Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    It is inevitable.

im doing a mix as we speak on Acid Pro 4.0 and it really aint that easy, trying to get everything mapped perfectly is bloody hard!
    Bás Ar An Impireacht

Deceptacon

cheat

:lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
    but its a world of differance telling someone that what they play isnt valid because of the format.
    I dunno who says that nowadays unless they are using shit quality mp3s which have been badly ripped from someones dirty vinyl collection. ;)
    Only thing I have ever said in relation to some digital mixes is that the bass is lacking and the highs are too sharp. Which can be fixed if the DJ bother his ass or cant be left alone if he doesnt give a **** about what I say ;)

Anyway. As sunil said. If its broke dont fix it. I enjoy buying vinyls and playing them as they tend to sound better than a random collection of songs, at varying bitrates ripped from soulseek and mixed in abelton. You see. If its a load of highquality MP3S mixed on abelton with a decent soundcard there is no problem for me (and for Sunil)

The way i see it in the 90s you could have shite djs but the sound coming off the record most likley gonna be prety good.
    Now you have some shite djs not caring about the sound quality of what they play coming out of the onboard soundcard of a dell laptop (i have lots of experience of this). Thats were some of us get annoyed.
    Last edited by massplanck; 08-04-2008 at 02:20 PM.

BOA Lifetime Member

same goes the opposite way - if someones digital sets are better than their vinyl then say it to them...
    Yeah, but when is that ever the case? :)

but its a world of differance telling someone that what they play isnt valid because of the format.
    Well yeah, that is a bit ridiculous alright. It's not even snobbery, it's just a bit silly really. I still like those people though, they mean well!

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunil View Post
    Rob Hall.

But even listening to his (amazing sets) online I still find the bass or oomph lacking and the highs to high. Maybe thats just me.

Deceptacon

you've obviously not heard my attempts at playing vinyl lately :lol: :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by massplanck View Post
    Rob Hall.

But even listening to his (amazing sets) online I still find the bass or oomph lacking and the highs to high. Maybe thats just me.
    Ok, there might be a few exceptions maybe, but not many!
    I thought Rob was equally good if not better on decks, but yeah I agree that he is getting a good buzz going with his laptop alright.

BOA Lifetime Member

you've obviously not heard my attempts at playing vinyl lately :lol: :lol:
    You're just out of practice, that's all :)

BOA Lifetime Member

Ok, there might be a few exceptions maybe, but not many!
    I thought Rob was equally good if not better on decks, but yeah I agree that he is getting a good buzz going with his laptop alright.
    Never heard him on decks. But his laptop sets are as much about selection (easier hunting down obscure stuff in the digital age?) as mixing I reckon. Missing the oomph I say. But still excellent stuff. I dont know of other who are as good, but you sure couldnt tell the difference with Dave Clarke since he started using the CDJs and Wavs\MP3s

Ive seen BMB at least three times banging it out on abelton and I dunno why I just dont like the sound coming from it. Their sets are good but again (maybe from nostalgia) is to fecking digtal\abelton sounding for me. I dunno why. Its lifeless sometimes. Then again others think their sets are the best out there,

Deceptacon

again its all how they prepare them

a lot of people just bang tracks and loops out with loads of fx without thinking bout the output sound from the master

a high quality analog modelling compressor and eq can make a world of differance.

BOA Lifetime Member

again its all how they prepare them

a lot of people just bang tracks and loops out with loads of fx without thinking bout the output sound from the master

a high quality analog modelling compressor and eq can make a world of differance.

yeah but thats the problem, alot of people arent thinking about the output sound of the mixer because before they didnt have to worry about it!

You dont need a high quality analog modelling compressor and external eq with a set of decks.
    Last edited by massplanck; 08-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Deceptacon

You dont need a high quality analog modelling compressor and external eq with a set of decks.
    which is exactly why some sets lack punch.

ableton is all to easy for every tom, dick & harry to just plug in and play - no understanding of how differant sounds work on differant systems.. but thats why the cream always rises.

we know this from vinyl too - sure, any joe soap can get a gig playing records, but he has to be good to get a second one.

im pretty sure that if my digital sets sounded flat and lacking oomph i probably wouldnt get 1/4 of the gigs that i do. but i make damn sure that i take the time to make sure they sound good.
    Last edited by rhythmtech; 08-04-2008 at 03:01 PM.

BOA Lifetime Member

which is exactly why some sets lack punch.

ableton is all to easy for every tom, dick & harry to just plug in and play - no understanding of how differant sounds work on differant systems.. but thats why the cream always rises.

we know this from vinyl too - sure, any joe soap can get a gig playing records, but he has to be good to get a second one.

im pretty sure that if my digital sets sounded flat and lacking oomph i probably wouldnt get 1/4 of the gigs that i do.

I know that. You care about the sound. Its going through a proces of evolution at the moment. Its getting there.. but for me its not at the stage where every tom dick and harry can start digital djing and the *sound quality* is consistently savage.

Weve all had experience of shitty soundsystems. But now there seems to be the added worry of shitty sounding mp3s being pumped through a shitty system where as before you could at least be certain that the bits inbetween the trainwrecks were good quality! Aslo in the 90's you could be pretty sure that a release was mastered by someone who knew what they were doing, nowaday thats process is getting overlooked quite a bit with *some* digital releases. If you aint making the money of digital releases like you did on vinyl then you are gonna have to cut corners somewhere

One other thing about vinyl is the social aspect of it. I love going into a shop and chatting & meeting new people and talking face to face (not on the keyboard) about music. Seeing their facial expressions and shit. And its great when mates call around with bags of records and play music for each other. Its not the same if the all call up with laptops and nobody has a clue how to dj on the other persons setup (nevermind where their music can be found on the hardrive) and everyone spends more time ****ing with their own laptop then enjoying the communal hippy vinyl music buzz. ;)

Deceptacon

One other thing about vinyl is the social aspect of it. I love going into a shop and chatting & meeting new people and talking face to face (not on the keyboard) about music. Seeing their facial expressions and shit. And its great when mates call around with bags of records and play music for each other.
    i still do that.. i just dont spend any money in the shop :lol: :lol:

nothing more fun than wasting sunil's time and then walking out empty handed.. even better if you make him reach up for the vinyls that are up high :lol:

Deceptacon

I know that. You care about the sound.
    i think its also to do with playing my own tracks in wav format. if i was to play shitty low quality mp3s alongside them they would sound gash!

BOA Lifetime Member

i still do that.. i just dont spend any money in the shop :lol: :lol:

nothing more fun than wasting sunil's time and then walking out empty handed.. even better if you make him reach up for the vinyls that are up high :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

i think its also to do with playing my own tracks in wav format. if i was to play shitty low quality mp3s alongside them they would sound gash!
    WAV Purists are full of shit. ;)

Deceptacon

WAV Purists are full of shit. ;)
    everything is shit for maxell 90 minute metal tapes with dolby NR..

although the 120 mins were cool they lacked the sound quality

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBlack View Post
    im doing a mix as we speak on Acid Pro 4.0 and it really aint that easy, trying to get everything mapped perfectly is bloody hard!
    sack it off and do the mix in ableton

Deceptacon

danny's a bit too simple ableton.. he likes schranz init.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast