Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindful
    Theres loads of music that rocks dancfloors but not many that let you get as deep or experimental as Techno does so why waste the opertunity to do somthing different?

The attraction in techno for me is that im free to do what the **** I like with it and still its part of the Techno machine.
    Definitely. Tell that to many established or upcoming Euro Techno producers though. I've been pretty appalled by the quality of some of the stuff coming out this year, it's actually getting worse some of it.

Gigs and profile are all many of the people within the scene care about, putting out good records seems long down the list for many.

BOA Newbie

Hello there...

i've just signed up so this is my first tentative mooch into the discussion arena!
    To quickly introduce misel, I am a member of the London Techno Collective along with Steve D Bass and the team...
    Ever since I moved to London 4 years ago and discovered the Techno scene down here I fell in love with it and it became my ambition to be a part of it..
    I then met Steve and have since had the luxury of his expertise in the production side of techno. Seeing what Steve has achieved since having listened to his first release "Emotional Soundscapes" before it was even pressed, and also noting that Dirty Bass Records had completely it's own sound, I was inspired to learn properly how to produce and see what I could come up with.. - Proof is in the pudding on that one!

In relation to this discussion, I think there is a lot of frustration out there - we all want the techno scene to be bigger than what it is at the moment and are trying to find ways in which this can be achieved...

On the one hand there are those of us sayin that things aint right! n on the other we're sayin chill out, relax a little and enjoy what u can from what techno has to offer at the moment....

Perhaps if we become a little bit more sure of ourselves then things will start to show up in a more positive light...

What ya fink?
    \"Strength in Numbers...\"

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil
    Theres loads of music that rocks dancfloors but not many that let you get as deep or experimental as Techno does so why waste the opertunity to do somthing different?

The attraction in techno for me is that im free to do what the **** I like with it and still its part of the Techno machine.
    Definitely. Tell that to many established or upcoming Euro Techno producers though. I've been pretty appalled by the quality of some of the stuff coming out this year, it's actually getting worse some of it.

Gigs and profile are all many of the people within the scene care about, putting out good records seems long down the list for many.
    it's crap and, with a few exceptions, its been crap for years.

i mean, if techno lets you be free and do what you want, why do so many people just put the same f***ing records out year in year out? how different is the average techno record from the average record in 2000?

this is EXACTLY why it's worthwhile to be discussing techno intellectually.
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Supreme Freak

....someone said there aint a new movement.

you cant see it yet.

from where i am standing there are plenty of new options available with with to deliver a good set of dance music. So many combinations that the mind boggles. Traditionally there was only vinyl. Now there are limitless options to use (combination of vinyl, CD, Hardware and PC). It would be wise to take advantage of these options in order to gain a competitive edge and stand out from the plethora of standard end-to-end style DJ mixing. Remember people are growing tired of this overload.

As for production there is also a tide change. Labels tend to stick to formulas that work in order to avoid the risk of releasing something new that doesnt sell. Pure business sense that is valid. The punters react to that albeit they are turning away and new people are not attracted due to the "all of it sounds the same" attitude - and rightly so. Just as in any other form of music this "proven" formula approach is loosing faith with people.

Now dare I mention it, but, the digital distribution of music will change this formulaic approach. The punter or consumer (ie: DJ) will decide what works and the artist (and associated management or crew) will have to seek out potential distribution points and develop an individual market. I reckon you wont see big budget marketing hype in the future as the price of per unit sales will be tighter, as is already evident and the music will be more home grown as recording budgets also suffer. It will have to come back to performance and dedicated long term pursuit of an audiences ear. The result of this hopefully will be closer allies between DJs, artists and promoters as they form more powerful movements - hence unity and no more of this in fighting.....positive?

If i was a commercial DJ i would be worried about my future because there will be less money to push commercial remixes onto radio stations also. Therefore they will have to seek out music once again rather than take kick backs from the major labels to push their shit tracks. It will be interesting to see how Ministry of Sound handles this all???

I am rambling on now....but you get the point of what I am trying to say. The whole industry is in a state of change so to think that nothing is happening is rather naive. It would be better to just push in a new direction and not really care about what is "cool" or acceptable. Carve out your space and stake your claim and do the hard yards so that you can develop your own market.....if thats what you want.

Junior Freak

:clap:

Banned

who

Supreme Freak

word Glen.

I've been looking at it from that angle too.

The next wave is building.

Many will be left behind.

Many will ride it.

Supreme Freak

Oh, just to add...

Techno is not even at the front of the new movement this time round which is REALLY REALLY sad :(

But we'll see what happens over the next few years...

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Isaac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exit
    People like cristian vogel and neil lansdtrumm push the boundries of 4/4 techno a bit more

Definitely agree...Vogel is one of my all time favorite producers. His old Djax Records were insanity...
    Vogel never recorded for Djax...

Ultimate Freak

He did however record 5 albums for tresor...

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Does he drive a porshe?
    "The Taoiseach's plans are a quick fix, not a long term solution" - DJ Sunil Sharpe

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by holotropik
    I'm talking about the music, not the industry. We all know the industry is in a state of change.

M.O.D.

We all know the industry is in a state of change.
    that's putting it mildly. :lol:

but maybe new techno artists are not afraid of digital delivery! hahaha. it is dirty_bass who posted this originally after all... ;)
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlavikSvensk

but maybe new techno artists are not afraid of digital delivery! hahaha. it is dirty_bass who posted this originally after all... ;)
    and your point?
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass

and your point?
    whose mine? ...sunil is talking music, and holotropik was talking industry. maybe those two things are not so separate. you are someone who champions digital delivery, and you also started this post on the possible emergence of a new techno movement, so maybe "new techno movement" artists (yeah, that sounds lame to me too, but i can't think of anything better right now) are also people who pioneer the use of mp3s and other media to reinvigorate the industry...

...or maybe not...i'm just throwing that idea out there.

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck
    Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Does he drive a porshe?
    i sure hope so...

BOA Lifetime Member

I`m sure as to the exact point I was making with this thread.
    I think it has a number of points.
    No so much that their is a new movement of techno, but maybe a lot of artists seem to be pulling away from the conventions of techno, but in the same way, are held back for various reasons.

Also that maybe people could do with looking outside of techno now and again.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    I`m sure as to the exact point I was making with this thread.
    I think it has a number of points.
    No so much that their is a new movement of techno, but maybe a lot of artists seem to be pulling away from the conventions of techno, but in the same way, are held back for various reasons.

Also that maybe people could do with looking outside of techno now and again.
    Yes, I definitely think the serious artists out there need to look at alternatives to the club track 12" route, if they have more alternative of different stuff that needs to be heard, but won't sell on vinyl within the techno market as it stands.

Again, I think a good record in 2005 will still stand up and do the business if it's good enough. Punters value a good record... labels aren't repressing all their old winners to beat the band, for the good of their health.

One unfortunate thing nowadays is the common perception techno and the idea engrained in people's minds that the new stuff *can't* be as good as the old stuff. A few good records or a new 'movement' could change that though, and perhaps an element of 'techno' producers just pissing off :)

BOA Lifetime Member

i mean, if techno lets you be free and do what you want, why do so many people just put the same f***ing records out year in year out? how different is the average techno record from the average record in 2000?

this is EXACTLY why it's worthwhile to be discussing techno intellectually.
    Spot on mother fu*ker :clap:

Ultimate Freak

i mean, if techno lets you be free and do what you want, why do so many people just put the same f***ing records out year in year out?
    Because the moment it steps out of the boundary of what the majority of people call "techno" people don't consider it techno... TBH there are so many different takes on what it's about, I've given up writing "Techno" and now i write what I call "Music", it's this genre that encompasses everything...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast