Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Dj-Richie-Parker

i prefer vinyl, thats me, and im not any less techno because of it, now that is a bit childish...
    please do not misqoute me.. read again what i said... in no way does it say that people that "prefer" vinyl are any less techno..

i dont perticularly like being misquoted on this topic

Deceptacon

whoever said that techno had to be played on dex? is there an unwritten rule? i firmly believe that anyone that has this "vinyl facist" state of mind is a lot less "techno" than the rest of us.
    in no way does that attack anyone for perfering vinyl. it refers to the idiots out there that think vinyl is the only format that is "acceptable"

BOA Newbie

sorry your rite there i missread ya, ;)

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Dj-Richie-Parker

djing is djing, using ableton is more music making so they cant really be compared...
    eh? :lol: :lol:

man you really gotta do some research.. there are hundres od people using ableton for djing..

BOA Newbie

Ok should have used the word "Can" they be compared..?

sorry i just dont see spinning discs in the same light as tweekin knobs and using a mouse, or even a crossfader on a laptop, im not saying one is better than the other im saying they are diferent...

so do you have a set worked out with ableton, or do you just decide "off da cuff" to pick a track out of the hard drive and cue it up with yer mouse etc...

Deceptacon

i do a half live/half dj set with it. i have all my live stuff already to go but it can be changed around as much as i like. withthe dj side of things i usually have a channel set up as my "bag" with about 30/40 tunes ready to go and can pick and choose, depending on crowd reaction. but then theres about 500/600 files on the hard drive anyway so i can pull them.

as for control.. how is it not like a "traditional" set up? have my midi contoller is set up for the live stuff and the other half is set up like a traditional dj mixer.. crossfader and all!!!

again ritchie... do the research! :)

Deceptacon

the ONLY differance is that i dont have to worry about beatmatching.. but i've djed with vinyl for so long now that that wasnt an issue anyway.. so really all i've done is given myself more time to work the mix and get it sounding better for the crowd. which is what really matters.

BOA Lifetime Member

I like them all

One of the major pitfalls with ableton and controllers is the high latency tho. Does anyone know if this has been solved? I think with plenty of controllers an ableton set would probably be as interesting stage show as someone on the decks.

Deceptacon

i use my controller midi'd up to an audiophile usb soundcard with absolutly no latency issues at all... i think its about .021 or something ridiculasly low. doesnt affect my performance at all.

Junior Freak

I really like the fact that there are more and more live sets now via Ableton live and other software. I think that is something that brings underground music and playing techno up to a whole new level.

But it just wouldn't be the same for me to not play techno with vinyl (live own music Ableton sets aside). The act of using the records, mixer, and turntables as tools...so real...you can see everything that is happening and one can have so much fun manipulating the big disc on the decks and flipping it around when you take it out of the sleeve :) I understand things are changing but I have always known vinyl....tried cds and yes it's ok but not even near the same. I always liked the fact that the underground records are so special and unique...cool sleeves and art or the stealth white label.
    Techno. Drum and Bass.

Supreme Freak

why does it have to be about one medium? i occasionally use cds, but the majority of my digital stuff now goes into ableton. in here i mix entire tracks with my own loops and producitons, and cut up loops of others material. i apply filters, delays, reverb, side chain compression etc. this is all controlled via a midi controller, which has a knob assigned to tempo so i can mix this with vinyl

how is that a war?

BOA Lifetime Member

I don't see why this is such an issue. Whatever someone chooses to use, if the end result sounds good - fair play to 'em.

It's a shame that record sales are falling and distributors & labels are going out of business but that's time moving on for ya, either you roll with the punches and look at new ways to make your quid or you quit it and get a job flipping burgers - the same goes for anything that's totally built on change and finding new ways to say bollocks to the status quo.

Personally I love my vinyl, as long as it's there I'll buy it as there's no way downloading an mp3 can compare with actually holding that lovely warped, scratched, heavy, awkward, archaic circle of yesterday's news in my hands - but I'm just into techno to enjoy myself and those stupid expensive records themselves are part of where I get my kicks.

I vote we just let nature take it's course, use whatever we personally choose to use and get back to talking about which tunes do the business whatever format you happen to be playing them in. ;)
    Oh wow - myspace :coffee: http://www.myspace.com/robsoliton

Parsnip

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide
    One of the major pitfalls with ableton and controllers is the high latency tho. Does anyone know if this has been solved? I think with plenty of controllers an ableton set would probably be as interesting stage show as someone on the decks.
    The high-end A&H mixers have latency issues too.

You sure as hell can't scratch with 'em.

BOA Lifetime Member

I invested in a laptop and final scratch because I had stopped buying music as it was too expensive. Now I buy loads, and lots of weirder things that I could never have afforded before.
    If you only have £20/30 to spend each month you can end up playing it really safe with what you buy if you only buy vinyl.
    Playing out I'll use a mix of vinyl and digital - had too many horrors with technology failing. Always good to have a backup plan...

Incidentally djing isnt the art of playing bits of plastic consecutively using turntables, its just the art of playing other people's music. Format has nothing to do with it.

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pace

Incidentally djing isnt the art of playing bits of plastic consecutively using turntables, its just the art of playing other people's music. Format has nothing to do with it.
    :clap:

oldbugger

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech

:clap: :clap:
    exactly.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldbugger

exactly.
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just thought I'd join in. :clown:
    Oh wow - myspace :coffee: http://www.myspace.com/robsoliton

oldbugger

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by robin m
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbugger

exactly.
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just thought I'd join in. :clown:
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Junior Freak

Well as most Dj,s starting out I was the vinyl junkie but now with the digital era coming along Im moving on I,ve sold off the old set up & im now using 3 cdj,s & final scratch.
    My reason for doing this most of all is it,s cheaper in the long run with your average tune costing between a £1 - £2 which mean,s I can buy more & they don,t clog up my room the same I personally think vinyl is on it,s last legs with all the technology of today but that,s me I also think with a cdj you can do some much more with the music looping etc I do still love to spin vinyl but im really into the technical side of dj,ing but at the end of the day each to their own & when it come,s down to it when your in a club doe,s it really matter what format the music is being played on as long as it,s good music I don,t care!!
    Underground Techno=D.a.v.e The Drummer=The Daddy!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast