Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: techno sound

Supreme Freak

^^^ ya, except for "special effect" reverbs that you'll have stretch out for a long time, the "right amount" of reverb is something that gives enough to be picked up by the subconscious, but not enough to be really obvious and get in the way of other sounds.

Supreme Freak

yeah man sounds like i should be using reverb more. wot sort of mak fx units are you getting your reverbs from. wot do you think on using the reverb plugins off logic? could you giv me some sort idea of how you would use it in a track. bit hard to say i spect putting it on wots right at the time. like somthing like this.

kick- reverse reverb. any compression. say you had two or there kicks.
    hi hats- some with abit of hall reverb. some with out
    percs- say dist. delay, on all the tight ones. and some big reverb on the lower percs that only sound a couple of times in the tune.

bass- id say no but yeah would of thout people might put a touch on.

cheers guys

Junior Freak

that's true about the special fx rvbs, evil - i have been getting into chorusing rbvs, shifting the rvb about - subtle changes that go on usually without the listener being directly aware of it, to make a repetitive track more interesting
    suck my tiny brain

Supreme Freak

chorus is kind of a strange fx for me. wot i mean is that its not as obvious as delay reverb paser and flanger. but it is like a flanger kind ov. could you tell me wot its doing to the sound if you could meta. coz when put abit to much feedback or somthing sounds quite detuned. not like a flanger. i take its shifting at from left to right but with alittle more then that

Junior Freak

chorus is kind of like unison - it just layers a slightly modulated and delayed signal over the top of the existing one.

machina
    The Lines - Melbourne, Australia

Supreme Freak

thanks man

Supreme Freak

is that to widen the sound shifting left to right. or like unison mak it abit more richer. sounds like it does both?

Junior Freak

yeah - it's a little bit of both... just think of it like a group of people singing as opposed to just one person singing - there's a little delay between singers, a little detuning, plus it makes the sound a little 'fatter' in that there is more sound.

machina

Supreme Freak

cool. had the idea that unison gav that tipe of fx. hav it on my virus b which lets you take up quite hi but munchs the poly up.

Supreme Freak

would you be using these reverb chorus on drums then. not just on say leads. and could you just chorus on drums. or would you use the reverb that you hav on the drums and just hav abit of of chorus in there off the reverb plugin etc

Supreme Freak

yeah man. dont worry i'll still hav my own way of thinking when i get on my kit. somtimes to much so and get lazy! and not tri out anoth. all good info. gotta tri more for me and bring the sound out. like eqing good to get nic sound and more pro sounding

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by nova
    would you be using these reverb chorus on drums then. not just on say leads. and could you just chorus on drums. or would you use the reverb that you hav on the drums and just hav abit of of chorus in there off the reverb plugin etc
    depends what you're doing. sometimes yes sometimes no... there ain't any rules in techno - that's the beauty of it.

machina

Supreme Freak

yeah man i havnt tried chorus on drums before. reverb but not chorus. id say hav it on percs bongos not so much on the kick and hats. thats the way id go with it. but itis good to kno how others are using coz there is so much you can do to the sound that get lost in wot is good and wots not

Supreme Freak

i need to hav a good listen to some tec and see if i can hear how its getting used. reverbs chorus.

Supreme Freak

You need to sit and experiment!

Junior Freak

shit, machina, did you not get your techno rulebook with your pc?

i thought everyone did - where do you all get your ideas from, then?

i am up to page 72, but i dunno what i'll do when i get to the last page - i wonder if henry or geezer have written any supplements or advanced editions?

i think you can send off for a copy from www.yeahright.co.uk

:dontevengothere: ;) :lol:

chorussing reverbs - to get a shifting effect, you want to use a slow speed setting - listen closely to some of geezers clap patterns, for instance, you can hear the reverb shifting away in the background

i'd tend not to chorus the actual drum sound, just the reverb, to get it to shift about a bit

now, chorussing bass - that's one way to phatten things up - careful you don't wash it out too much, tho!
    suck my tiny brain

Supreme Freak

then once you get reverb worked out....

....you find out that every piece of hardware and software does it differently and with its own unique character. phew!!

one track can use several different types of reverb for different sounds. i have one I like to use on vocals, one for hats, one for reverse and another one for percussion.

when it comes to minimal, reverb is your best friend ;)

Junior Freak

yeah - i guess that's my problem - i don't use a pc for production... never got the rulebook. fax me through a copy?

machina

BOA Lifetime Member

i like threads like this one.

Supreme Freak

yeah cheers guys for all the good input. i'll hav a listen to some of geezers stuff close up for reverbs and that. somtimes i do hear a reverb on the claps and kind of sounds like a reverse reverb but when i tri it doesnt sound like it. maybe a reverb with chorus and delay. hey guys wot you make of the akai reverbs. the reverse sounds nice. wot you think

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast