Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prince Of Warthogs

Quote Originally Posted by rounser
    anone that thinks anyone else is getting into techno because it is
    a : cool
    b : a way to make money

is frankly out of their mind
    I think it is more credible though. From an interview with Jon Doe:
    With your recent EP on Honeypot, many new ideas shined through and it seems your hard dance is still every bit as innovative as your hardcore. Have you got any forthcoming releases on Honeypot or any other hard dance labels?
    Nothing in the pipeline as such with hard dance. I was really pleased with the EP, it sounds fresh and aside from 'Dancefloor' all tracks have loads of new ideas. Unfortunately, hard dance music is suffering from the success of dull people with little vibe who have been hyped beyond all comprehension. There’s nothing wrong with justified hype but the ethic of hard dance was having an electric party feel which you can go mad to. Instead, we have techno tracks being played by hard house DJs to be more credible and mixing tracks after they have played all the way through. That is suffocating the scene.
    Maybe it's one from column A, one from column B (i.e. they do like techno, and they are playing it for cred reasons too).

but credible to who exactly?
    i think this is bullshit , people who i have met and know well are playing techno because they like it man! not for bloody credibility reasons.
    mate , when you re standing in front of 2,000 punters on new years eve who are having the time of their lives , you don't start trying to get credible on them do ya ? ( unless you really need to find out what an empty dancefloor looks like )
    why is everyone so damn precious about this?
    it's as if people aren't allowed to play what they want or something.
    everyone is nervous about some kind of over exposure of techno which will water it down somehow.
    boy are you wrong!
    it will NEVER happen
    techno IS the underground of dance music and ALWAYS will be
    that is the nature of it , it will always mutate to survive .

so , put your slippers on , get your favorite techno l.p. out
    and relax in the knowledge that only 1/2000(ish) other people in the whole
    WORLD have that record too .
    and just try to forget that fergie ( or who ever ) might be spinning it on radio 1 that very same night. to a bunch of punters who think it's hard house.
    love your mum

Likes it hard

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer

first:
    the crowds aren't going mad to pure(er) techno , but they are slowly learning to dance to techno and appreciate it.

secondly
    hard house djs are generally billed when they are playing techno and every so often they'll book a guy who only plays techno anyway so why the hell should they announce that?
    ie: billy nasty at riot ( erm ......2 hour garage set???!!??)

thirdly techno and hard house have always had a very similar musical structure , especially the clubbier techno/acid techno/london techno , they just use different noises and concentrate on the groove rather than the breaks / breakdowns and they try to avoid using tired musical cliches.

cross over music has been going for years and years
    there is nothing wrong with experimenting
    many hard house guys are really into techno and not just bandwagon jumping , but they've finally seen an opportunity to play it alongside more hard housey stuff that they play. fair play to them i say.

i'm pretty sick of this kind of subject turning up in this forum
    and because i am playing the in odd hard house club, and i see it as a challenge to do so , i'm taking it personally ( a bit )

so get over it everyone , anyone can like any music they want
    and we all have a right to play what we want to hear at the weekend

anone that thinks anyone else is getting into techno because it is
    a : cool
    b : a way to make money

is frankly out of their mind

and one last thing
    on the dancefloor no one cares as long as it's good , and that is a tried and tested fact!

so concentrate on getting more people into techno
    they will buy more records/mp3s/cds , there will be more techno made
    that is a simple equation really isn't it!
    well put :clap:

this is my opinion from a clubber who likes hardhouse.
    i cant see a problem with hardhouse dj's playing techno.
    ive not seen many but the ones i have,bk for example has gone down a treat.
    i dont actually go much on these techny hardhouse sets but am lovin techno dj's playing at hardhouse nights.
    this is happening more often which can only be good.
    ive seen davethedrummer blow the ****ing roof off at the se1 playing at a harddance event and he is the main reason im going to the hardhouse academy nxt month.
    that is an event i gave up on a long time ago but i know he is gonna go down a treat and im gonna love it ;)
    at this rate it wont be long before im heading off to events just playing techno :lol:

Junior Freak

theres some cross over stuff i like, and im glad to hear some of these hard house guys gettin a taste of the good stuff. i couldn't tell what i would have done if i heard one more "hoover time" type track.

my problem is, and i know its a pompus thing to say but i wish some of them would bother to educate themselves a little.

example:

i ran into a hard dance dj i hadn't seen for about 6 months, he gave me a copy of his new demo and told me that i really should check it out, chalked full of good techno. surprised to hear him so pumped on it, i asked him wether it was more the acid style or more purist / tribally stuff. he kinda scoffed and was like purist techno. i have to say i was really excited to hear his big leap, checked out the CD a few days later, and literally to me it all sounded like Hard Dance. i think there might have been a powertools and a RAW on there.

Im really not trying to pick bones here, but at least try and know what your talking about. you don't see me jumpin in playin jungle when i know very little about the music.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer

everyone is nervous about some kind of over exposure of techno which will water it down somehow.
    boy are you wrong!
    it will NEVER happen
    techno IS the underground of dance music and ALWAYS will be
    that is the nature of it , it will always mutate to survive .
    Until Henry gets booked to put out a track with Madonna, then the whole world will catch the techno fire!

hahaha, just playin man see ya on Feb. 5th!

Ultimate Freak

its funny how the arguements never go the opposite way.

'god i'm sick of these techno djs suddenly deciding they like hard house!'

it would never happen. it IS getting watered down, even by the term 'hard dance', but agreed theres nothing we can do about it, nor will it effect the release and sales of more sincere techno.

it seems apparent to me that the lifestyles of techno and hard house are releatively and subjectively diametrically opposed. techno was about pushing your mind open with the concepts of technology, politics, innovation, counter culture all coupled with music. of course some people within that chose to opt for the habitual drug abuse though not at the scale that seems prevalent within hard house scenes, but at a simple level techno was more than just the music you heard at the club.

with hard house it appears that its entirely for the drugs. fully automotive music with very few simplistic ingredients and little subtlety, whereas techno can take many different levels in the breadth of its description.
    even the people i've met who say 'i used to play hard house, beofre getting into techno' after a few minutes of conversation i can still see that there view of techno is merely a mutated ideal of what they linked to in hard house and there expressions therein do leave it at that level.

what we're saying is played in these clubs isnt really infringing on the description of techno, more that its written to sympathise with the HH sound, or its juxtaposed to create further dimensions to a fairly limited palette.

i cant really see the HH djs whipping out a techno set that would make any A-list techno dj worry. more that they have seen the limitations of the genre they are working with and have sought something to actually bring some freshness to their sound. IMHO thats still not techno, its hard dance.
    I dont know. You give people freedom and what do the do with it?
    WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL LIKE!

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    its funny how the arguements never go the opposite way.

'god i'm sick of these techno djs suddenly deciding they like hard house!'

it would never happen. it IS getting watered down, even by the term 'hard dance', but agreed theres nothing we can do about it, nor will it effect the release and sales of more sincere techno.

it seems apparent to me that the lifestyles of techno and hard house are releatively and subjectively diametrically opposed. techno was about pushing your mind open with the concepts of technology, politics, innovation, counter culture all coupled with music. of course some people within that chose to opt for the habitual drug abuse though not at the scale that seems prevalent within hard house scenes, but at a simple level techno was more than just the music you heard at the club.

with hard house it appears that its entirely for the drugs. fully automotive music with very few simplistic ingredients and little subtlety, whereas techno can take many different levels in the breadth of its description.
    even the people i've met who say 'i used to play hard house, beofre getting into techno' after a few minutes of conversation i can still see that there view of techno is merely a mutated ideal of what they linked to in hard house and there expressions therein do leave it at that level.

what we're saying is played in these clubs isnt really infringing on the description of techno, more that its written to sympathise with the HH sound, or its juxtaposed to create further dimensions to a fairly limited palette.

i cant really see the HH djs whipping out a techno set that would make any A-list techno dj worry. more that they have seen the limitations of the genre they are working with and have sought something to actually bring some freshness to their sound. IMHO thats still not techno, its hard dance.
    WORD WORD WORD...

well said tony.

as krsone said about hiphop (hiphop's been sub for techno)

"techno is a way of life, a way to view the world". it is NOT just music to me.

Ultimate Freak

oh and tony ive got that tel no for you for underground solushn...toatlly forgot till now when i saw yer name on that post.....if i forget to pm ya later today then remind me....sorry man.

Ultimate Freak

on the subject of HH djs trying to mix techno to "enhance ther sets"...

why the fuk do techno djs dont look at hiphop/turntablists to enhance thers???

why dont none of you skratch or shit?????

why why why, when techno music is about using advances in technogy to create unique sounds..?????

Junior Freak

but credible to who exactly?
    How much respect do you think genres like club trance, hardhouse and happy hardcore? Not much...no, in fact their credibility is largely so low that they're likely to get bagged by the rest of the dance music "scene". For instance: What's more credible, acid or hoovers? Deep house or funky house? It may be silly, but it's the way people think, and ingrained in dance music culture.

There seems to be a sort of invisible hierarchy of the genres, and purist techno is way up there, if not at the top. Sounds which define the term aside, add the prefix "tech" to a genre and it immediately gains credibility in much the same way people grasp for it by using words like "progressive" or "intelligent". It's sometimes hard to tell whether using these words is as much a bid for status as a descriptor of the actual sound....and to some people this matters a hell of a lot; they like to think they're listening to sophisticated music, and worry what others think of their tastes (could they play it to family and friends without embarrassment?). I know these people exist because I've seen them posting on messageboards, talking in these terms and using these words in ways that suggest image is as important as content. :dontevengothere:

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with techno; more to do with the insecurities and imposed pecking orders of the followers of other genres. But hardhouse seems to be attracting a lot more negative attention of late, so I think it's safe to say that it's taken a dive in terms of respect in recent years (much as hardstyle has), and has nowhere near the respect that techno has. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a DJ needs a certain level of credibility and respect in order to get a whole range of bookings, and that's related to the music they play, and the associations with that music (and genre).

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by gumpy green

why why why, when techno music is about using advances in technogy to create unique sounds..?????
    errrr... some do?

Pretty sure I've heard scratching in Techno sets before.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse

errrr... some do?

erm, yeah, there's only a few who do it in a hip hop turntablist style, but they are out there.
    i for one wouldnt say i was a demon scratcher, but beat juggling and kick drum scratching i have down to a tee.
    best not to do it for too long in a set cos, as like hip hop scratching or guitar solos, sometimes it can become a bit self indulgent.

anyhoo, back on topic..........

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse

errrr... some do?

erm, yeah, there's only a few who do it in a hip hop turntablist style, but they are out there.
    i for one wouldnt say i was a demon scratcher, but beat juggling and kick drum scratching i have down to a tee.
    best not to do it for too long in a set cos, as like hip hop scratching or guitar solos, sometimes it can become a bit self indulgent.

anyhoo, back on topic..........
    Yeah, right - good DJ's across the board take influence from EVERYTHING. To be so insular as to solely take techno as a source of ideas leads to nothing but stagnation in the vast majority of cases.

Ultimate Freak

too right man, george formby has been my biggest influence to date, closely followed by marguerita praggatan, then maybe the techno remixes of shakka demus and pliers.

keep those boundaries open folks ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    i am in agreement with you really, just being daft

Supreme Freak

who cares about if hard house dj's are playing techno. From my perspective of owning a label the more people playing techno the better. It means that instead of labels scraping to survive off tiny profit margins, we can press more records or sell more mp3's, therefore making it easier for the label(s) to survive!

Prince Of Warthogs

too right man, george formby has been my biggest influence to date, closely followed by marguerita praggatan, then maybe the techno remixes of shakka demus and pliers.

keep those boundaries open folks ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    i am in agreement with you really, just being daft
    my biggest influence is probably alcohol
    followed closely by staying up late , and being naughty
    love your mum

BOA Mod

keep pushing the boundaries

so what if hardhouse dj plays techno? hh kidz think its hardhouse too? let em be, they will realise it one day.. maybe :D

with so many styles and such big categorisation of music most kidz dont know the difference between styles anyway..
    and at the end of a day, who cares, as long as they have good time and enjoy themselfs..

bunch of croatian trance djs were or still are playing Rolando's Jaguar, so lots of kids think its trance tune.. I really dont have any more nerves to explain them, god knows I've been trying for a long time..
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

BOA Lifetime Member

shit, if hard house dj's play techno, that means more sales for techno right?

**** it, sounds good to me

Junior Freak

Yes there's nothing worse than a good techno set or any good set for that matter with someone that just can't stop the scratching, tricks whatever and goes off on some possessed tangent, yikes! :lol:

It's painful for me (seriously) to hear good techno being played with any other kind of bad cheezy music or in a badly mixed set BUT if it's played masterfully with other good music and with someone who knows what they are doing it can be good....personally I like to hear things in their purest form without any watering down or mash ups etc... but that’s just me and I respect anyone who has an open mind to music.
    Techno. Drum and Bass.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honeey
    Yes there's nothing worse than a good techno set or any good set for that matter with someone that just can't stop the scratching, tricks whatever and goes off on some possessed tangent, yikes! :lol:
    when dave clarke used to be on form a few years ago i could stand and stare at this guy doin tricks all night regardless of the tunes....awesome and not even slightly annoying.
    \"if you don\'t explode a few heads every night, then you\'re not doing your job\" R.Hawtin IDJ 2001

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dogshit
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeey
    when dave clarke used to be on form a few years ago i could stand and stare at this guy doin tricks all night regardless of the tunes....awesome and not even slightly annoying.
    Impressive.....most impressive
    Techno. Drum and Bass.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast