Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    BOA Mod

before, dj used to sell those mixtapes from the back of their cars. kids would get new stuff, and new names (both djs and producers) would get chance to showcase their skills.. labels would pick some from those tapes...
    but, it took them years to get out of the underground and get recognition, and equal worth as albums..
    now, early mixtape djs are considered to be stars and labels are hiring them to put out their new releases on streets like that

now, lets get back on CD DJ-s.. there is more and more of them, lets not get into reasons why or do you like it or not.. they are here to stay, period.
    lets say they want to play legal music. how many good compilations, unmixed is there on the market, so they can use it? how many good tracks isnt getting released on cds?
    Jacbri @ Proton Radio - every 3rd Thursday at 12:00 AM EST / 05:00 GMT
    X-Music @ Techno.FM - every 1st Tuesday at 12:00 PM EST / 18:00 GMT

oldbugger

i dont see why you let it get to you. did you ever tape stuff as kids? of course you did.
    home taping was supposed to kill music, luckily it never did neither will a few illegal downloads.

if i was making a living from music i'd be happy with that i was doing what i loved be thankful i was leaving an impression on the kids that were stealing my music. thats all it will be...kids. they wouldnt of bought your record anyway so i very much doubt they are taking anything away from you at all.

i'd be happy that people wanted to steal my music actually. imagine if nobody gave a shit what you were doing at the moment. then you really would be pissed off. just a thought ;) (i may happen soon)

or you could always go and get a real job like me and work for a living :razz: :lol:

the above post is not to be taken too seriously ;)

BOA Mod

i know there are smilies but someone could get you wrong ;)

i do believe mr drummer and lots of people out there are working their ass off and are lucky to do what they love.. but luck doesnt pay your bills..
    on the other hands, either in mainstream, underground, overground.. it is live performance that is paying your bills, not releases, we all know that. I mean, isnt that the reason why so many producers get into dj-ing and live PA-ing?

on the other hand, dont forget there are also producers that are working on cracked, illegal software. I wonder how many of them claim their right to get paid for production too, hm...

oldbugger

i just fid it funny the way certain dj's claim how thwey have it so tough.

for ****s sake. playing a few records up and down the country for money is most peoples idea of heaven. one 2 hours set is worth more than most people on here probarbly earn a week.

BOA Lifetime Member

I think its harsh that people are getting burned on this, and it must really sting that this was with promos but I really think that the horse is out the gate on this one.

You are never going to be able to restrict access to music like you could 10 years ago.
    The moment something goes on sale someone will sample it and distribute it. It becomes digital even if you only released it in vinyl.

If you can't beat'em, join 'em. Sell your tracks online, cut down on production and distribution costs and use music more as self promotion.
    The more people that know and love you the more will pay to come and see you perform.

I feel for people on this but I don't think anything is going to stop this.
    Sorry to be a downer.

Supreme Freak

It must really suck to find your stuff getting shared out on the net before its even released. I would definately be pissed off too. But I think people go a bit overboard with it all. As has already been said, nothing can be done about it.

I really have to echo what oldbugger is on about as well. I really really dont mean any disrespect here at all - but - there are a lot of us in this scene who dont make a living from techno. I work all week in a job that I hate, but I still find time to make tunes and promote nights as well. I never expect anything back from any of that really, thats what the day job is for, all the music stuff I do is cause thats what I enjoy doing with my spare time, and thats how I choose to spend my hard earned cash.

I have many times payed a DJ more for an hour and a half of playing records than I earn in an entire MONTH. So when I hear people moaning about illegal downloads, I feel sorry to a point, but then I think, well at least you arent slaving in a shop serving the cunting public all day for barely over minimum wage.

Seriously - those of you who make a living from this thing we call techno, even if you make what you consider to be a shit living from it, I bet you make a whole shitload more than I do, whether your tunes are getting downloaded illegally or not. Doesent make illegal downloading ok, but how could anyone seriously think that filesharing could destroy underground music?

BOA Newbie

dave: been preaching the same for ages now... but you know what i realised? everybody talks but not so many cares. like 'yes yes its ashame' and then those guys have all soulseek and download like crackheads.

its a matter of time before people start realizing they have to pay for their music. in fact its already starting well on various digital shops, we sell more and more of our stuff online. the more we talk about it the more people will be conscient.

i also realised recently that alot of people in eastern europe and south america dont have access to credit cards... it becomes too easy for them to get the tracks without paying.

i saw many of my releases appearing on soulseek before i even get the promos. some assholes get the promos and rip them all for sure!

BOA Mod

you wouldnt believe how big taxes djs are paying in eastern europe for few ordered ninyls. same stories i heard for south american guys, but the amounts of money in question are bigger. its one of the reason some of them decided its easier to play on cds.

but, it also a part of market that should be covered, and it isnt right now.

making music available legally online and through more cd compilation + getting fake djs out of work, thats the solution...

BOA Lifetime Member

making music available legally online and through more cd compilation + getting fake djs out of work, thats the solution...
    Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more.

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Quote Originally Posted by Miromiric
    did any of you ever download a dj set? do you realise it is as illegal as downloading tracks? how about warez?
    did any of you ever let their mixes go online for other people to download them, without paying royalties to producers in your mix? do you realise how illegal is that?
    yes downloading sets is illegal, but i honestly feel it helps the scene alot.
    its good promotion for the dj/artist, plus it helps to sell records, how many mixes have we all listened to and thought, ooh, whats that tune ?
    then we go out and buy it
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

oldbugger

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man
    did any of you ever download a dj set? do you realise it is as illegal as downloading tracks? how about warez?
    did any of you ever let their mixes go online for other people to download them, without paying royalties to producers in your mix? do you realise how illegal is that?
    its good promotion for the dj/artist, plus it helps to sell records, how many mixes have we all listened to and thought, ooh, whats that tune ?
    its still illegal. we cant have one rule for one ane one rule for another. maybe there artist that are pissed off their tunes are getting heared all over the internet from the latest dave the drummer set thats avaiilable from just about anywhwere online.

personally i would be happy. but its exactly the same.

a lot of artist (like dave the drummer for example) have a lot to be thankful for from the internet making their careers bigger and more profitable IMO.

dave the drummer was just an example by the way.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyedgy

I disagree, i think its a reality of people being able to get something for free. Market place means an exchange of goods.
    It is a reality of the market place, because it affects sales, it's exactly the point that money isn't changing hands that makes it a reality of the market place, are we just trying to be pedantic here for the sake of argument??

and in regard to mix tapes/Cds, I would say this market has been affected 10 times more by Mp3 downloads, and the reason you don't see so many mix or Live cds, or CD album releases is because it's not so viable in the current climate when it's going to end up on soulseek straight away anyway.. This is why only really big artists are releasing Mix comps, as they're going to have to sell a fair few to cover the licencing costs to all the labels that have trax on the mix.. Still feel ok about downloading sets off SS?

Vinyl sales have decreased for a number of reasons in my opinion, Mp3 downloads have had an effect for sure, but there are other considerations that have to be made, there are many more people having a crack at producing and running the labels, and techno is no-where near as popular as it was 10 years ago, and this is a reality that has to be faced, no matter how much faith you have in the scene..

And legal action is not an option, there is simply not enough money in this scene to make it viable, Lawyers and going to court costs money, probably a damnsite more money that you are going to be awarded if you did win a case....

And in regard to the old chestnut "Djs earn in a night more than I earn all week", this is very easily said when you're sat in front of your computer bored at work, but stop to think for a minute for all the other weekends a DJ/Live act might not have a gig.. that might be their only gig of the month... which means that might just about only cover their rent for that month.. Because I'll tell you now from personal experience, there are very, very few artists that are booked every night, every weekend, and the ones that are probably don't even stop to think about Mp3 downloads as they are most probably earning enough for it not to bother them too much..
    This is what makes the difference between selling 1000 records and selling 1200, those 200 records could well be the profit that you are going to miss out on...
    And anyone out there who thinks it's their idea of a "Dream job" really has no idea what it entails to live this thing 24/7, and whilst for myself, I would never moan about it, (and count my blessings I don't work a shitty factory job) I would love to see them live their life as a touring Producer/DJ and then come back to me and say the same thing, being away from friends and family, having times when you don't know how you will pay your rent next month, having to travel long distances whilst REALLY tired, not being able to do what YOU want on a weekend, can really be a drag sometimes, and it's only pure love for the music and being lucky enough to do what you do that gets you through it, it ain't all living it up, private jets, fast cars and fast women, I can tell you that now.....

Anyway, Henry, sorry to hear someone pushed this under your nose so much, I had a similar experience once in Leipzig when someone showed me a white label they had pressed themselves of a very rare record of mine, although I was kind of impressed at the dedication that had driven someone to do that, and the original was nigh on impossible to get hold of....

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man

definitely. my point was - let`s not be hypocritical about the whole thing by being righteous about one aspect of the story and conveniently not even thinking about the other.
    non serviam

BOA Lifetime Member

Good points.

On vinyl sales decreasing....

Newspaper circulation is also decreasing. Titles like the times see a drop year on year. They shrank the paper to make it easier for people to take on the tubes & buses, but circualtion kept dropping. Meanwhile more and more people started using the times website for free.
    People like reading the times, they just didn't necessarily want it in print. If you combined online readership with print readership the actual readership base of the newspaper is growing. Same can be said about many other newspapers and magazines.

Its also the reason that the likes of channel 4 now run E4, More 4, Film 4, Channel 4 films etc.
    Channel 4 alone didn't cut it and was losing market share, but by creating new channels they were able to grow their base as a whole.

Its just business models changing. People still love music, and are still happy to pay for it. But they want it in different formats through dfferent means.
    Artists and djs need to redefine what they do and figure out how they are going to get paid for it. Nowadays it seems you need a fair few strings to your bow to make a good living from music.

Its pretty harsh though. There seems to be a glut of money in music for a select few, and comparatively little for the rest.

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace

Its just business models changing. People still love music, and are still happy to pay for it. But they want it in different formats through dfferent means.
    Artists and djs need to redefine what they do and figure out how they are going to get paid for it. Nowadays it seems you need a fair few strings to your bow to make a good living from music.

Its pretty harsh though. There seems to be a glut of money in music for a select few, and comparatively little for the rest.
    this is pretty much bang on point..
    The illegal download thing is not going to stop, you just have to work out ways around it, I personally make a lot more money out of performance than recordings, so this is what I'm trying to focus on more myself....

oldbugger

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    And in regard to the old chestnut "Djs earn in a night more than I earn all week", this is very easily said when you're sat in front of your computer bored at work, but stop to think for a minute for all the other weekends a DJ/Live act might not have a gig.. that might be their only gig of the month... which means that might just about only cover their rent for that month.. ...

totally understand..i'm self employed too and sometimes i dont know if i can cover my bills if i only have one job to do in a month.

get over it and go do something else if its a struggle, i'd do anything to earn money if i needed it. and i dont moan about it.

i get the impression that its not as tight as some like to make out though. :razz: :lol:

nobody is saying that its wrong to be pissed off some1 is stealing your work but at a guess i would say the promotion you get from illegal downloads more than likely does you more favours than harm (just a guess)

Supreme Freak

i don`t see where`s the problem. so, someone ripped promos? ****.
    now you will sell 1500 instead of 1800 records or whatever.
    :bash:

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by oldbugger

get over it and go do something else if its a struggle, i'd do anything to earn money if i needed it. and i dont moan about it.
    well, sometimes you have to struggle to get where you want, I'm just trying to point out that just because a DJ is getting paid 500 quid on a weekend doesn't mean they are getting that every weekend, and that being a DJ/Performer/Producer isn't necessarily a busmans holiday contrary to what a lot of people might think....

oldbugger

Quote Originally Posted by crime
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbugger

well, sometimes you have to struggle to get where you want, I'm just trying to point out that just because a DJ is getting paid 500 quid on a weekend doesn't mean they are getting that every weekend, and that being a DJ/Performer/Producer isn't necessarily a busmans holiday contrary to what a lot of people might think....
    i know..but i sure beats what a lot of folf do ;) :lol:

oldbugger

the typos wre all done on purpose you know :blush:

i meant..it beats what a lot of people on here do ;)

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast