Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

Default **format wars** vinyl ? mp3 ? cd ? turntables ? ableton ?

discuss it all in here please, whats your preference.

do you love buying those big round bits of plastic ?
    or do you prefer playing cd's, or downloading and using the latest mp3's with final scratch or ableton ?

this is the place for the format wars, let battle commence
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

M.O.D.

awesome...nice one dan!

now...VINYL FOREVER YOU TOSSERS! ;)
    The law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true justice is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us to liberty and mutual respect. - Jimmy Carter

Deceptacon

to be honest it really doesnt matter what the current debate is cause its always the same. humans, it would seem to me, are very much against change, so no matter whether its mp3 vs. vinyl, analog vs. digital ... or whatever. theres always gonna be debates but what happens will happen.. i for one will keep buying mp3s and a little bit of vinyl that i cant get on mp3..

there you go. all sorted.

DAN.. you can close this thread now!!!

Ultimate Freak

who cares.

BOA Newbie

does anyone have any concrete figures on the sale of vinyl etc, or anything concrete to suggest mp3 will take over vinyl...

i know it would be hard to nail down evidence like that but mabey someone here has some deeper insight into sales etc..???

I know people are gona say "stop worrying" just enjoy your vinyl etc, but id like to quench some fears :paranoid:

BOA Lifetime Member

You`ve come in a bit late on this one man.
    Records shops falling like flies, distributers too, even pressing plants now.
    I know of two more record shops just this week.
    There`s no heresay, vinyl IS dying.
    It will never completely die, but the bubble has burst.
    Time to get with the future.
    Solitary by nature.
    Isolation is the gift.
    Does anyone have courage to stand apart any more?

myspace.com/dirtybassgrooves
    http://www.myspace.com/dirtybassvoidloss
    http://www.subgenius.com

BOA Mod

Vinyl will die.. the means of production are leaving the planet and the young ones have little or no experience of touching it.

oldbugger

totally changed my views on this lately and i have been buying loads of mp3's off beatport.

i didnt have to go into town, i didnt have to talk shite to the knobhead in my local record shop or i dint have to go to the post office collection depot to pick up the records i have been waiting for all week either.

CD's have never really figured in my world and it seems cd's have been passed by already.. lets face it..whos gonna spend £1300 on a apir of good cd players when you can get a shit hot laptop and a legit copy of ableton and a decent controller for less?

like some tit i know has just done :lol:

loving the whole mp3 thing at the moment.

also i have a couple of hard drives rather than half my house being taken up.
    ;)

acieeeeeeeeeeeeed

back them upto dvd or cd though oldbugger, or you will cry if one of your hard drives goes down
    Life is "trying things to see if they work"

Finally getting around to updating my site
    http://www.plus27design.co.uk/

Dave knows scooter lyrics

oldbugger

Quote Originally Posted by dan the acid man
    back them upto dvd or cd though oldbugger, or you will cry if one of your hard drives goes down
    will do mate..

got myself a nice big external harive recently to back up all my music on and a dvd writer.

got over 300gig of shit now :lol:

BOA Newbie

yea well for me the vinyl is a part of the passion, bulky as it may be i still loves it.., warts n all

Junior Freak

the question is this: will vinyl die completely or not, what I mean is that I like vinyl and I will buy it as long as I can play with it on a party night. When there is no more turntables on partys and no more vinyls to come by, than it`s all over. I don`t care if somebody use something else, I just don`t want to stop mixing the analog way. So will it happen? Will vinyl die completely or not?

BOA Newbie

Who is to know..?? im afraid of it becomming mandatory to just have cd dex in a club and mabey one vinyl turnable...:paranoid:

I think it would be a big mistake to let this happen, it would be hard to stop this happening though..lets face it the mp3 cd ableton method has alot going for it...

i think buying a vinyl was a part of dance becomming so unique and cool..??

I think it would be a shame to let it go because of other methods of djing and playing music have more advantages...

It would be like getting rid of your mrs. who you love and grew up with for a broad which has big tits and fancy features, and who isnt as much work..!

I like that description..

So basically all you guys giving up vinyl, shame on you..

You may as well go out and commit adultry...!! :lol:

oldbugger

not given up...just enjoying ableton too much.

It would be like getting rid of your mrs. who you love and grew up with for a broad which has big tits and fancy features, and who isnt as much work..!
    i did that too. :lol:

Supreme Freak

well there are audiophiles out there still paying into the tens of thousands of dollars for turntables and cartridges and preamps, so i *know* that vinyl as a medium wont die any time soon.

what kind of music still makes it to vinyl is another question. techno? hard to say, since it's mostly skint kids buying it, not rich old farts. but still i think there will always be a small demand for vinyl from purists and collectors.

i think it would be cool if labels put out vinyl as a limited edition collectors sort of thing a few months earlier than the cd/mp3 release. maybe different mixes so the vinyl holds it's value.
    free marc emery!

BOA Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Evil G
    what kind of music still makes it to vinyl is another question. techno? hard to say, since it's mostly skint kids buying it, not rich old farts. .
    Even though vinyl is more expensive..? i suppose turtables are cheaper than cd dex or laptops..!

But i dunno, where is the love gone people..!

I still find it exiting to order tracks and have it arrive, open it up, give em a quick sniff and cue em up...Rarrrrrrrrr!!!

Try sniffin an mp3!

Deceptacon

Quote Originally Posted by Dj-Richie-Parker

I like that description..

You may as well go out and commit adultry...!! :lol:
    sorry ritchie but i find that quite insulting. i've had been playing vinyl for ten years nearly and then switched to ableton. now, ableton is easy to use badly but then again so are dex. any idiot can string the end of to tracks together on dex.

the amount of work that goes into an ableton set is unreal and the amount of practice to get it right is huge.

also... whoever said that techno had to be played on dex? is there an unwritten rule? i firmly believe that anyone that has this "vinyl facist" state of mind is a lot less "techno" than the rest of us.

i realise shops, labels & plants are closing and it really saddens me but throwing the blame on anyone that chooses a differant medium is childish. maybe the labels should look to themselves for reasons.
    unfortunatly what happens is that the smaller, better labels take the hit for the mistakes of the bigger labels that can afford the slump.

one other thing... why do all the "vinyl ONLY" crew spend their days moaning about and belittling digital users? have you all nothing better to be doing? cause i sure as hell dont hear much complaining about vinyl from our side. or maybe its just that we've learned to embrace the changes...

oldbugger

still find it exiting to order tracks and have it arrive,
    yeah finally.. when you can manage to go and collect them coz your never in when they deliver them.

great that.

i was the biggest die hard vinyl junkie once. but now there are so easier ways to get music.

its nothing to do with how cheap decks are or whatever.. i already have them. its about whats a better format. and right now..for me its certainly not vinyl.. far from it.

BOA Newbie

jees dont take some much offence, no need to defend your actions

i aint moaning, my post was ment as more of a laugh...

i prefer vinyl, thats me, and im not any less techno because of it, now that is a bit childish...

sorry if i came accross that people are krap because of not being a vinlyl junkie like me, i know im being more closed minded on the whole thing, i probably will conceed eventually, but not just yet..

djing is djing, using ableton is more music making so they cant really be compared...

BOA Newbie

[quote="rhythmtech"] any idiot can string the end of to tracks together on dex. quote]

i hate that, i dont think i could do that anymore, ya just gotta manipulate

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast