Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303's in techno

BOA Lifetime Member

Default 303's in techno

Is it just me or do techno sets without any 303's tend to get a bit boring? I mean I've gone off UK/London acid techno big time, but european or detroit style stuff is very welcome to break up a techno set a bit. Latin flavored stuff can work too, and I'm not writing off all UK acid techno, though european style stuff certainly goes better with hard techno.

The trouble I have with a lot of UK acid techno is it seems to have a very narrow focus sound wise when there's quite a broad spectrum of sounds you can create with 303's and of course it can be done much more subtley than it tends to be done in UK stuff... Though that's a bit off topic - 303's in techno sets!

Junior Freak

imo (if i understand you) -

303s in london techno are like guitars in rock and roll. it's always going to be a centerpiece.

i think the prominance of 303's the way they are used, is slightly 'demand driven'. acid guys seem to love those screaming 303's like heavymetal guys love a guitar solo.
    Internal Error Records -
    IER-004 Woody Mcbride with Adam Jay and Dj Shiva

The Demon Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Internal Error Records
    imo (if i understand you) -

303s in london techno are like guitars in rock and roll. it's always going to be a centerpiece.

i think the prominance of 303's the way they are used, is slightly 'demand driven'. acid guys seem to love those screaming 303's like heavymetal guys love a guitar solo.
    :clap: :clap:
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

BOA Lifetime Member

pretty much what Internal said, but to say any techno sets without a 303 get boring is an odd one
    upcoming releases : Templ8r 1, Advanced 025, Humanoid 7, Emetic 013 - www.djscottgray.co.uk

BOA Lifetime Member

theres a time and a place for it. I love hard percussive techno but 303's give it colour. So many mixes I hear are too black and white and could really use something like a 303 to break a long groove in a mix. I really enjoy tracks that hint at 303's but don't punish them or use them as pure bassline tools.

Even today I still don't think people truly grasp the diversity of sdound you can get from an acid line and equate acid techno with silly hi-mod stabs and squeaks. I never liked the way richie hawtin and the likes used 303's. That sound sounds a bit static to me. acid basslines can give a drive to tracks like nothing else.

I'm a huge fan of geezers acid lines because they're so driven and full of energy and ego but it sounds a bit hard housey to most "proper" techno heads. I reckon people with 303 phobia should listen to this...

http://www.squatjuice.com/mp3/acidtr...Templehead.mp3

I think it's when DAVE the Drummer had the edge over every DJ on the planet. I've never been quite as impressed with anything since.

Smitted released some of the finest music around. The Last One by DTD is pure genious and fits into god knows how many types of set. Even Judge Jules played it in a prog house set. (which was surprisingly good!)

DDR live is also something I'd play to any 303 hater. sounds like nothing else on earth. purist 909/303 live sets are something I really miss these days. Not enough of it around.

Although I don't rate hi-mod 303's and I'm not the biggest routemaster fan there are still some of the best examples of 303's on there by the fine hand of Lawrie Immersion. Deep and dark. Sucks you in like nothing else.

In short... 303's ****IN RULE. It's an incredibly versatile machine and it's got a sound to suit everyone.

Ultimate Freak

303s...

ffs buy a new synth... the sound has been done to death. the odd acid led tune is cool, but a whole set of it ?????

i'd rather go see Will Smith :roll:

and isnt there a forum dedicated to the little silver box ?
    featured on VOICES Vol 1 - TEMPL8R.1 - V/A - AVAILABLE SEPT

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual
    303s...

ffs buy a new synth... the sound has been done to death. the odd acid led tune is cool, but a whole set of it ?????

ffs get a new attitude. that one's been done to death. the odd bit of 303 cynicism is cool but a full forum of it?????

I'd rather go to bangingtunes.com :roll:

Junior Freak

also. -

a 303 doesnt just have a great sound, but a great interface as well. after you have the pattern set up, there is a selection of fun, effective knobs to twist.

i cant think of any other machine, that instamatically provide such effective knobs.

TWIST THOSE KNOBS!!!!
    Internal Error Records -
    IER-004 Woody Mcbride with Adam Jay and Dj Shiva

BOA Lifetime Member

303s...

I dunno. Under such logic, techno artists should stop using a ****ing tr-909 as well. I hear that more than a 303. ;)
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

M.O.D.

the sound has been used so much that it can be (not is) hard to do something original with it.

comes down to the person using it, i guess...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

BOA Lifetime Member

Not every bleep has to be a first time sound for me to enjoy it. I like a prominent 303 in just about everything. It's like adding pepper to some dishes. Not such a big or novel concept but, sometimes that dash of pepper is all it takes to make the dish that much more tastey.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

M.O.D.

maybe original isn't the best word...maybe interesting is more like it.

303 is a great sound...but kind of cliche now. still can be done right, but often is done wrong...or, to my ears, just kind of boring...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

oldbugger

a 303 in anything except propper acid realy annoys me :dontevengothere:

BOA Lifetime Member

slaggin off the 303 is as much of a cliche these days as the actual sound of it.

:lol:

M.O.D.

i wasn't meaning to slag them off...just point out that you have to be very creative to make them sound fresh at this point. im definately not saying they cannot sound fresh...

ooh that's a double negative... :)

oldbugger

i wasnt meaning to slagg the 303 off either. its great and i love it.

in acid sets only though lol

BOA Lifetime Member

eh, i can live w/out acid sounds in a set, but of course the occaisonal 303 is pretty cool

Ultimate Freak

sorry peeps. not everybody is happy to listen to the same synth sound for the last 15 years :roll:

dont get me wrong. i used to hammer some 303 led tunes.. espesh lots of Missile stuff.... but come on. its been done to death. theres only so much you do with one sound & a step sequencer....

imagine if there was a whole scene dedicated to one Nord Lead patch... it sounds awful dunnit....

Supreme Freak

imagine if there was a whole scene dedicated to one Nord Lead patch... it sounds awful dunnit....

There isn't a whole scene dedicaed to a 303, the london sound was originally based around a 303, however it has since gone onto diversify a lot and a lot of london techno does not use a 303 anymore. Listen to hydraulix, raw and cluster recently... very little 303.

If used at the right time the 303 can make a party go off like no other sound.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by fresh_an_funky_design

There isn't a whole scene dedicaed to a 303, the london sound was originally based around a 303, however it has since gone onto diversify a lot and a lot of london techno does not use a 303 anymore. Listen to hydraulix, raw and cluster recently... very little 303.

If used at the right time the 303 can make a party go off like no other sound.

:roll:

i wasnt talkin bout any london scene. i was talking about 'acid techno' itself..

and i have many Hydraulix & Cluster records that arent acid, though Raw is very acidy at times.

i just think its about time some ppl bought new synths :lol:

(that was a little joke... for all the ppl out there who are about to go off on one ? dont bother...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast