Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
    BOA Newbie

Default The (possible) Future of DJ'ing

The (possible) Future of DJ'ing
    Okay here's my thoughts on how to move things forward:

Making use of the new controllers coming out for ableton / traktor / Fscratch etc.

Sell CD's / DVD's of an E.P or Single in the following format:

example:

Chris Liebing - Seven Eleven

1. Kik Drum Channel
    2. Snare Drum Channel
    3. Bassline Channel (1)
    4. Bassline Channel (2)
    5. Synth Line Channel
    6. Fx Channel

and so on...

so in essence the complete tune is stripped down to it's single tracks.

on later tracks have the individual hits... kik, snare, crash etc.

also have wet and dry versions.

The point being that you could then excentuate the mix, lengthen it. edit it, remix it, etc

and use the parts in ableton / traktor / final scratch

This could be made viable in a "selling records" way, by selling the cd / dvd at say 10 to 20 times the price.

Serious developers of "Live" mixing / editing would I'm sure pay the money, considering most people Dj and Produce.

Also the piracy would be somewhat less, like the dub culture because the people that bought the cd / dvd would be less inclined to share it... I mean you get what u pay for and it would lead to far more inspiring, far more un cluttered and tuneful sets...

Before you flame... just pause and think about the extent of the possibilities with ableton and VST's... using meloydyne / anaters autotune to switch tune / key of basslines... and on and on... true DJ creativity...

then think back to Grandmaster flash and what he did with 2 record players instead of 1 which helped lead to the last 20 years of Dj'ing...

let's move things forward...
    <<<CLASSIFIED>>>

Ultimate Freak

speedy j released that loops thing which is ****ing blinding :)

maybe one problem is that it would be easy to remix or nick sections (for own productions), without asking for permission (maybe thats also why u'd pay a higher price??)

i think its more exciting hearing people deconstruct their own tracks inside ableton or whateva

Supreme Freak

No self respecting artist who puts any sort of real work into their music would even think twice about handing it out all chopped up for people to rip them off in multiple ways.

You'd find it hard for people to agree with releasing their music like this.

BOA Lifetime Member

Ummmmm, exactly how hard is it to "rip" parts from a techno track? All the gear is pretty standard and anyone with an ear could copy the one-finger melodies or four-on-the-floor 909 thumps if they wanted to. **** it. I'd do it. Sounds like fun. If anything, allows people who like your tracks to remix them and you could even take submissions. Don't see how it really increases any possible harm through "theft" though. The people who are good at biting tracks already know how to do so.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

Ultimate Freak

i might release something i didn't care about much in this format for fun. but never in a million years would i put out real work like this.

BOA Lifetime Member

Default Re: The (possible) Future of DJ'ing

Quote Originally Posted by Flipvert
    The (possible) Future of DJ'ing
    Okay here's my thoughts on how to move things forward:

Making use of the new controllers coming out for ableton / traktor / Fscratch etc.

Sell CD's / DVD's of an E.P or Single in the following format:

example:

Chris Liebing - Seven Eleven

1. Kik Drum Channel
    2. Snare Drum Channel
    3. Bassline Channel (1)
    4. Bassline Channel (2)
    5. Synth Line Channel
    6. Fx Channel

and so on...

so in essence the complete tune is stripped down to it's single tracks.

on later tracks have the individual hits... kik, snare, crash etc.

also have wet and dry versions.

The point being that you could then excentuate the mix, lengthen it. edit it, remix it, etc

and use the parts in ableton / traktor / final scratch

This could be made viable in a "selling records" way, by selling the cd / dvd at say 10 to 20 times the price.

Serious developers of "Live" mixing / editing would I'm sure pay the money, considering most people Dj and Produce.

Also the piracy would be somewhat less, like the dub culture because the people that bought the cd / dvd would be less inclined to share it... I mean you get what u pay for and it would lead to far more inspiring, far more un cluttered and tuneful sets...

Before you flame... just pause and think about the extent of the possibilities with ableton and VST's... using meloydyne / anaters autotune to switch tune / key of basslines... and on and on... true DJ creativity...

then think back to Grandmaster flash and what he did with 2 record players instead of 1 which helped lead to the last 20 years of Dj'ing...

let's move things forward...
    Sod that, if my music is gonna be played as "live PA" then I`m gonna play it.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com