Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default What you love about techno DJ's

OK, imagine your there on the floor. And the DJ does something that really spins you out.

My fave thing was this year @ a festival in Holland when Luke Slater put on 'I'm the one and only dominator'. It totally spinned everyone out!!!

You could have cut the atmosphere wiith a knife!

Supreme Freak

It's closing time, everyone is hot and sweaty, chants of "one more tune fill the venue." The DJ has cheekily taken a step back to talk to the promoters lounging around on stage. He pauses a few moments before moving to the deck, putting a record and and throwing in a big stompy tune. The place goes off again. He then continues to keep playing records until some irate bouncers show up with an evil glint in their eye saying things like "turn that shit off or we'll throw you down some stairs" and other assorted threats until the sound engineer turns the system off.

the big pork pie

ha! That reminds me of the Old Firestation a few weeks ago when I grabbed the mic just as the club owner had managed to get the DJ to stop as he'd gone well past 3am close, and shouted "who fu*king wants one more!" and 500+ people went ape shit & said DJ kicked it back in. The owner looked like he wanted to do me some serious damage & I was given a "word or 2 in my ear" :lol:

Supreme Freak

hearing someone rip it up on 3 decks, cutting between faders and line switches like feck with a strobe going absolutely ape.

the big pork pie

Seeing Patrick Skoog playing on 3 decks and a CDJ and having it full on at many points in the set. Phew! :love:

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Default Re: What you love about techno DJ's

Quote Originally Posted by MARK EG
    OK, imagine your there on the floor. And the DJ does something that really spins you out.

My fave thing was this year @ a festival in Holland when Luke Slater put on 'I'm the one and only dominator'. It totally spinned everyone out!!!

You could have cut the atmosphere wiith a knife!

its always good when somebody plays a classic in the most unexpected places in a set, you can see everybdoy in the clubs looking at each other and going, i know this tune, what is it, and then boom, when it all kicks in, everybody suddenly realises what it is and the whole place starts grinning
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

Supreme Freak

Especially if it's a bit of a chesey track that half the people in the club feel disgusted it got played. Can't beat hearing MC Hammer's Can't Touch This lobbed down your ears. Or something off the wall like Jerome Hill dropping Surfin' Bird.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mirsha
    Especially if it's a bit of a chesey track that half the people in the club feel disgusted it got played. Can't beat hearing MC Hammer's Can't Touch This lobbed down your ears. Or something off the wall like Jerome Hill dropping Surfin' Bird.
    oh yeah, this applies for any classic track, from techno to pop

Supreme Freak

This is a sort of love/hate thing really, but it always amuses me when you get someone like Mills or Surgeon or someone like that who bangs it out hard as nails, and gets crowds moving and jumping around in their thousands for a couple of hours, but in that time never once smile, acknowledge the crowd, or look like they are enjoying themselves even a little bit.

I dont really care, they can do what they want as long the musics good, its just I've never been able to understand how you can play so banging, and yet be so lifeless in the middle of it all. But so many of my favourite DJ's are like this, and anymore, if I went to see Surgeon and he was bouncing about like a loon, I'd be worried that someone might have spiked him or something. Its got to be almost a reasurance of sorts, when the crowd is really going mental and I'm wondering what the hell is going on, I can look up and see the DJ, deadpan and sober, and remember that this is the serious business of techno, and then go off my head again!

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Scaramanga
    This is a sort of love/hate thing really, but it always amuses me when you get someone like Mills or Surgeon or someone like that who bangs it out hard as nails, and gets crowds moving and jumping around in their thousands for a couple of hours, but in that time never once smile, acknowledge the crowd, or look like they are enjoying themselves even a little bit.

I dont really care, they can do what they want as long the musics good, its just I've never been able to understand how you can play so banging, and yet be so lifeless in the middle of it all. But so many of my favourite DJ's are like this, and anymore, if I went to see Surgeon and he was bouncing about like a loon, I'd be worried that someone might have spiked him or something. Its got to be almost a reasurance of sorts, when the crowd is really going mental and I'm wondering what the hell is going on, I can look up and see the DJ, deadpan and sober, and remember that this is the serious business of techno, and then go off my head again!
    if thats how they are behind the decks or whatever, then thats how they are, i know what you mean though, its always fun looking up at the artist and seeing them bouncing around, or smiling and looking at the audience.
    but if they dont feel comfortable doing this, it will look fake.

i know ive seen a few dj's who, when you see them on the dance floor, theyre dancing away, but once behind the decks, they just stand there.
    maybe they become shy, when everybodys watching them, or theyre just concentrating

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man

if thats how they are behind the decks or whatever, then thats how they are, i know what you mean though, its always fun looking up at the artist and seeing them bouncing around, or smiling and looking at the audience.
    but if they dont feel comfortable doing this, it will look fake.

i know ive seen a few dj's who, when you see them on the dance floor, theyre dancing away, but once behind the decks, they just stand there.
    maybe they become shy, when everybodys watching them, or theyre just concentrating
    I dont think you did quite get what I mean, but I probably wasn't very clear. I wasnt having a go, and I wouldent want a DJ to bounce about just to please me. I dont mind at all if they stand up there looking serious and never looking up or anything, I just find it quite fascinating. And as I said, I love it most when I'm really coming up or something, and everything is just totally going off, and there are maybe 1000 people all screaming and waving in the general direction of the DJ, and he/she looks as if they're playing to themselves. Its just a bizarre contrast, and its also something that I have noticed more in techno than any other genre.

As to why - I would say they are probably just concentrating. As I said, I love it, but in a strange way.

Supreme Freak

When I'm out at a club and the music is banging I barely even look at the DJ as I'm too busy bouncing about like a mung loon.

Junior Freak

Si the Sigh Posted: 02 Sep 2005 08:47 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing Patrick Skoog playing on 3 decks and a CDJ and having it full on at many points in the set. Phew!

Thats got to top it for me, blew me away :clap:

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

yeah, sorry francisco, i wasnt having a go, i was giving my ideas on why some artists are like that

BOA Mod

Jeff Mills, the orbit - anytime i saw him play there.

BOA Lifetime Member

/\

aye, seeing jeff knock the crap out of the 909 at the end of the night wearing one of the biggest smiles ever known to man, never be beaten :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mirsha
    Jerome Hill dropping Surfin' Bird.
    :clap:

More of this sort of thing. Playing whatever the f*ck makes people smile and bounce around instead of trying to stick within your own sub-sub-sub-genre stroking your beard. It's not all there is to techno of course but playing a Jerome mix (particularly with that tune in) to my mates at every opportunity has got a lot of people who 'don't like techno' out to a night from where some of them believe it or not have changed their tune and admitted that well, just maybe, they hadn't quite given it enough of a chance before...

Oh wow - myspace :coffee: http://www.myspace.com/robsoliton

The Universe

I love their skllz,attitude and relation with audience

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MITA
    I love their skllz,attitude and relation with audience
    agreed

BOA Lifetime Member

I love that "I'm only human" shrug that Chris Liberator does whgen he knocks the decks and f*cks the mix up :)

I love a DJ who's really into their tunes and I especially love it when the elder DJ's let out their inner 12 year olds. It's really funny.

I love a DJ who makes an effort to entertain as well as mix tunes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast