Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Supreme Freak

Default Repressed Techno

mark of genius or lazy unimaginative money grabbers ?

i dont buy so much vinyl these days.. quite frankly, ive heard it all before lol and every time i see a bunch of repressed old techno hit the stores, it makes me even LESS likely to buy ANY vinyl.. anyways, with a copy of Reason 3 & Live 5 why buy ANOTHER Liebing or Speedy J 12 when you can make your own ?

but, i digress.. repressed vinyl.. personally, i think its a sign of apathy & money grabbing. but thats just me... ;)

D I S C U S S

Junior Freak

i dont buy so much vinyl these days
    What are you playing then,old records????
    with a copy of Reason 3 & Live 5 why buy ANOTHER Liebing or Speedy J 12 when you can make your own ?
    Yeah but your not Liebing or Speedy!!!!!
    Think about people who live of producing and DJ-ing?????
    What point of Dj-ing if you don't give a shit about the oders people work and the coulture of techno?????
    Emagine that everybody thinks like you( I wont buy records no more ill make my own Evolution or Kreck) would there be techno scene???

BOA Lifetime Member

I'm happy to see labels pursuing digital routes, rather than just repressing.
    Whack it up on MP3. Sell it for all eternity, with no storage, distribution or production costs.

Fed up with Vinyl in general. Try and stick to MP3s and CDs these days.

BOA Lifetime Member

i love it when a classic i want is repressed but hate it when a classic i have is repressed :cheese:

Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by marginmaster
    i love it when a classic i want is repressed but hate it when a classic i have is repressed :cheese:
    Couldn't have said it better!

I download a lot of music, re-edit other people's music in ableton, and even make ham-fisted attempts at making music myself... But I don't half love the wax!! I could never make the switch totally...

Deceptacon

repressing makes classics available to people who never had a chance to get them first time round. eg: stayupforever - i was lucky to be around when the original rabbits name was released but who are we to block somebody new to techno buying it at a price thats not daylight robbery.
    And so what if labels are money grabbing - they aint charities and from what i hear its hard enough to make money on vinyl anyway these days.
    if you've got a big seller and its outta print then repress it, sell a couple of thousand more copies and generate some more income so that the label can keep releasing new stuff aswell.

music is for all of us, not just the elite that happened to buy a copy of whatever for two farthings.
    and as for this whole "e-bay" rip off thing!!! jeez that fcuking annoys me. if you buy a record as a financial investment you really dont deserve to be buying it in the first place.

rant over.

Prince Of Warthogs

Default Repressed Techno

Quote Originally Posted by module
    mark of genius or lazy unimaginative money grabbers ?

i dont buy so much vinyl these days.. quite frankly, ive heard it all before lol and every time i see a bunch of repressed old techno hit the stores, it makes me even LESS likely to buy ANY vinyl.. anyways, with a copy of Reason 3 & Live 5 why buy ANOTHER Liebing or Speedy J 12 when you can make your own ?

but, i digress.. repressed vinyl.. personally, i think its a sign of apathy & money grabbing. but thats just me... ;)

D I S C U S S
    well i f we all had to live by your rules
    there would be no techno at all....ever.
    in fact underground labels would never have even got off the ground.
    what is it with you man? i mean do you begrudge the postman for making a living? or is it just musicians you've got it in for?

and whats all this about you/anyone making records as good as speedy j or chris leibing, just cos you have a copy of reason?

oh yeah mate it's that simple.....no really go on ......you do it
    oh yeah and why don't you rewind your life ten years so you can do it before they did??

there was a time machine for sale on ebay
    try that maybe.

jesus!

i know your comments were intended as a bit of fun , but i'm sorry it got me a bit offended here.

;)
    love your mum

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Lujo
    i dont buy so much vinyl these days
    What are you playing then,old records????
    with a copy of Reason 3 & Live 5 why buy ANOTHER Liebing or Speedy J 12 when you can make your own ?
    Yeah but your not Liebing or Speedy!!!!!
    Think about people who live of producing and DJ-ing?????
    What point of Dj-ing if you don't give a shit about the oders people work and the coulture of techno?????
    Emagine that everybody thinks like you( I wont buy records no more ill make my own Evolution or Kreck) would there be techno scene???

i'm sorry... maybe the sentence construction is throwing me, but this sounds like absolute gibberish.

thats total nonsense. i dont even know where to begin to explain to you what a totally idiotic staement that is...

no offence ;)

Supreme Freak

i'm not talking about the buying of a repress...

i'm talking about lazy labels jus repressing hits...

you ppl need to lighten up.. especially mrdrummer there. i dont begrudge/hate anyone. i'm a very laid back person. maybe you run a label that has recently repressed & you feel i'm having a go at you. if so.. ok. right to reply & all that innit.

look, ten years ago, it had to be vinyl. there was no cdj, or laptop. now there is. and as such, ppl arent forced to buy up one format. and its very easy to right your own trax & play them out of a laptop. couldnt do that ten years ago.

i dont what you ppl been up to,but you need to relax & take this for what it is.. a brief thought on a forum, not a presonal attack on 'the scene' which, quite frankly, can go suk eggz.

as for Liebing & Speedy J... yep. i like my tracks better at the moment. and thats what i'll be playing out :)

Metalisms is good n all... but really.. how many Speedy J trax does a man need... when ya have most of his work from 95 onwards, ya kinda want to hear summat else ya know ;)

but yeah.. it s jus a thread... loosen up guys :D

Deceptacon

"repressed vinyl.. personally, i think its a sign of apathy & money grabbing"

i think a lot of producers/label-owners on here might find that comment a little offensive. davethedrummer is one of those label owners and, although i'm not speaking for him, i can see why he wouldn't like it.

if somebody told me i was doing my job with apathy i'd probably have 1 or 2 questions for them.

if you meant it light heartdly then you should look at how you're phrasing your words. its very easy on a forum to come across the wrong way.

BOA Lifetime Member

Erm, if you think you can make stuff as phat and full and solid as Speedy J and Liebing with Reason, I would dearly love you to put your money where your mouth is and demonstrate your profound skill.
    I`m pretty sure (unless you are genuinely talented, we shall see) that Punter will prefer some liebing and Speedy J bangin out the speakers, than a future of amateur stuff made by loads of DJ`s who think they know better on Reason (what a god aweful piece of software).

As for represses, yeah, whatever, don`t buy em if you don`t want em.
    Supply and demand.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Lifetime Member

I think repressing is just a sign of realising that there are more people out there who want to buy the record than originally anticipated.

Jus' good business sense - supply and demand and all that.

I think everyone should be forced to release their entire back catalogue on MP3. At gunpoint, if necessary.

BOA Lifetime Member

As a side point, although I do kinda agree about the state of the techno scene and releases these days, I have no real problem with vinyl. However, what I do see is peoples apathy due to the fact that every release sounds the same. That`s because there are loads of people with a few bucks who think they can do it, they then go ahead and copy the sound of producer X (on reason maybe), and then release a record.
    The distributers put it out, cos it`s playing safe (and distributers rarely take a risk), and so we have an army of techno clones all putting out the same old crap.
    The problem isn`t vinyl, it`s what is getting put onto it, the scene has almost turned into a kind of fanboy thing.
    A bit like fanboy literature for films, where people release their own, self penned scripts of say "lord of the rings 4, opps they found another ring", thinking they can better tolken or whatever.
    I mean, the scene shouldn`t be elitist, but also, due to the nature of the music, people in it should want to be doing something different rather than just playing safe and cloning their heroes or the latest trend.
    Leave that shite for the pop charts.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_bass
    As a side point, although I do kinda agree about the state of the techno scene and releases these days, I have no real problem with vinyl. However, what I do see is peoples apathy due to the fact that every release sounds the same. That`s because there are loads of people with a few bucks who think they can do it, they then go ahead and copy the sound of producer X (on reason maybe), and then release a record.
    The distributers put it out, cos it`s playing safe (and distributers rarely take a risk), and so we have an army of techno clones all putting out the same old crap.
    The problem isn`t vinyl, it`s what is getting put onto it, the scene has almost turned into a kind of fanboy thing.
    A bit like fanboy literature for films, where people release their own, self penned scripts of say "lord of the rings 4, opps they found another ring", thinking they can better tolken or whatever.
    I mean, the scene shouldn`t be elitist, but also, due to the nature of the music, people in it should want to be doing something different rather than just playing safe and cloning their heroes or the latest trend.
    Leave that shite for the pop charts.
    true, but its very hard to do that all the time - especially when you spend your days listening to your fave artist. kind of a viscious circle really!!

funny thing is db - you commented on one of my tracks saying i had my own sound but i'll hold my hands up and admit that i actually set out on a perticular style of techno for the track... the mind boggles!!!

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech

funny thing is db - you commented on one of my tracks saying i had my own sound but i'll hold my hands up and admit that i actually set out on a perticular style of techno for the track... the mind boggles!!!
    damn... if i cant even copy well.. whats the point :lol: :lol: :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Can see you point, but I blame vinyl.

Profit margins with vinyl are too high - you need to guarantee a certain amount of sales to make it profitable, or even worthwile. When you need to sell 1000 copies the safest option is to go with the one you know, rather than take a gamble with the one you don't. This stops new talent from getting out, and inadvertently supports band wagon blues and cloning.

£7 for one vinyl record is obscene when you can buy the track digitally for 99p.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace
    Can see you point, but I blame vinyl.

Profit margins with vinyl are too high - you need to guarantee a certain amount of sales to make it profitable, or even worthwile. When you need to sell 1000 copies the safest option is to go with the one you know, rather than take a gamble with the one you don't. This stops new talent from getting out, and inadvertently supports band wagon blues and cloning.

£7 for one vinyl record is obscene when you can buy the track digitally for 99p.
    7 quid is a lot of money to pay for vinyl.

i still buy all my tunes on vinyl though, yet to go digital, may do in the future but cant see myself at the mo

i see myself as a collector of vinyl aswell as playing the vinyl

have never sold a record to this day

The Universe

me think it's ok.

it's normal and good if u have missed some earlyer releases,or classics

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by MITA
    me think it's ok.

it's normal and good if u have missed some earlyer releases,or classics
    thanks mita... reasonable answer without the lecture ;)

and to db... my point with Reason (or Ableton or Live or Cubase...) is that i can then make a track i want.. Speedy J & Liebing where an example.. i'm sure i could replace those names with the right 2 and you would agree..

for the record too, any of my own work has went down a storm when its been played out.. and yes.. some of it is as phat dirty ;)

but again, thats off topic. and whats your beef with Reason lol that really amuses me... its one tenth of the tools i have at my disposal..

opinions man.. its about opinions. and as much as it may kill you, you have to accept other ppl have different opinions. jus cos yuo say an app is terrible, does not Gospel make.

with all due respect :cheese:

BOA Lifetime Member

damn... if i cant even copy well.. whats the point :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Well quite often inspiration can lead to originality, you may well have copied something in the making of that tune, but it ended up sounding pretty individual.
    I mean, it`s pretty hard to sound totally original, as everyhting, they say, has been done.
    But there is a huge difference between influence, and imitation.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast