Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    M.O.D.

Default How important is Adam Beyer to techno?

i figure he has been one of the most influential figures in techno from 1997-2005. a lot of his productions, IMO, are fantastic, but it also seems that he has spawned a lot of mediocre clones...

so i figured he's not only hugely influential, but probably also likely to stir up some passions on the board...

just curious what people think...i don't really want beyer-bashing replies, but well thought out opinions on the man...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Banned

well it was his tunes and his labels that got me into techno so obviously i rate the guy

;)

The Demon Beast

I don't think he gives himself that much credit.
    he's just a guy like the rest of us.
    As far as biters.....
    I havent reall heard people much eminate him.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Ultimate Freak

regardless of whether or not it was your taste or even whether you 'approve' of the mark it left (in most respects, i don't), you can't argue that Drumcode in particular was hugely influential. esp in the early days, '96 - '97. not even a matter of who might have imitated/taken up the sound... i think that label is the reason a lot of sounds later happened.

M.O.D.

well, i'm a huge fan of his slower melodic records...i'm talking about conceiled project pattern 1-4 or stocktown city on rotation. hell...or even the truesoul album.

but it's his drum tracks that were so influential. i LOVE the first safety sessions record, and a couple of the code reds, of course...but generally i don't like these as much as the aforementioned melodic stuff...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Supreme Freak

i'm not sure about his influence on developing new techno sound, but definatly, he has done loads of quality releases and played worldwide, so it makes him a BIG techno head.

Supreme Freak

I think he's very important, I mean he came out of nowhere and really helped develop a style of music. Drumcode is/was (I dunno anymore) the biggest selling techno label and created many important releases.

Like many people, Adam Beyer was the first techno I got into due to someone at a club saying to me "I've got that track, it's cracking and it's by Adam Beyer"

Supreme Freak

He definitly did it for me...

He used to be uge in Holland... and actually still is.. though I´m not into the music he produces at the moment..

Ennieway still playing loads of his old records t... they just rock...
    Even beethoven had his critics!

Ultimate Freak

hes really good but not that important to techno..

i dont think anybody is NOW. back in the day yes..

it could easily survive without anybody now.

M.O.D.

yeah i meant "important to making techno what it is today." influence.

Ultimate Freak

"How important is Adam Beyer to techno?" i would say not important enough to have even made this ( ) lame assed thread. beyer ain't originate shit, he just gave that mass produced, ikea feel to the raw shit glenn already had going imo.

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by deafmosaic
    "How important is Adam Beyer to techno?" i would say not important enough to have even made this ( ) lame assed thread. beyer ain't originate shit, he just gave that mass produced, ikea feel to the raw shit glenn already had going imo.
    most of what you say is subjective, but this is one reason i posted this thread. this thread is about influence, not originality. look back at g's post...he's not a fan, but he sees the point of this thread quite clearly, i think...

maybe you (proverbial you, not you specifically) like beyer, maybe you don't. maybe you credit him--or maybe you blame him--for things we have a lot of--or too much of--today. either way, it speaks to his influence on where techno is today, not a lack therof.

i don't happen to be a beyer-hater, but i also acknowledge that tons of people i think blow are hugely influential, and i also think that its my least favorite beyer records that have shaped today's techno more than the ones i really like.

Junior Freak

The guy is a legend imo, his essential mix got me into techno and is still my favourite ever techno mix. Love his older productions and love the way he is going now, especially the mad eye stuff.

I think he has been hugely influential to techno with all his labels and he has help make techno what it is.

Cannot fault the guy, only wish to see him play more often.

Ultimate Freak

that remix he did of sims manipulated is classic. i lost my mind to that when it was playing in orbit

BOA Lifetime Member

In terms of influence, HUGE
    his tunes and his mixes dominated opinion for ages in the main stream-ish end of techno.
    I`m sure loads of people got into techno because of beyer. Original or not.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by deafmosaic

OK forgive me for you have lost me.

1995 Adam Beyer Releases on Planet Rhythm
    1996 Adam Beyer releases 'Compressed' on Drumcode
    1998 Glenn releases his first tracks on Colors (I think)

Glenn wilson pretty much signed/found/discovered? beyer and liked what he saw/heard.

What are you talking about? Regis , Hawtin & now Beyer 'sux' for copying Glenn Wilson?

:clap:

BOA Lifetime Member

I'm actually not sure I've heard a single one of his tracks. Or, if I have (which is possible I guess), I just didn't know.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

BOA Lifetime Member

Dont you just love those clappy smilies?

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by tocsin
    I'm actually not sure I've heard a single one of his tracks. Or, if I have (which is possible I guess), I just didn't know.
    did you ever go hear hard techno between 1997 and the present? if so, you probably have.

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck
    Dont you just love those clappy smilies?
    yes, they liven up "crappy ass threads"

i also like these...need to use them more...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast