Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Junior Freak

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBall View Post

Playing good tracks on ableton is all well and good, but don't dress it up like you're doing anything special - it's not, anyone could do it ! Besides, I don't like hearing 'good tracks' over and over, I want to hear the sound of a thousand people having their heads BLOWN TO BITS by a heaving, shambling mass ! These days I'd rather stay at home than go to a techno club, and that's a pretty shit state of affairs being as I once loved this music with a real PASSION. If I do go I spend most of the time chatting with friends and outside smoking. Oh, for the days when I'd be running around like a lunatic on NO DRUGS for 7 odd hours listening to bleeding edge brain wrongs ;-) Then again, this was before the days of TEH INTERNETS (which I reckon has homogenised things to a great extent)
    This is the process of growing older. Your tastes change. I remember discovering Acid and thinking that I would never stop listening to it, but now I rarely listen to even the classics. It's a painful process, so your rant is understood.

Supreme Freak

That's not the case, I'm afraid. I still listen to all the music I used to when I was a kid and still love it. If someone is doing something awesome and quaking then I'll dance to it - all I'm saying is that most people are NOT. It's not a case of growing older and my 'tastes changing' - far from it. I listen to as much music as I ever did and still get the same 'buzz' out of it. I'm not undergoing some kind of 'painful process' - don't presume this for it is not true. "This is the process of growing older" lol - some of us don't get boring with age ya know...
    I whip on horses at the rock jam sessions. I'm a rockstar.

Complete Scouse Noob

Quote Originally Posted by the_psychologist View Post

If you're a DJ and billed as as such, then what I expect is:

-No Trainwrecking (solved if you understand Ableton)
    -Good EQing (not solved by Ableton)
    -Good track selection (not solved by Ableton)
    -Good sequencing (not solved by Ableton)
    -Tasteful tricks (not solved by Ableton)
    -An overall ability to let the music dictate mixes and progression (not solved by Ableton)

As you can see, only a small part of DJing is "solved" by using Ableton and the like. The rest still comes with either being naturally gifted or having lots of practice. Now, to people who are already satisfying the above list, there is still infinite room for expansion using something like Live. For someone on 2 decks, where do you go from there? Not every style of music benefits from the scratch.
    this is the most sense anyone on this thread has said.

you could teach a monkey to beatmatch. (well maybe not)

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by the_psychologist View Post
    If you're billed as a Live PA, all that means is that you are appearing in person to perform your own music.
    Bingo!

BOA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Microdot View Post
    Bingo!
    Bingo!.. caller... now thats the next step... one man, one mic, 200 old ladies.

LIVE...

Supreme Freak

I can do bingo calling really good... check my lyrics... check my lyrics... uh ... yeah ... ah yeah... yo yo... feel me (etc etc)

TWO FAT LADIES .... SEVENTY ONE
    LEGS ELEVEN ... EIGHTEEN
    ALL THE THREES ... TWENTY FOUR

I'm good, baby, I'm good...
    I whip on horses at the rock jam sessions. I'm a rockstar.

Banned

No format seems able to prevent talentless, clueless cunts from getting into the DJ booth.

The only difference now is that these wankers have more technology to hide behind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aNaLpLeAsEr View Post
    No format seems able to prevent talentless, clueless cunts from getting into the DJ booth.

The only difference now is that these wankers have more technology to hide behind.
    LOL!

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by aNaLpLeAsEr View Post

So true! LOL!!
    LivePA
    That is all...

Junior Freak

bad dj's suck true enough......

so back on topic - I just got traktor scratch pro running with the audio 8 interface and I'm very happy with it - my days of buying vinyl are well and truly over.

I'm using the control vinyl and it's works a treat - you can even send the signal out via external mixer and then record it by sending the signal back into the interface and recording on the same laptop - clever stuff....

I used just the laptop and the sound card to dj at a friends birthday and it was fine (this wasn't really a mixing gig - just playing tunes) - but it got me thinking - If I get an external interface that I can hook up via midi I don't really need the djm500 and 1200's anymore - plus I could turn up to gigs without having to rewire the decks.....so whats the best interface out there for doing this?

I'm looking for a traditional fader type setup with knobs for the effects and probably some jog wheels for mixing...anybody got any advice on this?

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by lunatrick View Post
    bad dj's suck true enough......

so back on topic - I just got traktor scratch pro running with the audio 8 interface and I'm very happy with it - my days of buying vinyl are well and truly over.

I'm using the control vinyl and it's works a treat - you can even send the signal out via external mixer and then record it by sending the signal back into the interface and recording on the same laptop - clever stuff....

I used just the laptop and the sound card to dj at a friends birthday and it was fine (this wasn't really a mixing gig - just playing tunes) - but it got me thinking - If I get an external interface that I can hook up via midi I don't really need the djm500 and 1200's anymore - plus I could turn up to gigs without having to rewire the decks.....so whats the best interface out there for doing this?

I'm looking for a traditional fader type setup with knobs for the effects and probably some jog wheels for mixing...anybody got any advice on this?
    I just jumped into Traktor as well....using my Korg Zero8 for the interface and a Macbook Pro to drive the app...so far so good...actually quite fun considering I have never DJ'd before :D
    LivePA
    That is all...

Junior Freak

The hard disc and technology has changed everything, for the next generation, digital, DJ.

IMO I prefer vinyl, as thats what I was brought up on however the new breed of DJ's, remixers and producers may not appreciate such formats...

Why? Cause they werent round in this era.

They know: file sharing, pirate bay, mp3, ipod, mobile phone music.

Digital music, and technology, for the younger, or new generation disc jockey offers:

:Exellent Mobility - I seen kids on buses whos record bags are bigger than they are

:Flexibility with regards to the integration of audio, technology/software/hardware and even visuals/images/video

:Cost effective means to play a different set each weekend - cost prohibits most 16 year old aspiring DJs to play a fresh new set of Vinyl at their weekly Friday night slot they do. Belive it or not in some places you cant get Vinyl, or if you can you pay through the roof (take notice - malta is one of these places)

:Access to free demos and promos that all digital labels and stores provide users and listeners

:An easier means to create music across borders - the net allows quick and easy communcation and provides all the tools needed for two producers on other sides of the galaxy to collab on a track together

just some thoughts...

I never thought of it as format wars however - I mean all formats can compliment eachother, even within the same set or live PA.
    We offer Next Generation Producer Services for the next generation digital artist, label, producer and musician.
    http://www.headroomaudioservices.com

Junior Freak

I thought "PA" always stood for "public announcement"

wiki has an interesting definition..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_PA

Live PA, sometimes written LivePA, meaning Live Personal Appearance or Live Performance Artist is a term used to describe the act of performing, or appearing to perform, electronic music in a concert setting.

While the term "Live PA" literally means "Live Personal Appearance", a legal term originally used to protect promoters when performances are occasionally prerecorded, in common usage it refers to live performance of electronic music, via synthesizers, samplers, and sequencers.

In a performative context, the term was originally used to refer to live appearances, initially at rave events in the late 1980's, of studio based electronic dance music artists. The concept of the Live PA helped provide a public face for a scene that was criticised as faceless by the mainstream music press. The trend was quickly exploited by a music industry desperate to market dance music to a popular audience.
    We offer Next Generation Producer Services for the next generation digital artist, label, producer and musician.
    http://www.headroomaudioservices.com

Junior Freak

I use ableton, i have turntables and 100's of records too. but i prefer ableton!
    I aspire to be more creative then the common asshole.

Luke Creed - SoundCloud
    Luke Creed - Myspace
    Luke Creed - Facebook
    Inferno Magazine

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic9938_1.gif

BOA Newbie

How's it going guys. I have the pioneer 800's and was wondering how do i link the tunes from my laptop to the cdj's instead of burning disc's all the time. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Ultimate Freak

has the cdj's not got an sd card thingy? if so stick your tunes onto that and then load then onto the cdj's

Ultimate Freak

if your lappy craps out, or you are just too lazy to bring out your lappy and set it up.... with a bit of pre production, the same set can be played on CDs:

step one - render every tune from your ableton set at the same bpm.

step two - burn CDRs of these tunes at said bpm

step three - turn up to a gig and mix like the master of all CDJs (even on shitty old CDJ's!)

step four - tell no one what you have done and play it off like you just been practicing on the CD decks for a long time...

this is handy for squats and bars...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415