Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Zillions. Never saw saunderson at The Complex (which is what I assume you're referring to when you say "that crappy overdone place in angel" - incidentally, I think it was one of Londons best ever Techno venues, but anyway :lol: ) but spent many, many nights there. Mills at Lost in Nov 98, you must have the wrong year - he was boycotting the U.K at that time, and his 1st gig back was at Mass in Feb 99 - perhaps you mean in 97, in the awesome Royal Victoria Docks venue? (With Broom and Autechre in Room 2, and Tanaka also in the main room?) Absolutely seminal night, I wish that many, many, many of the "younger generation" of techno fans could have been there, it was that much of a milestone for what Techno is all about. Pure class, and back then, nobody could touch Mills, nor Lost for that matter. :clap: :love:
    I have too many massive nights that shine in my memory, every Lost since 97, Club UK, Complex, Sabresonic, Strutt, Analogue City, Eurobeat 2000, Ultimate Base...the list is absolutely endless.

M.O.D.

yeah i did get that wrong...i mean in nov 97...the time you mention with fumiya tanaka and with autechre in the lounge area...that was a hell of a night, for sure

for some reason i seem to have dyslexia about 97 and 98...yarg...BUT...on the boycott thing...i did happen to see him spin at this internet cafe on golden square where he was also displaying some of his purposemaker photos, and i'm almost certain that was in spring 1998...though it wasn't a club...

and yes, the complex. my problem with the place was not the djs...i also saw joey beltram spin a good set there, as well as advent live another time...i just found the space itself overdone...always thought it was a bit too much for my tastes...my favorite at the time was the end...

i was at ultimate base every week...one of the yank students who got there before 9 to beat the cover ;)

man, those were the DAYS, bro!
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Junior Freak

The Complex was OK - saw Mills down there and can just remember seeing steam pouring out of a side door and 7am daylight creeping into the place.

However, Sven Vath at Orbit in Leeds 1995 ish seeing people hanging from the balcony pumping their fists like their lives depended on it or
    Luke Slater at Glastonbury (199?) top the list.

BOA Lifetime Member

Slightly off topic - that´s the first I ever heard of a Mills UK boycott. What was that all about??

BOA Newbie

Default Top 10 DJ sets...

1. Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering 1997: Kraftwerk then Mills? Heaven. Millls was sublime. The event was the beginning of the end...

2. Daft Punk @ Tribal Gathering 1996: No one had heard of Daft Punk, the tent was half empty and i witnessed the best live set to date. Blew everyone away with a full on techno assault. They never reproduced that sound in any of there tracks or matched that performance. They did an essential mix that was dire and lost the plot years ago.

3. Sasha @ Space, Ibiza 1995. He played in the inside room which was then brilliant and played 3 hours of acid house, it was amazing.

4. Speedy J @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 2002?. A live set via 2 x SU700. It was ridicules. Hawtin came on after and it was embarrassing.

5. Dave Clarke @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 1997. A white screen and 1 DC, blinding! Followed by Chris Liberator who also played a blinder! Came out and was told Diane was dead....

6. DJ Rush & Beyer @ The End, London 1997?. Think it was 1997. DJ RUSH followed by 3 hours of 3 deck magic, by the then master, Beyer.

7. Adam Beyer @ The Orbit, Morley. NYE 1998?, Again, think it was 1998. Beyer was electric, IMHO his best ever performance.

8. Riche Hawtin @ Cocoon - Amnesia, Ibiza 2002. A blinder, finished off with his own rendition of 'Dark & Long' and room went ballistic.

9. Darren Emerson @ Bugged Out, Liverpool 1999 - Emerson came on after DC who had come on after LS live set. Given LS live set was brilliant, he played a fantastic set to end the night. The other room Derrick May has cleared the dance floor, again.

10. Iain Von Trapp (RIP) @ Anywhere. Every time I heard Iain played learnt something. A true innovator and a true inspiration.

Nothing in the last 5 years has really inspired be and as for minimal 'ket' techno...hhmmm

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by teknorich
    Slightly off topic - that´s the first I ever heard of a Mills UK boycott. What was that all about??
    It was because someone threw a bottle of water at his mate Laurent garnier at the orbit one night I think. If my memory serves me rightly I heard this in the superconductor telephone interview he did

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBall
    Jeff Mills vs Basic Channel at Lost years back.

Stupid. Just STUPID.

Top nite dude :) very

Axis party @ LoSt in 95 I think :cheese: Robert Hood live then mills what great party :)

The Demon Beast

Green Velvet @ Limelight 2001 I believe.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerOfSam
    Green Velvet @ Limelight 2001 I believe.
    sh*t...where the f*** was i?? was living in nyc then, went to limelight tons...not sure how i missed that...doh

saw him in detroit in 96 and in boston in 98...awesome...
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Junior Freak

Dave Clarke @ DEMF 2002
    Carl Cox @ Motor, Detroit 1999
    Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering, London 1997
    Richie Hawtin @ From Our Minds To Yours, Detroit 2001
    Troy Pierce @ Weekend, Berlin 2005

Ultimate Freak

mills @ tg 97
    mills @ orbit 93-98 everytime
    grooverider + nipper @ phobia leeds 92? ish
    frank de wulf @ ark leeds 92
    oscar mulero @ darkside march 2004
    dj bone @ innercity records birthday party leeds 1999

don't get out of leeds much

BOA Newbie

A few to mention. I wasn't at either josh wink/dave clarke essential mix or speedy j haffentunnel 1200bpm oh and Anthony Rother sonne mond sterne but they are my favorite recordings I have
    Plastikman at phoenix 96 and kraftwerk march 2005 were prob my most treasured. Plastikman in 96 was at a time when we are all finishing school and that was "the summer" most of my mates at phoenix wanted to see indie and i fully found dance music on my own and I think phoenix was a lucky break, the line up was amazing

Supreme Freak

surgeon @ 12 years tresor (march 03)

not very old but my first time at tresor and ill never forget it. just the perfect set for me. old stuff, fresh stuff (actual at 2003) and some of his unique reworks. i still enjoy listening to it nowadays.
    "Techno Music is my Heritage. Techno is not dead DAMM IT!!" - Omar-S

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DrewDavid
    Derrick May at the first DEMF - what was that, 2001? He started the set off with James Brown The Payback and ended it with a freestyle by the last remaining member of The Last Poets. When GrooveTech was still around, they had Realplayer video and audio archives including this particular set by May - I used to watch it over and over because I was amazed at the dexterity and variety of music played.
    Thats a deadly set alright!! Wouldnt be May's best but tune selection was amazing!!

I dont know if its the very best one I have ever seen but it's definitely up there and for that reason deserves a mention..................Kan Shinomura - Live @ The Village, Dublin

The lad ****in' rocked the place, wasn't expecting it at all!!! :clap:
    www.giveusthenight.com - support the cause!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide
    It was because someone threw a bottle of water at his mate Laurent garnier at the orbit one night I think. If my memory serves me rightly I heard this in the superconductor telephone interview he did
    Not quite.
    He wasn't happy with the way he was treated at U.K immigration, was complaining of being detained for unnecessary periods of time, every time.

Prince Of Warthogs

ritchie hawtin as plastikman
    megadog , brixton academy , 1995

a random guy turned round to me half way through and said
    "this is f%%cking brilliant !!!!"

all i could do was nod

it was just too brilliant for words
    love your mum

Prince Of Warthogs

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity
    Quote Originally Posted by The Divide
    Not quite.
    He wasn't happy with the way he was treated at U.K immigration, was complaining of being detained for unnecessary periods of time, every time.
    yeah i remeber that one
    love your mum

Prince Of Warthogs

Default Top 10 DJ sets...

Quote Originally Posted by rca
    1. Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering 1997: Kraftwerk then Mills? Heaven. Millls was sublime. The event was the beginning of the end...

2. Daft Punk @ Tribal Gathering 1996: No one had heard of Daft Punk, the tent was half empty and i witnessed the best live set to date. Blew everyone away with a full on techno assault. They never reproduced that sound in any of there tracks or matched that performance. They did an essential mix that was dire and lost the plot years ago.

3. Sasha @ Space, Ibiza 1995. He played in the inside room which was then brilliant and played 3 hours of acid house, it was amazing.

4. Speedy J @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 2002?. A live set via 2 x SU700. It was ridicules. Hawtin came on after and it was embarrassing.

5. Dave Clarke @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 1997. A white screen and 1 DC, blinding! Followed by Chris Liberator who also played a blinder! Came out and was told Diane was dead....

6. DJ Rush & Beyer @ The End, London 1997?. Think it was 1997. DJ RUSH followed by 3 hours of 3 deck magic, by the then master, Beyer.

7. Adam Beyer @ The Orbit, Morley. NYE 1998?, Again, think it was 1998. Beyer was electric, IMHO his best ever performance.

8. Riche Hawtin @ Cocoon - Amnesia, Ibiza 2002. A blinder, finished off with his own rendition of 'Dark & Long' and room went ballistic.

9. Darren Emerson @ Bugged Out, Liverpool 1999 - Emerson came on after DC who had come on after LS live set. Given LS live set was brilliant, he played a fantastic set to end the night. The other room Derrick May has cleared the dance floor, again.

10. Iain Von Trapp (RIP) @ Anywhere. Every time I heard Iain played learnt something. A true innovator and a true inspiration.

Nothing in the last 5 years has really inspired be and as for minimal 'ket' techno...hhmmm
    like the sound of these gigs
    wish i had been there
    but i do know about the chris liberator gig at atomic jam , in fact he played with jeff mills there once too , amazing to think of it now isn't it?
    love your mum

BOA Lifetime Member

the best gig i have seen would have to be chris liebeng and speedy j at i love techno 2005. but it was fukin A. 4 hours of heaven
    **NEW MYSPACE** www.myspace.com/filthmongerdj -

:) :)New TECHNO MIX OCT 2009 + setlist available here http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum...154#post708154 :) :)

BOA Lifetime Member

the best gig i have seen would have to be chris liebeng and speedy j at i love techno 2005. but it was fukin A. 4 hours of heaven
    **NEW MYSPACE** www.myspace.com/filthmongerdj -

:) :)New TECHNO MIX OCT 2009 + setlist available here http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum...154#post708154 :) :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast