Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    M.O.D.

Default What was the best set you ever saw/heard?

by whom and what made it so special?
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

M.O.D.

come on people!
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Ultimate Freak

probably d may at the metroplex anniversary party, detroit.. i think it was '96. or else the first time i saw him at the music institute in 1988. that was of course life changing.

there were also some extremely memorable richie hawtin sets in the early-mid 90's. only in detroit. or the first plastikman performance in 94.

why? becuase for those hours nothing else in the world mattered.

M.O.D.

were you at sickness and recovery, by any chance?

one of the best i've seen was the first time i heard steve rachmad. this was in amsterdam in 1997, he was on 3 decks and was mind blowing. i've seen him since and he's been solid, but nothing like that time.

The Demon Beast

Glenn Frisca @ Limelight circa the mid 90's
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by SlavikSvensk
    were you at sickness and recovery, by any chance?
    yup. mills and hawtin in the middle of a field. who woulda thunk it.

Jak O'Lantern and Jak's Bak and Jak 6 and a few others kicked it's butt tho =)
    and then there was the Free Barn Party...
    or The Lodge. oh mama.

BOA Lifetime Member

Frank De Wulf in 1993 with 1500 nutters going mental to the acid, trance & hardcore he was dropping, finishing his 1st set of the night with moby's thousand.

Derrick May & DJ Huggy at back to basics. It was just one of those nights where everything clicked

DJ Bone a few years ago and I just remember the way he moulded Man With The Red face so seamlesly with Jaguar - the place just went mental

M.O.D.

another couple from me:

derrick may at some really sh**y bar in pontiac michigan in 1996. he played all house but it was electric.
    laurent garnier at the end in london 1997. 7.5 hours, he played eveything.

BOA Newbie

Derrick May at the first DEMF - what was that, 2001? He started the set off with James Brown The Payback and ended it with a freestyle by the last remaining member of The Last Poets. When GrooveTech was still around, they had Realplayer video and audio archives including this particular set by May - I used to watch it over and over because I was amazed at the dexterity and variety of music played.

Ultimate Freak

heh.. i remember the first few bars of James Brown coming over the PA.. :)

speaking of, while it was his typical non-DJ DJing style, Carl Craig's set at Fuse-In this year was really special. first time back at the fest since You Know When, evening slot on the waterfront and he just played a bunch of kickass tracks. the joint went off.

M.O.D.

haven't heard carl in years...probably would appreciate it more now that last time. the older i get, the more i appreciate mixes made for the tracks rather than the skillz...

Ultimate Freak

YES--that garneir set was truly something. funny, was just thinking about it earlier today.

other toppers for me would have to be richie's last set at twilo and jeff mills in kalamazoo, mich at the end of the 90's.

Administrator

jeff mills - tribal gathering. but i just dont know the year!

i was almost crying. :)

BOA Lifetime Member

DJ Scribble doing the slot before a particularly bland Chemical Borthers live PA in NYC at the Roxy in 1996. Mixed everything but the kitchen sink together and did DJ tricks up the ass. Ended up stealing the show from the Chemical Brothers and packing the floor more than they did as well.
    A person belonging to one or more Order is just as likely to carry a flag of the counter-establishment as the flag of the establishment, just as long as it is a flag. --P.D.

Ultimate Freak

Autechre live, detroit and toronto, early 1996.
    a richie hawtin set @ Alvin's in detroit sometime in the 90's -- he played 100% house
    D Wynn at that corner bar on jefferson.. is it an irish pub or an oyster bar? again, some misc time in the 90's
    Every night at the first incarnation of.. what was it called, Flow?... sam & dean's night above Nikki's, fall/winter 1995.
    DJ Bone in the Subject Detroit studios, May 2005. drunk as a skunk, audience of 4 or 5. =)

another couple from me:

Did you happen to catch Jeff Mills utterly destroy the main room that night? (12th Feb 97)
    That's my most memorable performance - totally out of control.

Supreme Freak

Jeff Mills vs Basic Channel at Lost years back.

Stupid. Just STUPID.

M.O.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity
    another couple from me:

Did you happen to catch Jeff Mills utterly destroy the main room that night? (12th Feb 97)
    That's my most memorable performance - totally out of control.
    you know, i think it was actually in early 1998, as i moved to london in august of 1997... i wasn't at the feb night

Boo!

M.O.D.

sounds killer though...i assume you and i were at a lot of the same nights back then...how about kevin saunderson at that crappy overdone place in angel in 1998? jeff mills at lost nov 1998? other nights?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast