Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by eyes without a face
    is this still going?

i cant believe how some people just wont accept the argument Steve is putting over here, especially regarding sales, the mans speaking truth!

as for the technologies, damn, they are here already, so why do people talk like they are waiting for aliens to land with these new cd decks? the new technics and pioneers emulate a turntable 100% and thats the truth... 100 total english %... there is nothing any dj on here or anywhere could not do on it compared to a proper technic... apart from something like shaking the deck and getting the feedback, which im not sure why anyone wud want to do anyway really, especially in a packed club and risking the needle jumping, but anyways.....
    Yeah pretty much

BOA Lifetime Member

why cant we have both
    STAR WARS IS ALMOST AS CRAP AS TOLKIEN

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by FILTERZ
    why cant we have both
    Economies of scale dear boy.

Whats the point of a record player if no-ones making records?

Unless of course someone comes up with an infallable way of cheaply manufacuring vinyl at home in the same way a CD burner works.

Ultimate Freak

why cant we have both
    we will......dont let these folks tell you otherwize.

its been getting said for yrs......ther just too many vinyl junkies out ther for it to happen, just now or in the next 5yrs

and even when/if it does, itll not be in our life time.....if it did tho- i have enuf records to keep me going now, and thers still loads kicking about in shops..

actually when folks start sellin theyr recs to buy cds im gonna snap em all up ;) n the cheap.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by AcidTrash
    why cant we have both
    Economies of scale dear boy.

Whats the point of a record player if no-ones making records?

Unless of course someone comes up with an infallable way of cheaply manufacuring vinyl at home in the same way a CD burner works.
    but ther will still be producers doing records, the ones that luv records.......ive not heard many saying ther stoppin..mind you i only know a few.

who on here that releases tracks is going to stop making vinyl and start making cds instead??? the change will be slow so im not worried(yet).

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by machina
    how does the technology inside make it sound every bit as good as vinyl? cd is digital vinyl is analog... there's no way to reproduce the warmth of vinyl in a digital format unless you "simulate" it - and that would be dumb.

machina
    None of the instruments I use to make music nowadays, nor most of anyone else who's music I've been listening to a lot over the past 8 years, is analog in the slightest. So, really, I couldn't care less if the medium I have a song on in the end is either vinyl or CD.

As for the comments someone made about producers losing income, I really fail to see how that has anything to do with the medium something is pressed on. If it's a "duh" thing then please explain it to me since the mechanicals I see from vinyl or CD aren't any different in number and, generally, I see more roaylties coming back my way through CD sales than I ever have through vinyl.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

BOA Lifetime Member

Lets just stop this now.
    There is so much fear going on about inevitable change that it`s frightening me. New technology is here, I say, at least try it before you discount it totally.

The facts about sound reproduction are all in this thread for anyone moaning on about "vinyl is analogue" so that isn`t even in question.

Essentially things are ropey with the scene right now.

Expect more distributers to fall down this summer.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Time for a threadlock and consign this one to the gutters of history?

BOA Lifetime Member

I'd still like to know why people think that dwindling vinyl use means less money for the artists. I'm just not following this. On a side note, the last mix where a track written by myself and the other guys I work with will see some money from was only released on CD. So, a DJ played the song off of CD in his set and the mix was being sold at the last Hellbound party I guess. I'm just confused on this one as I don't see how vinyl is necesarilly beneficial or harmful for producers in regards to sales. Vinyl sells to one specific crowd. CDs sell to another crowd or a mixed crowd when it comes to recording medium preferences.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tocsin
    I'd still like to know why people think that dwindling vinyl use means less money for the artists. .
    basic economics?
    Less sales = Less money.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

Ok. Now, how many artists/producers here limit themselves to only being released on vinyl? I know I don't.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechMouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil
    As for talk of auto beat matching, I really don't like that idea I have to say, will these contraptions play your set for you as well?!
    Mate, you sound almost as if you're actually scared that these computers are gonna come in and steal all your DJ gigs!
    Not at all. I'm holding out for the super dooper model that'll give oral sex everytime the crowd cheer.

Lets be clear: I'm comfortable in the knowledge that there are things I am always going to be better than a computer at doing. Picking the right records, reading the crowd, knowing when to drop the bass back in for maximum effect etc. Whatever your little tricks are, their your little bits of artistic flair, and a machine has no hope in hell of emulating them.
    I didn't think we were talking about computers? Anyway I go with what you are saying, it leads to the same reason why I'm not interested in replacing vinyl with CD.

All Steve is saying is that given the knowledge of the relative BPMs of two pieces of music, a computer will be much better at getting them playing at the same speed, and in time - and will do it much faster than anyone here..
    Well to be honest I am far more interested in using a computer in preference to a CD deck, I see far more possibilities to using a laptop in tandem with decks.

Unless you find beatmatching fun, in which case go ahead, enjoy...
    Yes I do find beat matching fun, it's a terrible pity that such a basic enjoyment of Djing should be scoffed at. I mean what do we want to do, completely kill the live aspect of DJing as we know it? Things are so calculated and clinical these days as it is (which is what turns a lot of people off the music).. auto beat matching is only going to add to that. It comes down the the same old thing though.. if there were better music to play, we wouldn't be getting as flustered over CD vs Vinyl as sales would not be suffering as much. Good music = more sales.

Btw. guys, I think many of you are completely neglecting to realise that ALL music sales are down, not just vinyl. So vinyl is going to die, we are all going to die too, but until some of you can put a rough time frame on when this may come about then it's pretty much an unvalidated arguement. Vinyl may decrease in popularity but it's not going anywhere anytime soon, I challenge anyone here to try and prove otherwise.

BOA Lifetime Member

If things carry on as they are, I can see a high percentage of labels stopping vinyl production within the next 2 years. Whether by their own choice or not.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    If things carry on as they are, I can see a high percentage of labels stopping vinyl production within the next 2 years. Whether by their own choice or not.
    Sure, but there's no guarantee that things will just die off, it may be the digital revolution but vinyl's been around a long time, plus I'm sure you'll agree that the vast amount of producers out there will want their music to hit wax rather than anything else. As they say: As long as there's a will, there's a way ;)

BOA Lifetime Member

yeah, i doubt vinyl will ever go away

BOA Lifetime Member

[quote="Sunil"]
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    It's definitely not healthy now, and there's many producers who release little these days and others that are about to jump ship.. this is the shit reality alright. Wish I knew the answer.. maybe less distributors, and of those left that they have a stricter control over what goes out? Hmm, but then they wouldn't make money. Maybe labels need to be more cautious, clever and astute in business before they go starting labels, otherwise they will truly lose their bollocks, and swamp the market more than it actually needs.

BOA Lifetime Member

It`s a combination of things, but it needs to be discussed.

Peronally as a producer, I can`t wait for the vinyl to change to something other than vinyl.
    Vinyl has so many abberations you have to correct for, bass phasing, top end, stereo field, loudness, track length compared to bass size, cutting speed.
    It`s very rare your master will sound the same once it goes to vinyl.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

this thread has almost made me lose my will to live........

oh shit........

there it goes.....
    upcoming releases : Templ8r 1, Advanced 025, Humanoid 7, Emetic 013 - www.djscottgray.co.uk

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by eyes without a face
    this thread has almost made me lose my will to live........

oh shit........

there it goes.....
    I heard you felt that way when the spice girls split up scotty :lol:

Come on guys cheer up

MUSIC WILL NEVER DIE

BOA Lifetime Member

dont bring up that era mate please.... it was a bad time..... i still cant bring myself to open "Spice World" on DVD that i got for xmas
    upcoming releases : Templ8r 1, Advanced 025, Humanoid 7, Emetic 013 - www.djscottgray.co.uk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast