Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.

Thread: Help!

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Help!

Not sure if this is quite right. Tis my first track done with a proper stereo set up and I just don't know if this sounds right as I'm not used to my system anymore. Is it better than usual?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.north80/spark.mp3

BOA Lifetime Member

sounds pretty clean to me..... i cant reallly say whether its better or not... coz theyre different styles to each other.... and who am i to say such things!!!!

more hi end Eq on this tho i think...

nice funky noises again on the breakdown. good tune!!!

Ultimate Freak

Not bad... a bit loopy though.
    Needs a big bunch of sparkle on the top end..
    The kick is almost indistinguishable in the mids.. only has a bit of low to it.
    Low end could be jacked up.... I think you need some reverb in here too as it sounds a bit dry.

Interesting elements though... just need some work on making them sound cleaner ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

Straight away this is pretty muddy, so it sounds like you`ve not got used to your new monitor set up yet, and you wont for a while, there`s no way to rush your ears into accepting the new accoustics.
    When I moved my monitors it took me about 2 weeks before I learned the new sound properly.
    Your probably over compensating for the flatness of your sound, and pushing the bass too much, which is making the mid to sub area really muddy.

And as XFive said the top end can be a bit brighter.

But the tune itself has a nice airy tone and although it is a bit loopy, I like it.
    Maybe some extra elements and a lot more changes and edits on the 32 and 64 will keep the ear interested
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Thank you. I've been kicking myself over this one. THis area of techno is undiscovered country for me. It requires so much extra thought than the usual "acidtrash" stuff which did live up to it's name. Before I was very much of the attitude "heres another f*ckin wicked acid riff" and sod the rest of it but having played it live I found myself bailing out of tracks two soon because I was getting bored of it and I've found that you can't really do many interesting things with vocals or basslines if you've got too much acid going on. It's just too busy to give it space. I'm finding with this osrt of techno I can make the basslines I want using the samples I want and theres still room for the noises I want to use.

I also got very tired of the "that's not a real 303" debate. Personally I don't much care if the acid line is good but the only way synthetic acid sounds good is when it's heading into hard house teritorywith the rest of the track being synthetic. Although I do like hard house or select examples I'm finding it just doesn't push any buttons in me for more than 10 minutes after which it gets too repetetive to bother with.

I'm much more inclined to experiment and follow my own ideas now I've ceased trying to emulate and I'm finding my techno experiments far more rewarding and certainly more challenging. I've booked a session with Mr Calver to see what I can learn from that should be interesting. I'm now making the music that's in my head and not what the acid line dictates so I've never been more excited to be producing. All I have to do is work out how the hell I make it loud enough to make it sit right with other peoples music I love. Instead of a track taking 8 hours I'm now on day three of the same track and I'm still not happy with it. No more creative conveyor belts.

If you need to say I told uyou so, please go ahead. I'm listening now.

BOA Lifetime Member

This is all good man, when you hit a creative epiphany it really does open up your mind, and you suddenly find more possibilities and directions you can go in.
    I`m like a kid in a candy store these days.
    Although I wouldn`t abandon your acid routes, maybe try using them in a new way?
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com