Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    Quote Originally Posted by SlavikSvensk
    bob anal f***ing rocks! he invented jeff mills!
    Yes, using nothing other than trained eyelid muscle control, and 3 years worth of eyebrow dandruff collected in his tearduct.
    and, of course, the leftover nails and woodscrews from his IKEA furniture!
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Ultimate Freak

It`s true. The swedish explosion had a knock on effect for everyone. The popularisation of techno meant that there were more clubs and in effect more gigs, etc. So really without it people that create (an albeit commercial?) buzz, it really does help us all, in a way.
    Otherwise, if it was all overly contemplative, nihilistic, nerds (like myself) then it wouldn`t be the scene it was at it`s height.
    Admittedly it did collapse in on itself, but only really because of the sea of imitators.
    the popularisation of techno?
    sorry but that's the biggest load of bollocks i've ever read. so you're saying techno wasn't "popular" before sweden? give me a break. :roll:

techno never collapsed on itself either, it's still here struggling along like all vinyl based musics. clubwise, in the north at least, there's more nights and more choice than ever.

BOA Lifetime Member

So your saying that beyer records never sold like hot cakes, and all the kids didn`t talk about him all the time.
    It used to be you`d get tech freaks flooding into shops and they`d always ask for the new beyer record.
    They wouldn`t even listen to anything else.
    Like him or not, he had an influence, and you can`t deny it.

That`s like me saying Jeff Mills had no influence in techno, just because I consider his music irrelevant (which I do) and boring twoddle (which I also do).
    However, like it or not, he has had an influence.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

Junior Freak

id say frankfurt commercialized techno, the stockholm movement probably popularised it more but absolutly not in a comercial way, prime did that on there own cutting deals to get it stocked in tescos probably..... what stockholm did was a real breath of fresh air for the scene, tell me what capital or city of less than 1 million can say the same........

Ultimate Freak

So your saying that beyer records never sold like hot cakes, and all the kids didn`t talk about him all the time.
    It used to be you`d get tech freaks flooding into shops and they`d always ask for the new beyer record.
    They wouldn`t even listen to anything else.
    Like him or not, he had an influence, and you can`t deny it.

That`s like me saying Jeff Mills had no influence in techno, just because I consider his music irrelevant (which I do) and boring twoddle (which I also do).
    i never said anything of the sort. i said your comment about beyer being responsible for the popularisation of techno was a load of bollocks which it was. techno clubs were rammed for years before sweden came along. techno records sold like hot cakes for years before beyer came along.

you consider mills irrelevant, big deal. that's totally your loss mate but how anyone can call waveforms, punisher, mecca, other day, growth, x102, extremist etc "boring twoddle" while claiming to be into techno is totally beyond me.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkside
    you consider mills irrelevant, big deal. that's totally your loss mate but how anyone can call waveforms, punisher, mecca, other day, growth, x102, extremist etc "boring twoddle" while claiming to be into techno is totally beyond me.
    :clap:
    Numeric

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Heroes
    id say frankfurt commercialized techno, the stockholm movement probably popularised it more but absolutly not in a comercial way, prime did that on there own cutting deals to get it stocked in tescos probably..... what stockholm did was a real breath of fresh air for the scene, tell me what capital or city of less than 1 million can say the same........
    spot on.

frankfurt was great at first and did a hell of a lot to popularise techno in the uk and europe but too many records over too little time really killed it off before the likes of paul van dyke and crew took over.

those early swedish 12s on planet rhythm are still big favourites and remain as the few beyer records i own to this day. although cari lekebusch was king of sweden back then.

Junior Freak

i think beyer has been important to the scene, as is lekebusch too, but like you said there has been many before, djax had a healthy catalog at the birth of beyers releases consisting of the arly works of clementine, mills ha d the waveforms thing going on whoooooheeee yea man killa stuff, plus mad mike had his submerge mob banging out mental shit, r&s was exposing there side, beltram was knockin up some mad shit too. but all i mentioned had different styles for sure....

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroes
    spot on. the man knows of what he speaks!

besides, the stockholm group was a pretty diverse group back then. and most of the tracks coming out of there were not drumcode style. not sure if people remember cari's mr. barth project on svek, but the two albums--and the two singles with alexi delano--were really, really different...slower and much weirder, but still "big" sounding...and still among my favorites today. there were other labels like lask, loop, plumphouse, borft, etc. that also put out some quality tunes that sounded absolutely 0.000000000 % like drumcode.
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkside
    See, there`s my point. I don`t like mills at all, and you do, your argument about beyer is the same as mine about mills.
    It`s an issue of taste (although I am not a fan of either)
    You don`t have to like mills to be into techno, jesus, get a grip.
    To me, mills sucks, and makes boring bleepy rubbish, to you, maybe Innigo Kennedy sucks, or whatever, it doesn`t mean either of us isn`t into techno.

Back in topic.
    How important is beyer to techno?
    Well, these days, maybe not so important.
    But a few years ago, he got a lot of people raving about it, he filled the clubs, got on radio one, sold a lot of records, and was at the centre of a new sound, which at the time was pretty fresh.
    So historically I would say he is fairly important.
    Not that anyone is any more important than anyone else anyway.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

Irrelevant? Don't be ignorant just because you want to have a different opinion to everyone else ;)
    Mills sure has made a lot of average stuff, but he's a pioneer. And you talk a lot about Inigo Kennedy, A LOT of his material is Mills influenced.

As a matter of interest, what techno do you like? Anyone that hasn't made it 'big' ?

Ultimate Freak

See, there`s my point. I don`t like mills at all, and you do, your argument about beyer is the same as mine about mills.
    It`s an issue of taste (although I am not a fan of either)
    You don`t have to like mills to be into techno, jesus, get a grip.
    To me, mills sucks, and makes boring bleepy rubbish, to you, maybe Innigo Kennedy sucks, or whatever, it doesn`t mean either of us isn`t into techno.
    no, i think inigo is shit hot, he played for us 3 months ago..

and no, you don't have to like mills to be into techno but calling his stuff boring bleep rubbish, well that to me sounds you've picked up on mills' later stuff and written him off which tells it's own story.

my argument about beyer is totally different. you said he popularised techno, i said you're talking bollocks. i never once said i don't like his records.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil

Irrelevant? Don't be ignorant just because you want to have a different opinion to everyone else ;)

I find your comment more ignorant, because it`s based on an an assumption.
    I consider him to be irrelevant. It doesn`t mean he isn`t relevant.
    Irrelevant to ME
    That`s not ignorance.
    He simply has no relevance to me.
    I didn`t get into techno via him at all.
    I`ve heard his stuff from way back to now and I don`t like it.
    It`s purely that.
    I don`t like it.
    Sorry if this is a shock to you, but I can`t stand mills music.
    Doesn`t mean he isn`t relevant to other people.
    Is it some kind of techno passport.
    You can`t like techno unless you acknowledge mills
    :dontevengothere:
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Ultimate Freak

neither did i.

how did you then?

BOA Lifetime Member

I got into techno via industrial then ebm (breakdance and electro somehwere along the way) then free party stuff, then techno. I`ve not always been a fan of techno, I haven`t followed it since I was a lad or anything, I tend to move on to a new style every 3 or so years. Although I seem to have lingered on techno for longer than that.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil

I find your comment more ignorant, because it`s based on an an assumption.
    Irrelevant to ME
    That`s not ignorance.
    I`ve heard his stuff from way back to now and I don`t like it.
    It`s purely that.
    I don`t like it.
    Sorry if this is a shock to you, but I can`t stand mills music.
    Doesn`t mean he isn`t relevant to other people.
    Is it some kind of techno passport.
    You can`t like techno unless you acknowledge mills
    :dontevengothere:
    You may not have got into techno via him, but the use of 'irrelevant' whatever way you meant it is just daft. Have you ever been in a club when "Step To Enchantment" got played, when "Seawolf" was tearing the system apart or when even "The Bells" was being lapped up countless times in the one night? He may do some run of the Mills stuff, sure, I won't disagree there... for someone who prides themselves on their open mindedness I often think you are anything but, otherwise you might have better words to say abouts the Mills', Beyers, Beltrams, Surgeons who get few kudos from you. How about getting familar with some of these people's catalogues? I'm not saying you have to like these people or need to have them in your blood to be 'techno', I just think some of your outlook or opinions on important producers suggest that you aren't familar with too much of their good material.

Ultimate Freak

Irrelevant to ME
    That`s not ignorance.
    so who did you get into that pulled you away from free party scene and into the purer techno? who's relevant to you?

i'm genuinely interested.

BOA Lifetime Member

I am, I just don`t like them
    Never really liked any beltram.
    Never really liked any mills.
    Heard plenty.
    I`ve not dissed Beyer in any way, so you`ve not been reading what I`ve read. I liked the safety sessions stuff with mull, and the album on drumcode beyer did(forgotten what it was called)
    I`ve got plenty of surgeon however, and like a lot of his stuff.
    It`s called taste.
    I am open minded, and listen to loads and loads of music.
    I simply don`t like much of the old techno heroes like mills or beltram.
    And it`s not Daft. It`s not relevant to me. Does that make sense? it`s very simple.
    In the same way that Boyd Rice, Monte Cazzazza, Coum Transmissions, and SPK may not be relevant to you.
    I certianly won`t call you daft for it.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Ultimate Freak

And it`s not Daft. It`s not relevant to me. Does that make sense? it`s very simple..
    makes perfect sense. you're very open minded until it comes to listening to any kind of techno that was made before you got into it a few years ago.

old techno = irrelevant ?????
    very open minded.

BOA Lifetime Member

I am, I just don`t like them
    Never really liked any beltram.
    Never really liked any mills.
    Heard plenty.
    I`ve not dissed Beyer in any way, so you`ve not been reading what I`ve read. I liked the safety sessions stuff with mull, and the album on drumcode beyer did(forgotten what it was called)
    I`ve got plenty of surgeon however, and like a lot of his stuff.
    It`s called taste.
    And it`s not Daft. It`s not relevant to me. Does that make sense? it`s very simple.
    In the same way that Boyd Rice, Monte Cazzazza, Coum Transmissions, and SPK may not be relevant to you.
    I certianly won`t call you daft for it.
    I take your point. "Irrelevant" he may well be in your path to techno, I find it hard to believe how someone into techno may not have been moved by *something* Mills has done? Again, I feel there's stuff you haven't heard or given a chance, I really do.

I thought you said you weren't a fan of Beyer earlier in this thread? That's the kind of thing that made me wonder what you do actually like.

You're entitled not to like the old heroes, but I think you're way too offhand in your analysis of some producers . It's kind of funny when you can give details of what you don't like about a new techno 12", yet when it comes to some of the bigger, long serving established artists, you just say "Not my thing, don't like it", and that's it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast