Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Audio wise it is superior to vinyl as CD has none of the nasty frequency cuts that vinyl has, and of course you get no phasing problems.
    Plus most of the music is recorded digitally anyway, either onto dat or CD, so the argument that vinyl is analogue and sounds better is a little bit of a no goer these days.
    Who records techno to 1 inch tape and then masters to vinyl to keep all the stages analogue?
    no one.
    I was going to say something along these lines, but previously such statements have put me in some fairly hostile situations with vinyl purists - but do the research...

People who moan about the lack of low end in CDs - well, THAT's bollocks. CD audio is sampled at 44.1kHz - so according to the Nyquist theorem (in short: you must have a sampling rate of twice the highest frequency present to avoid adding extra harmonics) they can take any frequency BELOW 22.05kHz, with no lower bound. Compare this with the fact that bass is actually rolled off from a recording before pressing to vinyl (so the needle doesn't jump all over the shop) and then re-added when playing - which is why you need a preamp for turntables.

Then, if you look here you'll see that "The range of hearing for a healthy young person is 20 to 20,000 hertz" - so even the high end should be fine.

Past that it's just a case of bit-depth.

PS I love records too, I'm just not afraid of new things either.

BOA Newbie

Does anyone know if it is possible to encrypt a digital code into an analogue signal?

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by miss bass
    I vote that everyone in techno stops saying BAH
    YES PLEASE!! I'm with you.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by XIM
    Does anyone know if it is possible to encrypt a digital code into an analogue signal?
    Encrypt? Either I'm being pedantic or I missed atrick somewhere.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    Audio wise it is superior to vinyl as CD has none of the nasty frequency cuts that vinyl has, and of course you get no phasing problems.
    Plus most of the music is recorded digitally anyway, either onto dat or CD, so the argument that vinyl is analogue and sounds better is a little bit of a no goer these days.
    Who records techno to 1 inch tape and then masters to vinyl to keep all the stages analogue?
    no one.
    I was going to say something along these lines, but previously such statements have put me in some fairly hostile situations with vinyl purists - but do the research...

People who moan about the lack of low end in CDs - well, THAT's bollocks. CD audio is sampled at 44.1kHz - so according to the Nyquist theorem (in short: you must have a sampling rate of twice the highest frequency present to avoid adding extra harmonics) they can take any frequency BELOW 22.05kHz, with no lower bound. Compare this with the fact that bass is actually rolled off from a recording before pressing to vinyl (so the needle doesn't jump all over the shop) and then re-added when playing - which is why you need a preamp for turntables.

Then, if you look here you'll see that "The range of hearing for a healthy young person is 20 to 20,000 hertz" - so even the high end should be fine.

I have no idea what you're saying there bud but I beleive you.

Supreme Freak

hehe

This thread is scary really. Just thinking about all the possiblities with cd decks etc, but i still love my beloved vinyls.

Production is the way forward production is the way forward
    production is the way forward

i think aswell as cds its the live sets too which are / have taken over.
    R.I.P JOHN PEEL ...........

BOA Newbie

Sorry I’ll rephrase myself.

Would it be possible to have vinyl that you can/could also store digital-data, kind of like a cd/vynil and then will have the best of both worlds!!!
    ;)

Ultimate Freak

Would it be possible to have vinyl that you can/could also store digital-data, kind of like a cd/vynil and then will have the best of both worlds!!!
    ;)
    mmm good point.....how on earth are you meant to skracth or juggle cds...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by miss bass
    Production is the way forward production is the way forward
    production is the way forward
    what does that mean? producing records? producing farts?!

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by gumpy green

;)
    CDJ-1000?

I've seen people scratch on these no problem.

The new Technics CD players even give you a spinning platter.

Ultimate Freak

no one.

:clap:
    I dont know. You give people freedom and what do the do with it?
    WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL LIKE!

Ultimate Freak

even if vinyl becomes outmoded as a new release product, that still doesnt stop the fact that all of us crazy bastards have tonnes of the stuff. it wont just go away.
    I dont know. You give people freedom and what do the do with it?
    WHATEVER THEY BLOODY WELL LIKE!

Ultimate Freak

;)
    CDJ-1000?

yeh as far as i know the new technics is about as close to a "deck" as you can get in the cd thing... but i don't reckon the dmc will be using them!!!
    JUNE 19TH - TECHNO MANCUNIA ... JULY 10TH JEFF MILLS @SANKEYS ... JULY 18TH MARK EG & FRIENDS (GLENN WILSON) ... JULY 25TH SQUARE FESTIVAL (BILLY NASTY & NEIL LANDSTRUM)

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mucky Beats

;)
    CDJ-1000?

yeh as far as i know the new technics is about as close to a "deck" as you can get in the cd thing... but i don't reckon the dmc will be using them!!!
    I already seem scratch masters usin the technics.

Ultimate Freak

I see its the bi-monthly vinyl vs cd war again... yippee!! Maybe we can all choose opposite sides for arguments sake... :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

:lol:

Ultimate Freak

http://www.beigerecords.com/artists/8bitcs.html

Supreme Freak

I've been of the opinion that vinyl should die for along time now. Not a popular opinion I know - but for fecks sake, we are into TECHNO! That has to do with "technology". So you would have thought people into techno are into pushing new technology to its limits, like really going out on a limb and seeing what can be done with all the different little gizmo's available to us.

Instead, alot of the techno scene seems to be totally hung up on the OLDEST way to record and play back music - records. Fair enough, stick with what you know and all that, but I reckon some of the stuff thats coming out now, and some of the stuff that will be out in 5 years, will allow those willing to embrace it to blow everything else out of the water.

I don't reccomend having record burnings or anything, and I intend to keep my records and turntables for a long long time, but we musn't be afraid of something new, especially when its such an improvement.

Here's another thought - I'll bet alot of musicians couldent even bear the thought of a synth when they first started appearing. But the idea of a synth/keyboard or whatever is accepted by all now - and pianos are still going strong. So perhaps there is room for everything. In fact, you still come across the odd harpsichord - and they were outmoded hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

BOA Lifetime Member

;)
    Who cares!!
    hehe
    seriously, you can scratch with CD`s, as the wav is actually prescanned into the memory of the CD player, so you are manipulatin gthe wav itself and not the CD.
    So scratching, for those of you that like that old sound, can do it.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Screw vinyl
    Screw Mp3
    Screw CD
    Screw DVD
    I`m going for holochips

It`s techno innit
    ;)
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast