Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Junior Freak

Default What is Schranz?

Pardon my ignorance, but I keep reading people refering to it on this board, but have no idea what it is.

What labels/djs are knocking it out?

Seems to me that the pidgeon holing of genres is getting out of control...

Junior Freak

Default Re: What is Schranz?

Quote Originally Posted by speed-it-up

Seems to me that the pidgeon holing of genres is getting out of control...

heya, i feel the same way. then again i was never to comfortable when house and techno split around 1992 :-) And dont even get me started on Trance splitting from Techno around 1994.

teh best thing about these micro genres is they seldom last more than a few years.

to answer your question, schranz imo is the gray area between techno, gabber and maybe even trance.

there is cats on this forum that can tell you much much more.
    Internal Error Records -
    IER-004 Woody Mcbride with Adam Jay and Dj Shiva

Supreme Freak

i think the best thing to listen to know what schranz is, is to listen the earl CLAU releases by chris liebing (the ten inchs series, which turned 12" since the number 8).

to me its the music describing the mso thtis name, and actually the rumor says its also the one taht inventd that name.

otherwise lsiten to any of dj rush set...

Prince Of Warthogs

it's just a new word for hard techno
    generally with a bit of distortion in it , chris leibing coined the phrase and now everyone uses it.
    load of old bollocks if you ask me
    love your mum

BOA Mod

nah, there is big difference between typical gabba/hc and schranz IMO. most of schranz djs I know or just talk too think hc is just a bit to fast anyway :lol:

term schranz doesnt mean anything, Liebing came up with that term, when he was asked to describe his "minimalistic but energetic, hard sets" in his radio show "Es ist Freiiiitaaag Aaaabend".. or something like that, dont remember, its story from 1999., and thats a long time ago :lol:
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

Junior Freak

mmmm
    enlightening
    Think I'm tending towards the "load of old bollox" camp.

BOA Mod

Default Re: What is Schranz?

[quote="speed-it-up"]What labels/djs are knocking it out? [quote]

united schranz board http://usb.unitedsb.de/index.php
    with most known schranz djs and labels, some of them post here too..

also check "schranz total" cd series..I think the latest is number 10..
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

Junior Freak

Schranz (IMHO) just another name for hard techno, as said before... My impression of schranz still is the 150 bpm monotone pounding beatz without any depth of content.

DJ's / Producers: Rush, Frank Kvitta, ViperXXL, Amok, Ogi, Daniel Gloomy are to be labeled in the schranz-section... But yeah... it's all just "too-hard-&-too-fast-techno" for me

BOA Lifetime Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Schranz
    Schranz is the name given to European hard techno, a style of techno typically around 140-150 BPM and based around massively bass-heavy kick drums, driving percussion and distorted, looping synth noises. The term originated in 1994 when Chris Liebing used it to describe a certain type of techno in a record store he ran; it has no particular meaning in any language. Some important producers in the genre are DJ Amok, DJ Rush, Sven Wittekind, The Anxious, Arkus P, Marco Remus and Patrik Skoog.

Nice to see a few of the boys mentioned in there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schranz

Basicaly its just a quick way of describing a certain kind of hard techno(atho not all hard Techno)
    Not sure if P scoog is Shranze tho(not IMO)

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Rydel
    Schranz (IMHO) just another name for hard techno, as said before... My impression of schranz still is the 150 bpm monotone pounding beatz without any depth of content.

DJ's / Producers: Rush, Frank Kvitta, ViperXXL, Amok, Ogi, Daniel Gloomy are to be labeled in the schranz-section... But yeah... it's all just "too-hard-&-too-fast-techno" for me
    Ogi?
    I think you mean Obi.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by SummerOfSam
    Ogi?
    I think you mean Obi.
    Hmmm, could have mentioned OBI too, but no, I did mean Ogi

Junior Freak

Saw DJ Rush at Split/Atomic Jam last year. If what he played then was Schranz, you can keep it. I'd call it "plod" but then its each to their own.

A lot of techno you hear played out nowadays seems to be missing "the funk" or that vital spark to differentiate one track from the next.

BOA Lifetime Member

im come down from playing speedcore/hardcore tehno and now to playing schranz and its ****in lovely .....

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Mindful
    Schranz
    Schranz is the name given to European hard techno, a style of techno typically around 140-150 BPM and based around massively bass-heavy kick drums, driving percussion and distorted, looping synth noises. The term originated in 1994 when Chris Liebing used it to describe a certain type of techno in a record store he ran; it has no particular meaning in any language. Some important producers in the genre are DJ Amok, DJ Rush, Sven Wittekind, The Anxious, Arkus P, Marco Remus and Patrik Skoog.

Basicaly its just a quick way of describing a certain kind of hard techno(atho not all hard Techno)
    Skoog and Anxious Schranz?
    Wetworks

BOA Lifetime Member

a lot of schranz bores me thesedays....just seems to be far too many silly samples used with that 'same' boring stupidly fast beat.
    wheres the funk gone?i recall being able to see dj rush a few years ago and although it could be looked upon as 'schranz' he was playing there was always this layer of groove going on that seems to be lacking in hard techno thesedays.

saying that though.....really hard techno on a night out can be fun after about 3am and everyones avin it. :lol:
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

BOA Lifetime Member

your right their danny but its a bit different for me as iv coem down from a different scene which catered for the extreem , i do still need to blast out hard shit to slow or to soft dont seem to interest me unlees im ****in and cant tell :lol:

Junior Freak

Just for the record, Liebing never owned a record store, he (like most of the rest of us) just shopped there all the time and coined the phrase to describe the distorted shredding sound he was looking for in records to his dealer. Next thing you know there is a bin in the record store labeled Schranz. He also started using it on his radio show.

This is straight from the horses mouth.
    The Rev
    Ordained in the Ministry of Techno
    www.gothamgrooves.com
    www.myspace.com/therevufi

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev
    Just for the record, Liebing never owned a record store, he (like most of the rest of us) just shopped there all the time and coined the phrase to describe the distorted shredding sound he was looking for in records to his dealer. Next thing you know there is a bin in the record store labeled Schranz. He also started using it on his radio show.

This is straight from the horses mouth.
    I heard he killed Avalon this weekend.
    Wetworks

Ultimate Freak

My ears are still ringing. :lol:

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by SummerOfSam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindful
    Schranz

Skoog and Anxious Schranz?
    lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast