Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Ultimate Freak

if we lived in a free world no of this shit would matter!

Junior Freak

What sh1ts me the most is how expensive all the new technology is. I mean come one, who has that much dosh for a CDJ or Final Scratch, and all the money needed for production tools.

I'm starving as it is. And I work full time as a designer!

BOA Lifetime Member

Price will fall.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    As for talk of auto beat matching, I really don't like that idea I have to say, will these contraptions play your set for you as well?!
    Mate, you sound almost as if you're actually scared that these computers are gonna come in and steal all your DJ gigs!
    Not at all. I'm holding out for the super dooper model that'll give oral sex everytime the crowd cheer.
    Ah, that's the pleasure 2000 - they stock those in Soho.

Lets be clear: I'm comfortable in the knowledge that there are things I am always going to be better than a computer at doing. Picking the right records, reading the crowd, knowing when to drop the bass back in for maximum effect etc. Whatever your little tricks are, their your little bits of artistic flair, and a machine has no hope in hell of emulating them.
    I didn't think we were talking about computers? Anyway I go with what you are saying, it leads to the same reason why I'm not interested in replacing vinyl with CD.
    Who wants to replace? I love my vinyls. I just don't hate CDs.

All Steve is saying is that given the knowledge of the relative BPMs of two pieces of music, a computer will be much better at getting them playing at the same speed, and in time - and will do it much faster than anyone here..
    Well to be honest I am far more interested in using a computer in preference to a CD deck, I see far more possibilities to using a laptop in tandem with decks.
    To be honest, most consumer electronics devices these days are computers. They have generic microprocessors loaded with some kind of OS / firmware with the instructions to do their task. This is much cheaper than making dedicated hardware. I have no doubt this is true of CD decks. When I say "a comupter" I mean a programmable, electronic device. Don't kid yourself that a PC is any "cleverer" than your Microwave. It's just got less restrictions.

Unless you find beatmatching fun, in which case go ahead, enjoy...
    Yes I do find beat matching fun, it's a terrible pity that such a basic enjoyment of Djing should be scoffed at. I mean what do we want to do, completely kill the live aspect of DJing as we know it? Things are so calculated and clinical these days as it is (which is what turns a lot of people off the music).. auto beat matching is only going to add to that.
    Fair enough, I have to cave to this one - I quite enjoy simple mixing too. But I'm not averse to the idea of letting a computer (or CD deck or whatever) do it while I try something else for a bit.

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by Craig McW
    What sh1ts me the most is how expensive all the new technology is. I mean come one, who has that much dosh for a CDJ or Final Scratch, and all the money needed for production tools.

I'm starving as it is. And I work full time as a designer!
    Too right... £800 is taking the piss.

I can't for a minute believe even a top-of-the-range CD deck is much more expensive to manufacture than a turntable.

Ultimate Freak

as sales goes up production goes up hence price falls.....always the same with new technology.

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by gumpy green
    as sales goes up production goes up hence price falls.....always the same with new technology.
    *IF* sales go up. If early sales do not compensate for research & development costs, cost overruns can shut a product release down.

Through out history many fine pieces of technology died early deaths due to price being too high.
    Internal Error Records -
    IER-004 Woody Mcbride with Adam Jay and Dj Shiva

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Internal Error Records
    Quote Originally Posted by gumpy green
    *IF* sales go up. If early sales do not compensate for research & development costs, cost overruns can shut a product release down.

Through out history many fine pieces of technology died early deaths due to price being too high.
    yeh If......and i doubt it will,yet.

BOA Lifetime Member

Technics aren`t stupid, they`ve done virtually nothing to the 1200`s forever cos they knew they didn`t need to.
    Now they`ve brought out a CD deck.
    They know exactly what they are doing
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910