Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default Juan Atkins/UR/Jeff Mills... Who's next?

I've only put the titles as an example but I'm sure there's loads more (so I don't want to turn this into a debate about who is a pioneer)... but who (totally recent) is out there making a SIGNIFICANT difference in techno?

Who exactly is going to move techno to the next level?

Who will go down in the history books as the next Juan Atkins/Underground Resistance/Jeff Mills?

Prince Of Warthogs

i don't know
    love your mum

Prince Of Warthogs

well there's been lot's of hype about all sorts of producers and djs
    but i just don't believe that the music itself is new enough to be groundbreaking anymore.
    it's basically all been done give or take here and there
    y'know
    acid
    minimal
    loops
    percussive
    dark
    hard
    trancey
    clubby
    etc etc etc
    i just can't imagine whwre it can go from here
    unless the rythmn changes????
    or some genius really does come along and show us how it's done
    love your mum

Administrator

i have a real tendancy to agree with you here. we're not going to get another jeff mills again. instead we're going to get ppl who slightly innovate. unfortunately technology is so advanced that we cannot get ppl who can take music technology any further than it actually is.

see what i mean?

Junior Freak

All the guys from 430 West............ the brothers, cant remember their name... Octave One etc...........

Ultimate Freak

takes someone to look outside the box that's all.
    piss and the vultures will pay... coming soon

Administrator

430 West/Octacve One - yeah cool but we're talking about real NEW innovation here. 430 West have been around for years.

Who is gonna stick there neck out here and tell us the future of techno??????????????

Please don't post unless you're looking outside of the 'BOX' .... :D

Ultimate Freak

as long as people who hold the distribution end of things to the labels that only sell and artists that are popular, we will never see one again. not commercially anyways.

Ultimate Freak

The problem is the boundaries people put around themselves between what the like and what they don't like... People can come up with abstract ideas that really work, but it's only when people are open and willing to accept something different, that things will move forward...

I'd like to think we made some ground doing Uglyfunk, the A+R mission for the label was always to find something different.

Junior Freak

Are you talking about who is going to take it to the next level production wise or dj'ing etc.

Richie Hawtin is the one pushing the boundaries of dj'ing , livewise. As in adding in tons of extra stuff , 909 , final scratch ( although using final scratch is a piece of piss)Repeater ,frequency isolators,a brand new one off Allen & Heath which is supposed to give him absolute control over whatever he does on the fly etc etc (not too sure exactly what I am talkign about her as I haven't seen it in action yet , but you can bet your ass it will be amazing).

On the production side , **** knows ,Si Begg perhaps!!! I am getting a bit ****ed off with some of the Techno coming out. I think certain producers are becoming extremely lazy and reusing the same loops and the exact same format. A lot of the swedish producers are going this way , as are a fair few of the Belgians. They both started with a great sound but haven't moved it anywhere. You pick up a record these days and one of the mixes is good and the rest are exaclty the same tribally efforts.

Prince Of Warthogs

i totally agree
    i think bongo samples should be banned ! haha
    and people should be forced to start a clean slate every time they work
    (by the way i read another thread that us london guys start with the same settings everytime, well mark ,you can vouch for this , i never start with anything other than a completely zero'ed mixer and an empty sampler)
    i definately feel that in the last 3 years or so techno has stagnated
    a few people who have broken the mould would be:

si begg (definately but not always for the dancefloor)
    jerome hill
    the projex people
    mr rush?
    perhaps the reel musik guys
    luke slater?

wow i'm struggling to think of more!!
    help me please

most of this stuff is now "wonky" but it still aint that new. si begg has been around for years and years he used to make techno records as buckfunk 3000 on eukatech about 4/5 years ago
    his sound has however moved with the times and prgressed much more than the belgium or swedish sound or the london sound for that matter
    i totally respect these people for that

the point is
    is there just too much of it around now for anyone to make a difference?
    the copycats are as good as perhaps even better than the originators
    everyone runs a record label but plays safe with it's output because the market is small,and getting smaller .this leads to a stranglhold on good music coming out which means we get lot's of same as same as.
    i played with jerome last weekend and rob stow and i heard rob saying that something was "identikit wonky"! so even that style is beginning to be copied and oversold because it makes money.

and there it is folks
    MONEY!!!!!
    the great leveller
    esentially everyone who works in this buisness has to spend a lot of thier time working at it to get anywhere which means you need to get paid right?
    and if you are a record producer you're not going to sit in the studio and hum and har and waste VALUABLE time trying to write something really original (which can be really tough these days) when you can make something that's useful and good for a label straight away.
    i mean it's not like original tracks never get written but esentially everyone in the music buisness has to make this compromise at all levels underground or not.
    i mean if its a hobby fine but when it becomes a job and it quickly does if you love the music as we all do. then money and the lack of it becomes a very important factor in your life.

hence very few boundary breaking genre busting records being made.

that's my view
    phew!
    love your mum

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    if you are a record producer you're not going to sit in the studio and hum and har and waste VALUABLE time trying to write something really original (which can be really tough these days) when you can make something that's useful and good for a label straight away.
    Surely this is the problem though, it can be a bit of a downward spiral, as people keep writing pure product, more people get bored of it, and so more turned off buying records, so the market gets smaller, so then the people think there's less chance of selling more original stuff, so they write more product, which turns people off even more, which leads to less sales, which leads to the producers and distributors thinking they have to play it safer, so less interesting music gets put out, which turns off even more people from buying records which leads to............. and it goes on and on like a downward spiral until there is no market at all for any music.... Letting the tail wag the dog is a dangerous game...

it's good though, that there are people like Si Begg putting out stuff with real diversity, and Label owners such as Jerome, who are in it for good music, deal with people fairly, and above all willing to take a risk...

History was never won by people who played it safe....

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Angrymann
    Richie Hawtin is the one pushing the boundaries of dj'ing
    I've only heard a bit of DE:9 and I have to say, I found it really boring, the music being pretty much like what producers such as Mike Ink have been doing for years.. The one DJ for me who has been really pushing the boundaries has to be Jerome Hill, anyone who can drop a psycobilly track in the middle of a techno set and not only get away with it, but make the crowd rock even harder is definately pushing the boundaries.. Pushing the boundaries 10 times more without the need for loads of technology to fall back on, just 2 decks and pure skills...
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrymann
    On the production side , **** knows ,Si Begg perhaps!!!
    Word, as I said before, Si is one of the true innovators, and not just in a serious geeky way, he's taking the piss the whole way thru...

Junior Freak

I reckon that the new true Techno leaders may well be people who stop using sample loops throughout a whole track and use proper played in music from their kit. Properly creative. Also people from different backgrounds and different influences will bring some new flavour never tasted before?

A lot of people have gotten lazy (I think) - real innovation comes from within (the head) technology is merely a tool/aid to realise this (creativity).

I'm probably gonna get loads of flak from people regards this issue (maybe new topic - audio samples versus midi in) but I notice with music formed mainly from samples there is very little soul, substance and human feeling to a track. When a sound is played in, it comes from within (the heart and mind) and will obviously be reflected by the music and mood.

Maybe this is what techno is, purely robotic and never human? Read some of my previous posts...

I know there are a lot of producers who already do this but maybe you aren't doing it enough?

I think samples should be used to minimum (i.e. f***ed up vocals from a film or something). Maybe 1 or 2 tops. Glenn's previous post about using single snippets at a time is brought to mind... (on the Skull tunes bitchin subject)

To the new true Techno leaders - bring it on!

peace

MM

Supreme Freak

only think the live shit is going to maek the difference. havnt heard anything new for a while now. good, but not new.

BOA Lifetime Member

I won't take long with this ...

Music moves in a eliptic movement so everynow and then needs 2 come back 2 go forward, 2 contract 4 then 2 expand...
    Ups and Downs r the stuff life is made of!

Sure there's loads of bollocks but eventually u need that 2 make it accessible so u can get new blood in...

Sure It really pis** me of that distribuiters r really f*** it up... but if it's becoming obvious it's getting all of the same then that sure also means a lot of people r getting tired of it and going 2 move on ahead... ;)

Z
    Djax-Up Beats rec, Minimalistix Rec, Holtzplatten Rec, Invasion Rec, Fined Rec., bla bla bla

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by miasma man
    I reckon that the new true Techno leaders may well be people who stop using sample loops throughout a whole track and use proper played in music from their kit. Properly creative.

I Agree, I've often wondered how people can get their groove for their track from a whole sampled loop and consider it to be their own.. I mean I have nothing against sampling, and fair play if it's sounding cool, but it's getting to the stage where everyone seems to be doing that, and the only thing they're actually writing note for note is the Kick and hat! I swear by my Nord Modular, and even write my SOUNDS from scratch....

Ultimate Freak

i've tried sampling now.. it just doesn't agree with me.. we sample certain things.. i guess.. but never techno. never anything even closely related to techno.

BOA Newbie

BLUEFACE

BOA Newbie

Let me back that up

by saying that his release on Primevil is one of the first records I have heard that

breaks the barriers of convention and monotony in the techno sound and is truly creative and dynamic....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast