Things are going well. A few months on DJ / Producer 'X' starts another label thats pretty much the same quality tunes, but on a sub label 'Y' Records.

And this 'Y' Records being the one that makes me think WHY? :?:

Why not carry on with 'X' Records? Keep the quality releases coming out on that label. Is there really any need for another label when the styles on 'X' & 'Y' Records are pretty much sounding the same?

I personally, don't think so...

BOA Lifetime Member

I see your point there Si, yeah i dont think theres any point having 2 or 3 labels of very simular music styles...maybe thats just being greedy! my point is though that becsue there are so many labels starting, the music will have to be good otherwise sales will be low and the label will stop...therefore the labels with decent music will stay and usually those are the ones that have had real effort put in!
    Be Lucky!

BOA Lifetime Member

I see where you're coming from there -But I think where sub labels have a place is say you have X label going, but have some quality tunes that are a bit different, but you still want to keep X label as having a strong identity. Then I don't see to much problem starting Y label - you then have the reputation of your first label to stand on, but a different style or identity for the second one.

With lots of new labels starting up, I guess it makes it harder (or more time consuming) to search out the best tunes. But then If there's only a few labels everyone has the same tunes and that gets boring. I don't mean that in a kind of elitist "I have this tune 'cos I know this label" kind of way, but there can never be too much good techno, and a bit of variety is nice!!
    Pure F*ckin' Noize Terror...

the big pork pie

Wow! I'm personally quite surprised at the poll results so far...

Supreme Freak

Most of the stuff released, i probably only really like half the stuff that is out. I think people are just puttin stuff out for the sake of it to be honest, as i can now appreciate how much time and effort is input into each track, you can tell a mile away

the big pork pie

100% agree with you there. :clap:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kemix
    Most of the stuff released, i probably only really like half the stuff that is out. I think people are just puttin stuff out for the sake of it to be honest, as i can now appreciate how much time and effort is input into each track, you can tell a mile away
    exactly my point mate, the good labels, well produced are the ones that will stay.....with so much competition these days, the labels you can tell that have had no effort put in will die and the ones with real effort and passion will stay :lol:
    Be Lucky!

the big pork pie

Well said! :clap:

Balloonheads anyone? 2 releases + died.
    FU2 anyone? 2 releases + died.
    CID anyone? 1 release + died.

What was the point in starting those labels up? Ok, so an old example, but like you said "the good labels, well produced are the ones that will stay"

Supreme Freak

Good examples, but i reckon this is how it will always go, as these artists can always come back and startup these labels whenever they feel the need

the big pork pie

Good examples, but i reckon this is how it will always go, as these artists can always come back and startup these labels whenever they feel the need
    What? Like Sterling Moss did when Raceway stopped & Racetraxx started... :?:

If Mark Tyler comes back to the scene, is he going to continue No Entry & Re Entry, or is he going to start up Rear Entry Records or something?

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

i voted yes, it would be nice to see a more varied list of artists releasing on established labels in my opnion, but i do admit, alot of the new labels look like they are going to be good quality, so i wish everybody involved the success they deserve, thats if the quality is maintained at the same standard
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man
    i voted yes, it would be nice to see a more varied list of artists releasing on established labels in my opnion, but i do admit, alot of the new labels look like they are going to be good quality, so i wish everybody involved the success they deserve, thats if the quality is maintained at the same standard
    well said dan ;)
    Be Lucky!

the big pork pie

What? Like Sterling Moss did when Raceway stopped & Racetraxx started... :?:

If Mark Tyler comes back to the scene, is he going to continue No Entry & Re Entry, or is he going to start up Rear Entry Records or something?

...by the way I do hope Mr Tyler does come back to the scene!

Supreme Freak

the people who have a bottomless budget for there label can still only release at the most 12 releases a year, (one a month), so producers who write loads of tunes obviously need other outlets for there productions, so 2 labels + a bottomless budget = 24 releases a year, probably not the best example but do you see what im saying?

the big pork pie

Yea, I see what your saying...

BUT...

If DJ / producer 'X' has this bottomless budget, tunes lined up & loads of productions, why not put out more than 2 a month on their established 'X' Records label? Why start another?

I'd rather buy say 2 'X' records in a month knowing they are going to be shit hot, instead of trying to get hold of yet another new label...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast